BBI: watch this space

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:34 pm

Sounds like a plan, as I live only about 20 workday minutes away (faster on weekends).

Do you have an of indea of about what time on Sunday and what part of the airfield.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

Boeing Bandit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Boeing Bandit » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:51 pm

At the bar/ bistro ( RVAC) next to the tower facing runway 17/35...I'll be there from about 9.00 to 11.30

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:59 pm

Know it well, that's where Phil does his anuals, and we had our company social club party at the club last year.

Hope to be there as long as I can get a leave pass from the Wife.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:58 am

MAN! Just went out to work on the car and when I came back a frickin hellcat was sitting inside the hanger! The cat looks awesome. So when's a "mouth" paintscheme coming out? :lol: . I'll seriously be keeping my eye out for this one, Great stuff Mike
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:24 am

G'day Mike

Permission to attend has been granted, so I will see you on Sunday, I'll be the bloke in the OD BDU's (unless the mercury rises again and I have to break out the shorts and winter white legs).

Hope you don't mind me bringing my camera along to take some pictures of your planes?

Spudkopf (David)

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:55 am

Jericoeagle1 wrote:
VMF115 wrote: We still have next week at the toy fair, maybe we will see the A-10.
How about Mike is there a goos chance that we will see an A-10 next week???
I wouldn't count on it. Just about every manufacturer has nixed the idea, though I think maybe we will see a smaller jet from someone.
Don't give up hope on the A-10 in 1/18. I don't think we'll see one next week, but I'm not giving up hope that we will see one. 21st seems to be the only one that has truely nixed the idea of doing one. It looks like bbi has "hinted" at one from what we saw at the Fall Toy Fair last year and maybe they need more time. Admiral Toys hasn't said they won't do it, but I doubt we will see one from them anytime soon. Time will tell I guess......just keep hope and your resolve alive.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:27 am

Thank you Mike and BBI
Looks like a great Model of the Hellcat.
maybe a Dauntless is in the future?
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:51 am

bbi - Please do a good (even close to accurate will suffice) job on the landing gear. PLEASE! Remember 21st century's TBF AVENGER is your benchmark.

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:32 am

WOOT a hellcat!
My bbi zero is going to be sadly out numbered.
Maybe we can get some differant Japanese fighters like a tony, george, or an oscar so my PTO area has some competition.
Now if badcat can just get the Bunker Hill Avenger my Pacific airwing will be nicely represented, of course there will always be room for a Dauntless if some one decides to produce one.
I fly cartoon airplanes

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:34 am

For the A-10 guys:

Keep your chin up boys I'm sure you will see an A-10 down the road. All you have to have is a little hope and BAM there it is from out of no where. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

For Sgt. Fury:

I'm sure BBI will make a good Hellcat with correct landing gears and all. Just look at their Corsair and Mustang to see how much detail they put into it. They may have missed a beat with the landing gear on their Mustangs but hey they are still great looking birds if I do say so myself. So have no fear Sgt. Fury, because I think that the Hellcat will be magnificent and done right when the final CAT production version is released.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

digger

hellcat

Post by digger » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:37 am

Speaking of Bunker Hill let's hope BCA picks up a BH Hellcat! :D Three planes from the same deck would look very cool.

I would not worry about the gear or the wings -- Mike had mentioned bbi might have been waiting for the Avenger before releasing the Hellcat so I'm sure they had a chance to check out how the mechanics were done.

Next question is have they raised the bar any - I wonder if it has gun bays, engine access or any other little extras. :P

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: hellcat

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 am

digger wrote:Speaking of Bunker Hill let's hope BCA picks up a BH Hellcat! :D Three planes from the same deck would look very cool.

I would not worry about the gear or the wings -- Mike had mentioned bbi might have been waiting for the Avenger before releasing the Hellcat so I'm sure they had a chance to check out how the mechanics were done.

Next question is have they raised the bar any - I wonder if it has gun bays, engine access or any other little extras. :P
Hey digger. As for BBI raising the bar any? Well so far the Hellcat dont seem to have any opening gun bays, engine access or any other little extras so who knows what they might stick into it. It would be nice to have those things for the Hellcat thats for sure but right now I'm just glad to be getting a Hellcat period. So I cant say BBI has raised the bar but they are delievering a Hellcat and for me thats raising the bar enough.

:)

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:45 am

Thanks for the encouragement on the A-10 Mighty. I'm keeping my hopes up there that we'll see one.

I know alot of people want the extras like the opening gun bays and all, but like Mighty said, I'm just thankful we got the Hellcat.... :D It's just the prototype and it looks awesome. I'm sure the finished production model will look even better.

Hopefully someday I can feel as elated when an A-10 shows up in 1/18.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

digger

?

Post by digger » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:52 am

Is it just the prototype? I don't know if anyone said that. With bbi's history I would think it is closer than prototype stage.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:56 am

as we know, the BBI Hellcat has been around for several years. Whether BBI has reworked it or not in that time, i don't know. I'm sure it will be a great model but whether it's a 'bar raiser' will have to be seen.

Regardless, it's a very important WWII plane and i'll be mighty happy to add one or two....as i will i'm sure all the airplane fans on this board.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: ?

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:51 am

digger wrote:Is it just the prototype? I don't know if anyone said that. With bbi's history I would think it is closer than prototype stage.
Digger if its not the prototype and its what BBI is coming out with then I'm still satisfied because they are bringing out a Hellcat plain and simple. But I dont think its the final product of what we will see in my opinion. Again if it is then I will still take it.

:)

digger

well

Post by digger » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:08 am

On an admin note - why don't we switch the name of this thread to Hellcat finds, dicsussion, etc? :P

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:15 am

Mike, please tell us the bad news
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:49 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't BBI usually come out on average with at least 2 aircraft a year? F-18, F-16, or P-51, F4U, Zero? Seems one more is due this year maybe. Prior to the Hellcat announcement what was the last aircraft made? The Zero I think. Seems we are overdue for a jet.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:08 am

digger wrote:Is it just the prototype? I don't know if anyone said that. With bbi's history I would think it is closer than prototype stage.

Mike himself said it was the "prototype":
aferguson wrote:Mike wrote:

"I thank AFerg for his help with this little game and will send him the images of the "prototype" so you will all see what it is as soon as he can get it posted.

So I'm sure you'll have lots of questions about it and the "sting in the tail" on this one is that it comes with good news and bad news...I just got home after a month away in NYC and Hong Kong so I'll look in later and answer any questions that you have on it.

Enjoy and thanks for the fun!

Mike"

Images to follow shortly. :wink:

Either way, it is a superbe looking model and one I'd be proud to own.

:D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

digger

oh,

Post by digger » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:29 am

Indeed he did. :oops: Maybe that means there is still hope for some added details! :P

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:39 am

Digger,

Right you are.
For example, BBI always includes pitot tubes and antennas. And those are missing from the photo.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:56 am

Great looking model Mike!

Many of you have asked if BBI has raised the bar…. In my opinion they have in the manner of raised rivets. If you look at past releases by all companies you will see very few raised rivets on the models. Manufacturers will place some accent raised rivets here and there but to place raised rivets past horizontal or vertical on a model is pretty nice engineering. In other words, to make raised rivets inject and pull out of a mold without distortion of the rivet on the top spine of the aircraft is quite impressive. Work nicely done Mike and BBI.

I am impressed. In the model building business this is new and impressive.

Thanks for making our work a little harder!!

Regards,
Jason
Last edited by Jason of Admiral Toys on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:07 pm

Really Great looking Model!!! what with this the new littlebird and the new fig that we have seen looks like BBI has alot of product coming out!

Mike is the plan to have new items out before Christmas to take advantage of the market?

Will the website be updated with this one?

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:47 pm

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:Great looking model Mike!

Many of you have asked if BBI has raised the bar…. In my opinion they have in the manner of raised rivets. It you look at past releases by all companies you will see very few raised rivets on the models. Manufacturers will place some accent raised rivets here and there but to place raised rivets past horizontal or vertical on a model is pretty nice engineering. In other words, to make raised rivets inject and pull out of a mold without distortion of the rivet on the top spine of the aircraft is quite impressive. Work nicely done Mike and BBI.

I am impressed. In the model building business this is new and impressive.

Thanks for making our work a little harder!!

Regards,
Jason
I'd agree with you on that Jason IF the Hellcat had raised rivets. It, along with just about every US fighter made in WWII had flush rivets. I hope it doesn't make the thing look clunky in the end. I personally prefer the dimple technique employed by bbi on the P-51 and 21st on the Avenger. Sutble, but not over-done. I hope this technique is used in all future releases. It adds a nice bit of detail to the model and really sets the plane off as a model and not just a toy.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]