POST PAK 40 & NEW HALFTRACK FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ogravl
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ogravl » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:30 pm

They are for sighting (distance)

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:31 pm

It is an "aiming stake" used in zeroing in an anti-tank gun, artillery or mortar. Stakes are usually used in sets of three. All aiming stakes are basically the same whatever country uses them. Towed pieces carry the "aiming stakes" strapped to the "trails" (legs) of the gun.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:15 pm

Lol I was pretty well off on that one. :roll:

Thanks for the correct information TTT.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:23 pm

Thanks for the answer! :D
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:41 am

I think your thinking of the red Home depot flag you put on the end of wood when its sticking out your trunk. I bet thats what they would used in the back of the PAK 40 when it was being towed. :D

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:03 pm

Fitzystigertank wrote:I think your thinking of the red Home depot flag you put on the end of wood when its sticking out your trunk. I bet thats what they would used in the back of the PAK 40 when it was being towed. :D
:lol: So next time I'll just pretend all that lumber hanging out of the trunk is a PaK 40! 8)

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:10 pm

During WW2, nothing was hung from the barrels of towed guns to warn following drivers.

Post WW2, a two light warning system was strapped on to towed guns. The lights were connected to the towing vehicle and pluged into the trailer power plug at the back of the truck or prime mover. That way, just like trailer lights, following vehicles would see when the tow vehicle hit it's brakes were applied and lit when truck's lights were on.

It's OT but.....

I owned two of these light systems (bought surplus) and used one when towing my 57mm Anti tank gun. You'd be suprised what used to be sold as brand new surplus. A buddy of mine bought a big crate (sealed and unmarked) at a blind auction for around $50. He took a chance. Turned out the crate contained 5,000 Browning machine gun carry handles for the A6 .30 caliber gun. After a few months, he resold them all (at $10 per) to the IDF and two South American countries. Quite a profit......Oh, and I got a junk for bringing the crate home in my M-37. My buddy had brought a small truck to the auction. Gotta love Uncle Sam's auctions.. :roll:

TTT

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:13 pm

:shock: Wow, thats some story TTT! Lucky guy he was with that crate! :lol:

So you towed a AT gun on public roads? If so I'd love to have seen the looks on peoples faces.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:59 pm

Now we're really OT:

Towing an anti-tank gun? Nobody cared. Gun was legal and like any piece of construction equiptment on it's own trailer, a towed piece of artillery doesn't need plates or insurance, it's covered by the towing vehicle's iinsrance and reggie. I stored the gun and towed it to shows and parades where it was towed or displayed with our WC-62 Dodge or M-3 White Half-track........You can pick up stuff like that, just about anywhere. :roll:

TTT

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:41 am

Hi guys,

A was wondering why there was so little interest about the post I made about the M16 and 486thAA Battalion ?

Any interest ? Already talked about ?

phil

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:10 pm

Found all four at the Princeton, Illinois Walmart today. At first I found only the Stuka zu Fuss on the shelf and 2 M151, 1 M48 and the #13 halftrack. I aked the toy girl and she gave me the "what ever is out is all we have" line. I found another associate with a telzon and she checked the number and said they had 17 on hand. Finding 5 on the floor that meant another 12 had to be in back, 3 boxes. Undaunted I asked for a manager and explained what I wanted to him. He paged the toy girl and started to look around, counting the 1/32 vehicles towards the 17 on hand. After convincing him they were a different item altogether he started to page the toy girl again when she amazingly arrived with another box!

Ray

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:18 pm

The Wal Mart in Selma Ca (where I first found the new armor in my area) has restocked all four of the vehicles again. I think I may need to get another Pak-40, but I'll hold out for something new that I don't already have.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:24 pm

"what ever is out is all we have"

Walden 2:3
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:07 pm

Still nothing in any of my 6 area WM. Weird thing, one WM must have at least 50 packs of Soviet block and Nato 1/6th weapons. They sell no other 1/6th Ultimate Soldier at all so thats extra weird. I have a feeling they will be there for a long time.

On the other hand, the 32X stuff is overflowing. If I had room for both XD and 32X I'd be buying like crazy but no such luck.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:35 am

OK, OK....so I jumped on the BCA wagon when they offered these jewels with no shipping and got them yesterday.

I am just amazed at all those I received. The engineer Pzkfw 251, I love with the 2.8 gun. I having been planning on mounting the 2.8 DID gun in 1/6 on one of my Armor Hobboies Pzkfw 250's and now the fire has been lit under me. I also have the DML 2.8 gun, but that is so cool on decent wheels......the DID has these fruity little paratroop wheels :roll:

The PAK 40 is terrific.

The M-16 is great, only one problem.....the color is much darker than it should be for WW2. Closer to the semi-gloss of post war and Korea. Except, of course for the "Invasion circle" around the hood star which was not used after the war, I'd say the M-16 is for Korean War.

Still think they are great.

Bring on more, oh mighty gods of plastic toys. :?

TTT

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:44 am

Hi guys,

any idea where I can find 1:18 stencil for US vehicles ?

Thanks.

phil

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:18 pm

Phil:

I can't find stencils for 1/18 except "John's Stuff" and his 1/18decals are for German stuff only.

Must be somebody around, with U.S. decals or stencils.

TTT

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Grognard, can you point me to them ? I didn't find them even with the search engine :(

Thanks.

phil

Law
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Law » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:01 am

I'm not sure where BigBad keeps these things, but I think the site in question is BigBadToystore, which is in general a very reliable and great online dealer, though their selection of military stuff is very thin.

www.bigbadtoystore.com

Law

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:18 am

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:27 pm

thanks a lot guys :D
My M16 will be soon part of the 486thAA Battalion :D

phil

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Well, the new stuff is finally showing up in Arkansas...

We're only the freaking HOME of Wal-Mart, and it seem's like we're the last ones to get stuff...

Saw both halftracks in NW Arkansas on Saturday (wasn't able to get an M16 then, but I found them in Central AR tonight and was able to get one.)
- - - - - - - - -
All of us have skeletons in the closet. Only some of us have bodies in the freezer, though...

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:41 pm

Had to pick up some stuff from WM today. No new items, just few dusty XD figs and as usual a ton of 32x aircraft, armor and figure sets.

Oh well, according to UPS my Pioneerwagen, PaK 40 and M16 will be at my door Tuesday. :D
With my luck the new stuff will show up at an AO WM shortly after i receive those. :roll:
I'm glad to get em but the $30 or so I would have saved getting them in the store woulda bought another G.I. Joe army builder 6-pack! :P