BBI: watch this space

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:28 pm

I am very surprised@what BBI had planned for the Hellcat. I can deal with not having the extra features, the moveable surfaces will keep me content, but man it would have been great to have had all those features!

Mike, had all the features been implemented, what would the msrp would have been? Would it have been more expensive than the Hornet and Falcon?

Also what is the current msrp planned for the hellcat as is? If you guys sell it for $50 then you got me sold! And will it be@TRU? Man the hellcat is AWESOME and knowing its BBI makes me happy!(I love the quality and durability/build of BBI products....it was my first foray into 1/18 scale with the hornet and the mustang floored me, I can only imagine what the corsair is like and also what awesomeness the hellcat will behold!). Toys that are fairly accurate, look great, and are
DURABLE, truly the toy for the big boy, and I anticipate the release of the hellcat with much eagerness.

B/w now and then its time to play catch up by getting the falcon, corsair and zero.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:49 pm

Mike, how about an 1:18th scale T-28 Trojan? You have yours to use to get all the details right. How cool would that be? Without training aircraftl like the T-28, there would be no one to fly jets. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:31 pm

I think if more features where added like the kind Mike said they wanted to add would give more depth and realism, for those that like to do drama scenes where the crew chief is working of the engine all night before a bid mission. Or on the A-10 the ordinance crew removing the 30mm GAU-8/A Gatling for routine maintenance. I basically treat them as oversized models that I frequently display in different ways.

While some of you are happy with the status quo that cool, and most of you can modify or make highly detailed changes and that cool. But what about the vast majority of us that can’t cut or fabricate detailed parts if our life depended on it.

I don’t speak for those that don’t want the extra features I speak for those that do, I myself sent one of my Bbi hornets to some one to correct the problems that Bbi forgot to include or fix and I am spending a great deal on that project.

For you guys that are happy with the level of detail that the 1:18 scale companies put out I am happy for you.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:43 pm

Well, my dream for 1:18 aircraft was to have opening engine covers, but I can honestly say the Hellcat does NOT need them. Not much to see on the side of a radial engine. Now the Mustang on the other hand really needs opening engine covers. The opening .50 cals would be nice, but I can live without them.

No offence, but the removable cockpit from the Zero is useless, I think that was a total waste, I would rather have movable cowl flaps, which I dont know why no one has made yet.

But anyway, we will have a Hellcat, detailed or not, and thats better than nothing.

Save the money for another WWII plane with engine detail, opening cowl flaps, and opening gun covers. :wink:
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:06 am

VMF115 wrote:I think if more features where added like the kind Mike said they wanted to add would give more depth and realism, for those that like to do drama scenes where the crew chief is working of the engine all night before a bid mission. Or on the A-10 the ordinance crew removing the 30mm GAU-8/A Gatling for routine maintenance. I basically treat them as oversized models that I frequently display in different ways.

While some of you are happy with the status quo that cool, and most of you can modify or make highly detailed changes and that cool. But what about the vast majority of us that can’t cut or fabricate detailed parts if our life depended on it.

I don’t speak for those that don’t want the extra features I speak for those that do, I myself sent one of my Bbi hornets to some one to correct the problems that Bbi forgot to include or fix and I am spending a great deal on that project.

For you guys that are happy with the level of detail that the 1:18 scale companies put out I am happy for you.

For me, the detail issue is cost. I am not happy with paying more for a model due to a couple additional details that I won't use. Prices are already going up, and my budget can't take too much more of a prce hike. Keep it at $50 or less and I'm happy.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:39 am

Details are great and I'm all for them, but we have to remember the manufacturer is going to produce the model to meet a certain price point that they feel many people (not just us here) are going to pay. To do this, some details just can't be done. I do expect (and I'm willing) to pay much more for an A-10, F-14, F-15, etc. with less detail than what we are paying and getting with the Hellcat, Mustang, etc.. They are bigger aircraft and thus are a higer cost to the manufacturer to make no matter the depth of the detail. I think it's quite possible we will see moveable flight surfaces on all future 1/18 aricraft. However, if they need to be sacrifced to bring the model into the price range the manufacturer feels comfortable with to produce it or to give us something more eye catching (like ordinance), I say do it, I'll be happy just to get the aircraft from them the way it is.......Better to have than not have at all.... :D
Last edited by Birddog on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:00 am

I ask those who have not considered it to seriously look at the size of the A-10 next to other 1-18 aircraft. Its 4x bigger then a P-51 and only the F-18 meets it in size. If its going to be made at a reasonable cost I think that a model with less options is a certainty.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:24 am

Birddog said it perfectly. Yea, extra features are nice but looking at the big picture, the boxes are gonna sit on the shelf if too much is put into them. After making the walmart runs over the past few months I've gotten into some discussions with gentlemen who've been at the store with their sons and it's the fathers who pick them up, critique them and then look in the corner and then determine if that's what they want to spend that much on what, whether we like the term or not, will end up as a "toy" for many (if not most ) of the people who purchase the aircraft.

I'm a pilot and I enjoy every detail. I've picked apart each of the aircraft I've purchased so far but where my station resides within the 1:18 aviation world it's not worth spending more than wallyworld prices for something my son plays with only a few times a week and that I, regardless of how much I try, only have a little time to enjoy myself.

What I'm adding now might sound like a sacrilege but I was one of the lucky ones who found an Avenger here in Tampa. I took it home and at first was beside myself at the detail. But after 45 minutes of trying to put the cockpit windows together it just wasn't "fun" anymore. The rear gun station was a pain in the ass and so I returned it two days later. I purchased the P-47 "Eileen" before leaving the store and both my son and I love it. I picked up the "Smoke II" F-104 and again we love it. The Walmart price was acceptable and "the product" satisfied both of us.

As for future aircraft I would, like so many others, love to see a Phantom. A C/D version would be great but with a plane so big what details would/could we expect? Ideally I'd love to see one on a Walmart shelf but the box will be pretty torn up by the time someone takes it to the register. Sure, I like many others will pick it up and look at it but if too many details are encorporated then it'll cost more than most people (other than collectors) are willing to pay.

But I think the Phantom can be built. Most of us want to see a good, proper nose slope. Put a standard weapons package together with a paint scheme we can appreciate. Get the wing angle correct, detail the cockpit and this time put some decent looking pilots inside and then let the Wallyworld hunt begin! Deciding not to build the airplane because they're expecting too many of us to bitch about something like a missing pitot tube is a shame.

For those of you who build models you know that there are aftermarket dealers who sell a wide array of parts that are used to detail off-the-shelf model aircraft. These include canopies, weapons, engines, decals and a wide assortment of other parts. If the need for more detail is that great then let BBI, 21c or Admiral put together a detail section not unlike the the accessories they sell for their figures. As for me, give me a good looking plane and you can call me a customer. But if it costs to much I'll still enjoy it - for a few minutes at the isle at Walmart.

shadow83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by shadow83 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:18 am

I think the only jets that would be hard to box and would cost more would be the F14 and F15 due to their width in the main body.The A10 could easily be packaged in existing boxes if the wings werent attached.

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:10 am

Really, the only things that I absolutely want to see on a model are landing gear, control surfaces (rudder & wings), and a moving canopy. Some features, while neat, are just superfluous. Like the removable cockpit on the Zero. It sounds cool in theory, but it is just a pain in the neck. I am really looking forward to the Hellcat and I hope all goes well.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:13 pm

DIDNT YOU GUYS HEAR??? THEY ARE MAKING THE A10!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

right after they finsih the 1:18th scale B17 :wink: :twisted: :lol:
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:44 pm

Jolly Roger,

You are so NOT funny.

:?
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

shadow83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by shadow83 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:56 pm

Now thats just darn right cruel. :(

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:07 pm

:evil:
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:42 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:DIDNT YOU GUYS HEAR??? THEY ARE MAKING THE A10!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

right after they finsih the 1:18th scale B17 :wink: :twisted: :lol:
ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s just wrong…….telling people that an a-10 is just around the corner is like telling a starving man that there is free hand burgers, when if fact it was just a cruel joke..Now go to your room and no dinner for you....

LOL
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:13 am

SO NOT FUNNY........... :evil: :x
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:23 am

Whats' an A-10?

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:47 am

tpa05 wrote:Whats' an A-10?
Indeed. :wink:

How about a Harrier from BBi? I'd buy a USMC Harrier. It would fit right in with my Cobra. :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:33 am

flpickupman wrote:
tpa05 wrote:Whats' an A-10?
Indeed. :wink:
:lol: ........ :roll:
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:53 pm

What's a hand burger??

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:57 pm

It's a type of Manwich :lol:
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:02 pm

No, It's when you take the hamburger buns and put your hand in the middle where the meat goes. You know, just like in the cartoons :D

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:12 pm

Right, a Manwich, is a sandwich with a human hand instead of sand. :lol:

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:53 pm

You guys are sick....funny as hell....but sick! :?

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:12 am

just a cool free video to get all of you more excited.

http://www.cinemanow.com/Free/1003,0,5, ... ellcat.htm