Quality Ratings For Items

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Quality Ratings For Items

Post by corpbob » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:09 am

IMHO the quality of many of the 1/18 scale items differs greatly. For example, I think the XD Tiger and Hanomag were excellent, but the Sherman only decent. And the P-38 was superb but the P-40 a big disappointment. I know opinions will vary (sometimes within paint-schemes), but let's give it a try on a 1-10 scale with comments alongside:

XD Tiger- 9 -Turret basket wonderful, road wheels could have been better
XD Hanomag- 9- But why were the xtra tracks on the front gold anyways?
XD Kubelwagen- 8 - Good overall
XD Panther - 7 - Lack of good detail painting, tracks just black rubber
XD Sherman - 6 -Cheap plastic-looking finish (1st version), no weathering on tracks, stars painted everywhere, underside of bussel hollow
XD US Halftrack - 9 - Very nice
XD Jeep - 9 - Again very nice
XD Command Car - 8 - But where is the 1/18 Patton to go in it?

XD Stuka - 9 -Very nice, only flaw is the bottom seam down the center line
XD P-47 - 8 - Yes the cockpit is oversized, but it's well done overall
XD P-38 - 9.5 - A piece of art, wheels down or up
XD P-40 - 5 - A huge disappointment, lack of detail throughout, landing gear looks cheap and doesn't lock, hang this one close to the ceiling
XD Spitfire - 8 - Very good overall

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:22 am

I agree with your ratings overall, however, here is where I would differ. A few other planes and vehicles have been added as well!

What would constitute a "10" in your opinion?

XD M-41 - 9 - though oddly placed, its detail is second only to the Tiger!
XD M-48 - 7 - its got great detail for an early 21c tank, but no interior
XD M-2 Bradley - 8 - One of the best modern tanks out there!
XD M-113 - 8 - This one is almost a 9, but the baggage & figures stink!
XD Panzer IV - 7 - Looks great on the outside, but QC issues and no interior on a new 21c tank hurt it!

XD Corsair - 9 - the only WWII Navy plane, and they got the folding wings and tailhook. All it needs is its Zero counterpart!
XD ME-109E - 9 - there are inaccuracies, but its a great plane overall, 4 years afterwards!
XD P-51D - 3 - If the P-40 was bad, then this is far worse! I know its the first attempt, but c'mon!
XD FW-190D9 - 8 - A beautiful plane, but could have had a better cockpit!
XD ME-109G - 9 - Nearly a 10. This is a wonderfully detailed aircraft!
XD UH-1C - 8 - A great first attempt at a 1:18 helicopter, 3 years on it still looks great.
XD AH-1W - 9 - The best 1:18 scale helicopter, period!

As far as BBI aircraft, I'll rate only those I've seen out of the box:
BBI P-51D - 10 - its simply the best 1:18 aircraft!
BBI F-16 - 9 - Awesome plane, had they included moving control surfaces, it would be perfect!
BBI F-18 - 8 - big, beautiful, but weak plastic
BBI AH-6 - 9 - A great little helocopter for detail and value!
BBI Blackhawk - 8 - There are inaccuracies, but its an awesome helicopter overall.

There's my rating!

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ratings

Post by corpbob » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:10 am

I can't believe I left out my:
XD Corsair - 9.5 - Folding wings are delicate but great for display, a truly beautiful plane
XD - Bradley - 7 - Weak on exterior paint detail, but better than BBI's armor (so far)
XD- Patton - 7.5 - The tank is well done but could have been better

A "10" has to be near perfection at a good price. The only one that qualifies from what I've seen (only in pictures unfortunately due to our crappy TRU) is the BBI Mustang. I didn't rank anything I haven't personally seen (and handled) out of the box

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:43 pm

I just want to add that you guys should give the P-51D a break. It was the first of it's kind. An attempt by the company to make a 1:18 scale P-51. Things have progressed a long ways since then... but is it fair to rate it so low?

Look back at the original Star Wars figures. Compare them to the sculpts of today's figures.... and you'd wonder who the heck the 1970s and 1980s figures were sculpted after as they look horrible! Lack of detail, lack of articulation, lack of weapons, lack of accuracy. But... back then, those figures were probably the ooo and awwww of the time. People may have seen something of mark hamill in the Luke... even though it looks like a yellow haired no one.

Same could be said for the P-51D. It was the first attempt. First try. HOw could they ahve made it better when they were setting the standard for 1:18 aircraft? You have to start the bar somewhere.

As such, I give the P-51D a 9/10 - Minus one for maybe not being up to the progress things have come today... but a 9 for leading the way to what we have now.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

I agree w/p-51's comments on P-51

Post by parrish333 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:29 pm

We've been so blessed in this age of 1:18 heaven that we forget the dark ages of past, when GI Joe and Star Wars were your only hope (with the occasional odd-ball short lived brand here and there).

Now we have the luxury to pick apart the most tiny little shortcomings - granted, constructive criticism can help push the manufacturers further and further - but just keep healthy doses of perspective. Not picking on anyone in particular, as I get overly picky myself with my favorite hobby all too often!!!

I can still remember seeing that first release of XD sitting on the shelves as I left for a 3 week trip to Europe so many years ago.....as many improvements as were yet to come, I still eagerly awaited the chance to snatch them up when I returned to the States....and they were such a welcome addition when I finally did get them.

They jump-started a whole new age of realistic 1:18 military choices (even GI Joe's recent Humvee is clearly a result of the trend XD kicked off with a simple P-51, Sherman and goofy-articulated squad of infantry).

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:46 pm

I to agree with P51 21st started it up look how far they came 109E to 109G its like night and day Ive only had 1 some what bad that was the P47 Bubble top
Kurt

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:52 am

I just had to respond to this post. I cant rate to many of the 1/18th 21st Century aircraft because I havent bought many and I'll admit that but heres my rating from seeing some in the box.

Spitfire-10
P-47 Razorback "Jabo"-9
ME-109-9
British Corsair-10
Pappys Corsair-10
P-47 Bubbletop-1 (Both Versions)
P-51D's-1 (all versions!)

Out of box that I own:

Kepford Corsair re-release-10
BBI P-51D-10+++++++++++

This is only a partial list mind you because my mind is not very good on being I was up all night for New Years. 21st has been hit and miss like some model companies are. Someone made a valid point that the 21st P-51D dont get much respect because it was one of 21st Centurys first 1/18th aircraft and we should be a little more forgiving. In a sence I guess we should but what gets me is that 21st could have gotton the P-51 right but they kept putting out re-paints without ever updating it. It got put on the back burner while the Corsair and others got top treatment. How many people complained about the inaccuracies of the landing gear, raised rivets, fat nose, lack of chin scoop ect? And those are just some of the problems! I cant count how many times I emailed 21st about this with NO replies. It took BBI a company who never made a WW 2 fighter to come out with a P-51 that was done right! Ya it missed some things but those were correctable. Now word is is that 21st is in the process of re-tooling their P-51. If its true why has it taken so long for them to do so? And will it be just another dissapointment like their recent releases? They have ALOT of work to do if they want to match the BBI Mustang, A LOT OF WORK. It will take more then a fancy paint scheme by Roy Sutherland to have me buy it I'll tell you that. But we shall see if and when it ever gets released. But after seeing their Bubbletop P-47's I wont hold my breath.

Ok enough babbling on my part, back to the coffey and cigs!

8)

digger

Ratings

Post by digger » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:00 pm

I think if there is a 10 it is the M3A3. I think that it is so well done and was sold at such a great price, it has to get the "highest" rating.
I don't have the new P-47 but is it really a 1?

But Mustang, if it were just bbi many people would only have A P-51 hanging from their ceiling and I would have A Sherman Tank on my shelf....but that would be it :roll: . We should keep in mind that bbi spent who knows how long planning and developing their one plane, and their one tank (both which had been done before). I have a huge collection of figures, halftracks, tanks, playsets...and only one piece is from bbi.
I do want more though....their WWII figures looked unbelievable... :D

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:10 pm

I think the “1” rating for the P-47 is a bit harsh but I will admit it has some short comings, mainly the Wal Mart destruction factor. :evil: The Razor back had some problems but overall it’s a gorgeous aircraft. I have yet to see the new bubble top in person yet so I will have to wait and see for myself. I think that the detail on all these items is steadily getting better and better. It is a great time to be a collector. I will certainly be broke in 05. :D :D :D

Rocky_Road
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rocky_Road » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:33 pm

Hi guys,

I am an avid reader of this forum, and rarely have anything of value to add...but I want to say something about this subject.

If indeed manufacturers monitor this site, as suggested by some of us, then they have to sometimes feel like the schoolboy that came home one day with his latest report card. He was so proud of his 8 "A"s, and 1 "B". His dad stared at the card, threw it across the table, and barked..."what's it with this "B""? The kid picked up his report card, and headed for his room, slump shouldered....

Maybe we are just a little too jaded? After all, 99% of the buyers of these models have no clue as to the slight inaccuracies noticed here (and I am in that 99% group, having never bought a model that I didn't love...right out of the box), and the last thing we should want is to discourage the introduction of more, and more, releases. We can reward the makers of these marvelous 'toys', and encourage the improvements we want, by buying the ones we appreciate the most in realtime, and (heaven forbid) at retail, instead of waiting until they end up tossed in the discount bin.

Oh well...just my thoughts. If you want to ban me from ever posting again...so be it. But please let me continue to enjoy, and get educated, about this hobby with access to reading your knowledgable posts.

Take care, and keep your head down in '05,
John

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:18 pm

I agree there have definitely been some inconsistencies in the XD models produced but I appreciate that they were made at all. I, like you guys appreciate quality and attention to details (Moving control surfaces, accurate landing gear, etc). It appears that the quality is getting better as a rule with a few exceptions lately-but for the most part the newer items are nicer and more detailed. I must admit I was pretty impressed with the P-38 and Corsair (original) when they came out-and still think these planes were done very well. The Spitfire is another beautifully done plane. Of course with Bbi entering the fray we may see even nicer models like the P-51, & F-16. I think that the competition could help our hobby as long as we keep supporting both companies. I imagine that 21st Century hears about the complaints from this forum and perhaps they even take action on some things or perhaps not. In any case I would like to thank both companies for making these affordable models and I hope they continue for a while. I will be watching the shelves this year-Please somebody make an A-10!!!!
Todd

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:30 pm

Well John I doubt that you will get banned for your comments. :roll: I happen to agree with you on the accuracy point. I am not that well informed on the various differences between specific aircraft and missing details. I can however tell if a plane looks like a scale replica or a toy. I believe that all the planes and armor of late have become less and less toy like and more and more accurate. There will always be those who want a 100% accurate replica. To those I would say that customizing is your best bet. All of the airplanes have flaws and are missing detail. I personally was disappointed to find out that the new Panzer had no engine or interior detail but this will not stop me from acquiring one.
In general it is probably not the best thing to take someone’s personal opinion on an item as fact because we all have different standards. Something that might really bother one person might not be a big deal to another. Just my 2cents worth.
:D

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:41 am

I too disagree that the bubbletop rates a 1...I picked mine up at a WM in OK 2 months ago and it is outstanding. Now that they are everywhere, I still see great examples in my AO (along with a few bad ones) and this aircraft is in my top 5 favorites. I would rate the Eagleston bubbletop as an easy 8. Haven't seen an Eileen yet so don't know on that one. QC is definitely an issue as of late, hopefully rectified before the much anticipated Avenger. As far as repaints go I wish they'd release the desert Stuka we saw pics of a few years back!! :wink: