The little or no interest in a 1/18 A-10 Thread

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

Would you buy a 1:18 A-10 if it came on the market? If not, Why?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:38 am

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 36

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:20 pm

wrong... I offered the CEO 500.00 on the spot the first time I met with him! We were talking about scale and size of various airplanes in 1:18 yada, yada,. Anyway he stops some guy in the hall and says hey bring out the Hog so we can give Zach a lesson in scale! I nearly died! I was going to see the mighty A-10 and I couldn't belive it.

They (21st) was kind enough to dig it out and assemble it. 20 minutes later a guy called us into the staging area. I walked in to find the Hog on its gear all built with a full assortment of weapons! ... This thing is SCARY huge! You just really have no idea untill you see it. It is tall, long and very very wide. The mass of the airplane was not what I would have imagined.

21st made it point clear. This is a problem project due to size, cost, and the required MSRP is all more than pocket change. After seeing it all I can say is this plane is easily a $120.00+ airplane in 1:18 scale the plastic used just for the weapons is enough to cast a 1:18 scale bf-109!

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:25 pm

tko211 wrote:wrong... I offered the CEO 500.00 on the spot the first time I met with him! We were talking about scale and size of various airplanes in 1:18 yada, yada,. Anyway he stops some guy in the hall and says hey bring out the Hog so we can give Zach a lesson in scale! I nearly died! I was going to see the mighty A-10 and I couldn't belive it.

They (21st) was kind enough to dig it out and assemble it. 20 minutes later a guy called us into the staging area. I walked in to find the Hog on its gear all built with a full assortment of weapons! ... This thing is SCARY huge! You just really have no idea untill you see it. It is tall, long and very very wide. The mass of the airplane was not what I would have imagined.

21st made it point clear. This is a problem project due to size, cost, and the required MSRP is all more than pocket change. After seeing it all I can say is this plane is easily a $120.00+ airplane in 1:18 scale the plastic used just for the weapons is enough to cast a 1:18 scale bf-109!

ok ill raise that to $100 to 21st Century. OR, Ill just trade over an AVENGER!! HA!

btw i dont expect a WH from them anway, if there ever is one it will be either from some tiny new company in kits limited to like 20, or just BBI. after all, bbi packed the f-18s in 4 foot tall boxes..

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:08 am

tko211 wrote:wrong... I offered the CEO 500.00 on the spot the first time I met with him!
catman wrote:ok ill raise that to $100 to 21st Century. OR, Ill just trade over an AVENGER!! HA!
Guys, guys, guys,........come on now. I would start my offer out at $1500. The A-10 is definitely worth that much or more to me.... :wink: :D

Oh, and a $120 price tag would be a steal in my opinion for an A-10, especially if it had a full ordinance load as described. Not much more in price than the F-18 or F-16 and it's a bit more plane with more weapons.

Go Ugly Early in 1/18 scale!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:31 am

$1500.00?
WOW! :wink:
Phabulous Phantoms Phorever rule the sky
and Starfighters Rule the Stars

http://WWW.Panda-Hobby.COM

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:41 am

KAGNEW wrote:$1500.00?
I say that because it is a one of a kind. You don't see any other 1/18 A-10s around and who knows if one will be done. Plus it's my favorite plane..... :D

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:46 am

I would pay up to 150 for one!!!!!!!
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:37 am

Birddog wrote:
KAGNEW wrote:$1500.00?
I say that because it is a one of a kind. You don't see any other 1/18 A-10s around and who knows if one will be done. Plus it's my favorite plane..... :D
I see your 1500.00 and raise you 250!

When you think of it TKO $120 is a good deal I bought one of the 1/9 Scale Abrams for more then that and it turned out to be a piece of Junk. At least with the A-10 its not going to have mechanical problems. I wonder how many of those Abrams are sitting in a recycling warehouse somewhere.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:55 am

Jericoeagle1 wrote:
Birddog wrote: I say that because it is a one of a kind. You don't see any other 1/18 A-10s around and who knows if one will be done. Plus it's my favorite plane..... :D
I see your 1500.00 and raise you 250!
:lol:.......you'll need to go alot higher than that.... :wink: :D

I definitely have to agree with you on the Abrams Jericoe. Weird decision to do something as big as that over doing an A-10 (that falls in line with an existing scale and market) that wouldn't have all the defects. :? But hey, we've all discussed that one before. Oh well, back to waiting and wishing.......

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:18 am

tko211,
Sounds like they are in the marketing phase of the A-10 product. also did the CEO say if any molds where being built yet?

Here is my guess if they make it we wont see it till late next year, X-mass of 2007 is my prediction.

Also they already spent an untold amount time and money on R&D.
I think they will make it, but they want every thing to be perfect, marketable and profitable at the same time.

If they did make it and are keeping it a closely guarded secret for a winter release it might be the biggest 1:18 secret kept, Lets pray and cross or fingers that with the next 14 months we get one.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:29 am

VMF115 wrote:tko211,
Sounds like they are in the marketing phase of the A-10 product. also did the CEO say if any molds where being built yet?

Here is my guess if they make it we wont see it till late next year, X-mass of 2007 is my prediction.

I think they will make it, but they want every thing to be perfect, marketable and profitable at the same time.

If they did make it and are keeping it a closely guarded secret for a winter release it might be the biggest 1:18 secret kept, Lets pray and cross or fingers that with the next 14 months we get one.
VMF,

Don't know if you know this or not buddy, but the 1/18 A-10 prototype that 21st Century has is about 4 years old now (if memory serves me right). I believe there is a picture of it on one of the member's webpage. Jericoe used to have it as his Avatar and I have it just not in a postable format. Who knows when or if it will ever be done by them.

Keep your fingers crossed though, you never know......they may do it or somebody else may come through for us.....

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:58 am

Birddog wrote:
VMF115 wrote:tko211,

VMF,

Don't know if you know this or not buddy, but the 1/18 A-10 prototype that 21st Century has is about 4 years old now (if memory serves me right). I believe there is a picture of it on one of the member's webpage. Jericoe used to have it as his Avatar and I have it just not in a postable format. Who knows when or if it will ever be done by them.

Keep your fingers crossed though, you never know......they may do it or somebody else may come through for us.....

Four Years and a 1/18 A-10 prototype and no final production A-10 yet, WOW!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:14 pm

You know with size and cost being the big argument for or against large jets A-10, F-4, F-14, etc. I don't understand why the big three don't produce them in 1/32 scale? Or 1/24th (my choice) scale. 21st Century seems willing to try different scales. Surely a reduction in scale would bring the price down. Models of the A-10 in 1/32 have sold for between 70 dollars and 130.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:38 pm

Jericoeagle1 wrote:You know with size and cost being the big argument for or against large jets A-10, F-4, F-14, etc. I don't understand why the big three don't produce them in 1/32 scale? Or 1/24th (my choice) scale. 21st Century seems willing to try different scales. Surely a reduction in scale would bring the price down. Models of the A-10 in 1/32 have sold for between 70 dollars and 130.
It must be in 1:18 scale

They can keep putting it off but sooner or latter some one will brake the Large 1:18 scale aircraft gap.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:45 pm

Why don’t we each just send $120 check to 21st and tell them it for the A-10 it worked for the Dodge Viper back in the early 90’s

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:59 pm

Jericoeagle1 wrote:You know with size and cost being the big argument for or against large jets A-10, F-4, F-14, etc. I don't understand why the big three don't produce them in 1/32 scale? Or 1/24th (my choice) scale. 21st Century seems willing to try different scales. Surely a reduction in scale would bring the price down. Models of the A-10 in 1/32 have sold for between 70 dollars and 130.
Jericoe old buddy, I have to agree with VMF, it has to be in 1/18 scale. It just wouldn't be right for the A-10, F-4, or F-14 to not be done in 1/18 scale. Especially after we've seen the F-18 and F-16. Just hard for me to believe that the A-10 (maybe with a little less weaponry) or even the F-4 couldn't be done to a similar price point with the same attention to detail.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Birddog wrote:
Jericoe old buddy, I have to agree with VMF, it has to be in 1/18 scale. It just wouldn't be right for the A-10, F-4, or F-14 to not be done in 1/18 scale. Especially after we've seen the F-18 and F-16. Just hard for me to believe that the A-10 (maybe with a little less weaponry) or even the F-4 couldn't be done to a similar price point with the same attention to detail.

Actually we need all the weaponry :D

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:04 pm

I thing if we ever seen any of these F-4, F-14, F-15 F-18 E, F-111 F-117, A-6, Mig-29, SU –27 we will be looking at a price tag of at least 150-200 price range. If it s a high quality product I have no problem paying that price.

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:19 pm

VMF115 wrote:I thing if we ever seen any of these F-4, F-14, F-15 F-18 E, F-111 F-117, A-6, Mig-29, SU –27 we will be looking at a price tag of at least 150-200 price range. If it s a high quality product I have no problem paying that price.
well if a regular-released plane costs 160$, which the A-10 will around, then its not gonna be at your local WM shelves. it will have to be through special order, maybe even through 21st themselves, and at this point, it seems they cant render that.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:28 pm

catman wrote:
VMF115 wrote:I thing if we ever seen any of these F-4, F-14, F-15 F-18 E, F-111 F-117, A-6, Mig-29, SU –27 we will be looking at a price tag of at least 150-200 price range. If it s a high quality product I have no problem paying that price.
well if a regular-released plane costs 160$, which the A-10 will around, then its not gonna be at your local WM shelves. it will have to be through special order, maybe even through 21st themselves, and at this point, it seems they cant render that.
I dont think there will be a problem if online retailers sold them at the price. I know for fact I have infected the 1:18 scale bug in many ex airforce friends that I have, heck my father just bought two AT f-86’s and is now looking at buying the Avenger.

The ex military crowed is a strong market, however they my be a bit more picky when it comes to detail.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:54 pm

VMF115 wrote: Actually we need all the weaponry :D
That would be nice, but only if it means the manufacturer is willing to make the aircraft. I'm for all the ordinance, but if the manufacturer has to offer less ordinance on a 1/18 A-10 or a 1/18 F-14 to actually do it, then I say drop a few bombs and get'er done. I think we have to compromise some things, not all, on the larger aircraft if we ever want to see them done in 1/18 scale.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:56 pm

Perhaps it is feasable to make the Aircraft Clean and then offer 1/18 Ordinance packs. That way you can buy the ordinance you want for any 1/18 Jet separately.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:16 pm

It was really funny when I saw how huge the A-10 was the CEO was like "see the problem?" look how big it is... I replied, and I really still chuckle when I think that I said it to the CEO... I said "hell yeah! that's what I'm talking about!" Some guys build a whole garage for a harley or to restore a car. I will build one to store plastic airplane toys!!!! :lol:

Really though in all reality the real problem isn't getting us to buy it as much as it is to get someone like WM to say "sure what the heck lots of people will spend 150.00+ dollars on a toy that doesn't fly, makes sounds, or isn't remote controlled. "heck, lets put them as impulse items at the front of the cash registers because lots of people impulse buy at the 150.00 price point.

Now we fans on the other hand say "YES do exactly that! that way it's that much closer to the fronf of the store! close to the carts bacause you will for sure need one for this thing. It;s close to the ATM / bank at the front. Gotta take it out of savings, no more room on the credit card and wife will kill me is she sees I bought a 150 dollar toy.
I think it's a great plan personally!

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:33 pm

tko211 wrote:It was really funny when I saw how huge the A-10 was the CEO was like "see the problem?" look how big it is... I replied, and I really still chuckle when I think that I said it to the CEO... I said "hell yeah! that's what I'm talking about!" !
Well I guess that is what my friends here are saying. If I could get a 1/6th scale A-10 I'd get one. Its the size and the power it projects that makes it so cool Here I think packaging and display would help sell it more then anything. Plus maybe putting it under a special catagory like the "Big Boys" line was supposed to be.

Oh by the way, I'm one of those who have a dedicated place for my collection. The overflow goes to an empty shed where they wait until I have room for them inside, or I buy a new place.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 pm

Birddog wrote:
VMF115 wrote: Actually we need all the weaponry :D
That would be nice, but only if it means the manufacturer is willing to make the aircraft. I'm for all the ordinance, but if the manufacturer has to offer less ordinance on a 1/18 A-10 or a 1/18 F-14 to actually do it, then I say drop a few bombs and get'er done. I think we have to compromise some things, not all, on the larger aircraft if we ever want to see them done in 1/18 scale.

I agree with the weapons pack, but only if they release it at the same time, right now my F-18s sit with out the extra ordinance that made the F/A-18 so versatile. An ordnance package with ground crew would be a nice packaged deal.