New Toys Milennium Panzer IV

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

New Toys Milennium Panzer IV

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:31 pm

Well, here's me, wondering around Wally toy dept and here I find this new tank.....as a matter of fact, five of them. RC, price is list price, $49.

Does it need to be said, that I bought one?

It is a Panzer with the short barrel 75mm gun. No armor skirts but the hooks are there to hang the skirts on. The turret has the extra armor, witch snaps right off, BTW.

My question for you German armor guys is....what exactly do I have. From the pics previously posted by the new guy, do I have a Panzer II? and what model do I have.

Haven't tried the RC, and as a matter of fact, I don't even care if the RC works. I sure like the tank. It's not 21C, but it's in the Motorworks box.

All hatches open, but why? No depth at all to the openings.

So, what have I got??

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:35 pm

Sounds like you have this TTT.

viewtopic.php?t=6242&start=0
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

gary1930
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gary1930 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:42 pm

Sounds like an early Pz IV, probably a D model with the short 75mm gun.

Or it could be a Pz III J which had the same gun.

Pz IIs only had a 2 cm gun.

Can you post a pic?

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:15 pm

Gary:

Two minites out of the box. Bussle storage box removed and armor shield removed from turret.

TTT

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:28 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

When did the MK IVD come out???? I HAVE to have that. They should of released it as a regular model. Wow, that is indeed news to me.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:04 pm

Wow! That is beautiful! I've always loved the PZIII and IV series. I too wish they would have released that as a regular model.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

gary1930
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gary1930 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:27 pm

Thanks, Charlie, you lucky dog!
They will probably make it down here this time next year.
Too bad they left the hangers for the Shutzen on it. Those didnt come until the H model.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:19 pm

Thanks for the pic and the news!

Time to go hunting for one now! :lol:

Jeff

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:50 pm

I think I'll pass on the RC version and wait for the non-rc version. :wink:

7thva_hunter
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by 7thva_hunter » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:17 pm

that will be a good one without the RC.
XD aholic

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:25 pm

I can't wait to find the RC version for $10-$15 dollars. Those things just sit at every WM I visit. they restocked most of them over the summer and are just putting them back out to sit on the shelves through Christmas.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:43 pm

The WallyW where I found these today (Woodbridge, NJ) has had nothing for two months except the same M-113 (RC). Today, BAM, five of the "Panzer II's" and four M-113's.

Could be because the other day I had customer service and five stockers go up and down every aisle looking for any of the new half-tracks......and all they came up with was the same M-113, I've been looking at for months. Just can't believe that a NJ store was one of the first for these really neat little tanks. :wink: That in itself is a first.....

TTT

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:21 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:I had customer service and five stockers go up and down every aisle looking for any of the new half-tracks......
Wow! I'm lucky to get WM employees to answer a question with their pre-programed response let alone get them to assemble a team to scour the aisles looking for halftracks! Did you threaten them with a can of mace or something? :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:51 am

No threats were involved. I just was lucky enough to hit on a nice young lady who, while not willing or able to use the photocopied skin #'s I had brought, she asked me if I had spoken to a guy in toys. I lied and said nobody was in toys. She orders "Come with me" and went with me and on the way, every stock person we passed, she ordered to "follow us". By the time we got to toys, we had a posse :lol:

I never said Wally people were the brightest stars in the sky, but I have always found them helpful.

Yesterday, when I bought my new tank, the checkout girl recognized me and says "Another tank?" and she turns to the wifey and says "When HE comes up to me with a twinkle in his eyes, I know the twinkle is not for my good looks, that there is another tank in the cart'" Is that a good thing? To be recognized in Wallyworld? 8) Maybe it's my fabulous good looks, maybe it's my swelt body......maybe I'm just a pathetic old guy buying toys...... :shock:

TTT

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:55 am

WOW Now this is New & what a nice surprise too :D

I`ve always been a fan of the panzer IV series though i do actually like the Panzer III & II series too,so An Excellent surprise & something to add to my NEW YEAR list :D

Thank You very much for sharing this wonderfull news.

Ja
Steel Bonnet
My 1/18th Custom World. Updated 15th Dec.
http://www.freewebs.com/steelbonnet/

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:16 am

I have got to have one of these! DAK! DAK! DAK! Woooooo!!!

Sorry, I got a little carried away. lol

Thanks for the intel TTT. :D
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:57 am

This has actually been the topic of discussion for the last few days here:

viewtopic.php?t=6242

It's closest to an Panzer IVE or early F. Could be used as an A-D depending on how picky you are. You really would have to remove the back storage bin on the turret for those early versions and as you can see the turret looks too short to me...rework would need to be done as the cupola shouldn't overhang.

Other than that it's a sweet surprise.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:02 am

That overhang is a separate armor ring placed at the base of the cupola. It's not attached to the cupola itself, and isn't super securly affixed. You could probably just cut it off. Let me see if I can rustle up a photo of the Panzer IV turret I hacked to get the Early Production cupola effect for my Tiger.

Here ya go.

Armor ring removed.

Okay, it looks like there's more to it than I remembered. If I remember correctly, I just pried the ring off. Still, it shouldn't be too difficult to make the necessary mods to bring it back to an Ausf D.

Okay. Here's a correction. I located a diagram showing the Panzer IV's turret evolution.

It looks like there would be a fairly significant amount of modification required to take it back even to an Ausf G, let alone an Ausf D or B(it now appears my DAK Ausf G has an incorrect cupola in addition to the wrong main gun.). Also, you'd have to modify the side hatches. Not as simple as I initially thought. :oops:
Last edited by flpickupman on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:09 am

ah.....shouldn't be too hard to get rid of then. There should be a curved contour behind the cupola, on the outside of the turret. I don't think it wouldn't be too hard to make and add something like that to the back of the turret....maybe using a small plastic pill bottle or something.

It should make a fairly decent D after that. Still a few detail differences but i'm not so worried about those. Very happy to have this available.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:29 am

Aferg, just a note; the small outer ring is a molded part of the turret, but should be easy enough to knock out with a Dremel.
-W.C. Fields

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:37 am

actually, it's probably simpler to leave the turret ring on and just make the rear turret contour. Also, many Panzer E's and F's had the rear turret stowage bin, so it is correct to leave the bin on with the short barreled gun..the turret skirts need to go though.

As your pictures point out there are several detail differences between the short and long barreled versions, but they're all somewhat minor. The most important detail is the short barrelled gun, with antanna deflector and that's covered. The grey paint job's cool too... :wink:

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:36 am

-W.C. Fields

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 am

I spotted the new Panzer IV at WM In McDonough GA - only one - with no other new items though. It looks great - but Id rather not spend $49.99 for a RC - it is pretty much the same tank as the 1:32 scale one.

I ran that puppy to the nearest price scanner hoping for one of those famous price mistakes.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:59 am

After looking at it for two days, I've put back on the "bussle" to make the tank a Panzer IV Ausf. F1.

A little pricey but I think it's a very good Panzer. Great companion for the Panzer IV. Sure can live without the RC.....as usual, geared too fast to be realistic and the recoil of the tank when the gun is fired is just unrealistic. It junps back about 10".. Sound effects are nice but it's sure a "battery eater". No rechargables like the 1/16 tanks on the market.

All in al, a neat tank, I'll be buying more to make other models........when either 21C makes a non RC version or Wally puts them ln clearance. :wink:

Given the fact that I've never seen one of our toys on clearance in my AO, despite the fact that the M-113 gathers dust with no clearance and a pile of the "1/6 Abrams" and 1/6 Hummers just sat for months. So long the boxes on the bottom started to collapse from the weight of tanks on it. Still no clearance, until one day, they just disapeared. :?:

TTT

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:07 am

They did one of two things. They either shipped em back to the main warehouse, or they simply put em in the stock room. I've seen pieces disappear and reappear in my stores from time to time.
-W.C. Fields