The best 1:18 Mustang

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

The best 1:18 Mustang

Post by tpa05 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:57 pm

I just read the post asking for suggestions/recommendations regarding 1:18 Corsairs. I'm currently shopping (as of this afternoon) for a 1:18 BBI/XD P-51 Mustang. I'm scratchin' my head here as this will be my first purchase of a 1:18 aircraft. I've purchased both XD and BBI figures (a bunch of them) and a XD M113 APC that I found for a good price but again know nothing about their aircraft. I've seen both the XD and BBI versions and they look pretty good. I did read how some of the aircraft have "cloudy" canopies and that is a real concern.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Well, this is a hottly debated issue! I'm not really going to answer your question exactly but I'll give you a few pointers regarding each of the planes. I have them both and like both. First of all, both the XD and BBI P-51s are excellent! Compare these to the S1 XD P-51 from a few years ago and you'll see what I mean.

The BBI P-51 has the best cockpit detailing and weathering. Further, BBI has included nearly every little piece of stenciling that was on a P-51, both inside and out. The BBI P-51 pilot is also an excellent figure - on par with the new WWII figures from BBI. The moving control surfaces include the rudder, elevators, and flaps. The aircraft, however, does not have the forward rake on the main landing gear, the tail wheel comes out in the wrong direction, and the aircraft has far too much riveting. The drop tanks do not attach in the right place under the wing, although they are very well detailed.

The 21c P-51, IMHO, captures the "fast" look of the Mustang. It has the correct dihedral on the wings, the forward rake on the landing gear, and the correct tail wheel. Its canopy does not have the "cloudy" look to it. The spinner and nose are perfectly rendered, as are the tail and control surfaces. The aircraft also has the more smooth texture of a P-51 and is not heavily riveted. All the control surfaces move. There is no weathering and the stenciling is not as extensive as on the BBI plane. The cockpit on the 21c P-51 is not as detailed and the pilot figure stinks when compared to the BBI figure. Then there are the bent props... The 21c P-51 also struck me as being a little more fragile than the BBI plane.

Overall, should I not have confused you, both planes are good renditionings of the Mustang, and both have their good and bad points. I'll leave it up to you to decide which you like best :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:42 pm

Thanks Tman. Yea, I expected this to create a pretty good debate. One point of interest is how fragile each might be. Here in Tampa, I've been able to compare the XD Corsair and Stuka (Walmart) against the Corsair (TRU) and you're right, the pilot figure for the BBI model is much better. As for the BBI Mustang, there are several out there. Is there one in particular (Killer/Old Crow) that you recommend? The XD P-51 that I'm partial to is the "Ridge Runner" model. With this, I'm not sure if there is a difference between the different XD versions other than the paint scheme. Again, is the BBI model that much stronger (less fragile)?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:39 pm

The BBI version always felt a little sturdier to me when compared to the 21c version, but both are strong and hold together well. I own the BBI P-51 "Killer" as this was the first to come out. If I suddenly came on the market and decided to get one BBI P-51 from the four paintschemes avaliable, I'd probably get the "Old Crow" version, as afterall, its Bud Anderson's plane 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:15 am

tpa I am kind of the in the same predicament as you....only difference is that I did buy a P-51 eventually some months back...the BBI killer one.

I only have 4 1/18 planes...marinflieger F-104, Cobra, BI P-51, and black jolly roger F/A-18C.

The BBI products definitely do feel a bit more durable than the XD stuff. Part of the reason is that BBI uses soft plastic on areas that might be prone to breakage had they been made out of hard, thin plastic. The number of soft parts on BBI outnumbers the XD stuff..but its a compromise that works in my favor. I love accuracy but durability is equally important. So if theres a fine balance I'm game. 21st primarily uses hard plastic on almost everything. Watch out for the thin parts like the slats and all because those are most prone to breakage.

The figures are different as well as you have noted. BBI's figures tend to have less problems with stuck joints, least in my experience. They also have the superior sculpts....in regards to the pilots. Compare the F-104 pilot to the BBI F/A-18C's or F-16C's pilots...big difference.

What i like about the mustang killer was the weathering, the attention to detail, and the durability. This is not no model kit, this will SURVIVE in your hands! And look great and a lot better than the average kids gijoe plane. By far. The flaps, and rudder lock into position. The pilot figure is very detailed, and overall its very fun to play with and fun to stare at. I don't think you can really go wrong in buying a BBi Mustang...however your having a dilemma in which one to choose..which I myself was in as well....

But my solution was this.

Buy the BBI Mustang to tide you over, and then wait for the XD Mustang with gun lockers.

I knew the current XD Mustangs were put out to tide us over till the "definitive" gun locker version was released. The gun locker Mustang could be the best Mustang ever released in 1/18 scale.

And besides....by the time you are done you'll have a great BBI Mustang...and a gunlocker XD Mustang, both in different color schemes from each other.

Its really a win win situation. Just a matter of patience. I was tempted to get a XD Mustang currently out, but the notion of the definitive gunlocker stang coming out in a few months was a better deal...besides...if I bought an XD Mustang now and a gunlocker stang later..I'd have no use for the regular XD Stang. At least with the BBI version its buy a different company and has its own distinct qualities to appreciate and set it apart.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:09 am

tpa05,

tman's post was right on the money and he gave the good and bad points on both 51's. I at one time was a staunch supporter of the BBI P-51 and I had once said that 21st were just ripping them off and all that crap. Well once I got my 21st P-51 "Petie The 2nd" I saw how wrong I was. I wont go into the good and bad points of both the BBI P-51 and the 21st P-51 because tman covered them well but I will say this and thats that if you want an accurate representation of a P-51 then you have to look no further then the new tool Mustang from 21st. And thats not a knock on the BBI P-51. If I were you I'd buy "Ridge Runner" because its an awsome paint scheme and it will tide you over until the 21st P-51's with the opening wing lockers are released.

But it all boiles down to is that its your money and you buy whatever one you like. Basically both are good representations of P-51's (with 21st the best) so you cant go wrong.

Thats my take.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:55 am

Thanks Mustang for your help. I'm a little confused however. Tman (as I'm reading it) seems partial to the bbi versions. You state that his comment(s) are right on the money but then suggest that the 21c versions are a lot better. As for what version of the 21c model to get, you suggested that the Ridge Runner was perhaps the best. Of all the models I've seen on the web, it was the one that I too thought looked the best. My concern (among many) is that what you see on a computer screen ain't what ya get sometimes.

I was at first partial to detail until I considered that my 5 year old will in all likelyhood send it into the trees/wall/fence/pool/car (or all of the above). He's pretty good about being careful and I'm surprised that the PTE "little bird" has lasted as long as it has and would like to make the 'stang last as long as possible. My plan is to only let him handle it when I'm around and then park it on the highest shelf when done. It sounds as if the two choices (so far) might be the "killer" by bbi vs the "ridge runner" from 21c. But it's only 11:00 am est here. I'm sure someone will talk me into another model before dinner...

One more note. I saw the "old crow" at the local tru. Man it looks good but as far as Mustangs (and P-47s/P-38s etc) are concerned, I think silver is the way to go.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:36 am

tpa05 wrote:Thanks Mustang for your help. I'm a little confused however. Tman (as I'm reading it) seems partial to the bbi versions. You state that his comment(s) are right on the money but then suggest that the 21c versions are a lot better. As for what version of the 21c model to get, you suggested that the Ridge Runner was perhaps the best. Of all the models I've seen on the web, it was the one that I too thought looked the best. My concern (among many) is that what you see on a computer screen ain't what ya get sometimes.

I was at first partial to detail until I considered that my 5 year old will in all likelyhood send it into the trees/wall/fence/pool/car (or all of the above). He's pretty good about being careful and I'm surprised that the PTE "little bird" has lasted as long as it has and would like to make the 'stang last as long as possible. My plan is to only let him handle it when I'm around and then park it on the highest shelf when done. It sounds as if the two choices (so far) might be the "killer" by bbi vs the "ridge runner" from 21c. But it's only 11:00 am est here. I'm sure someone will talk me into another model before dinner...

One more note. I saw the "old crow" at the local tru. Man it looks good but as far as Mustangs (and P-47s/P-38s etc) are concerned, I think silver is the way to go.
I still think you should get the killer BBI mustang for now and then wait for the XD gunlocker mustang to come out to buy an XD stang. Once you get both, you'll be able to appreciate the differences and they can stand alone as they are. Besides...the gunlocker stang has something niether any of the XD or BBI stangs have...functional gun lockers. If you get the BBI stang you have something to tide you over that you know will look and feel different. If you get an XD stang now...once the gunlocker comes out....well the only difference will be in paint and gun lockers.

BBI will survive in your child's hands more but I've gotta be honest, as a child that grew up playing with many airplanes and now being a 22 year old man, the youngest person I would ever give a BBI or XD plane to would be 10 years old. Very durable but you never know. Then again since you will be around him when your son plays I don';t think this will be a problem at all. :D

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:58 am

My favorite is the 21st flying Undertaker... that is until the Big Beautiful Doll with the gun bays hit the shelves! I am pretty sure the props on the new mustangs will be fixed from here forward. (although for some reason my P-51's blades aren't that bad).

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:02 am

Cool, it's looking like bbi might be a better choice. One question though, the 21c "Flying Undertaker" seems relatively new. Is this just the same aircraft with a new/different paintjob? As for the aircraft with the gunlockers, is there a (guestimated) date for arrival?

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:06 am

More is better... get both!

:D
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:30 am

The 21st Century stang is too, well toy like. Not much detail as on the real bird. Just got back from the thunder over Michigan air show and got up close and personal with quite a few Mustangs. The 21st Century is very smooth much like the Mustangs that are curently in the air, but in 1944, they were not painted metal flake silver by the Jack Roush team, or had all the ugly rivets filled in and smooth. 21st Also lacks the weathering. I display mine in the flying position so the nasty "BBI no rake landing gear" is not an issue.

Best 1/18 P-51, hands down, IMO is the BBI Hurry Home Honey... Old Crow is nice but BBI only printed the Old Crow on the port side...(Bud's bird had Old Crow on both port and starboard)

Neither is without faults, but I was able to fix up and coustom detail the BBI mustang with much better results than the 21st century.

[/img]

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:40 am

Not to mention that the flaps and rudder and stabilizers able to fold and snap into position and lock is something to fall in love with. bear in mind boys my frist 1/18 bird was the hornet, and the BBI killer stang was my 2nd...so you can imagine the world of difference it was between the 2 once I put together the stang. To be honest, if the BBI one had gunlockers I wouldn't buy the XD version.

But in the end i'll have my killer stang and the gunlocker XD. So I will be happy. Just wish a gunlocker stang would hit us before Xmas.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:15 pm

Well, part of me thinks I need to apologize. While I asked, and was sincere in my request for information concerning what I thought would be a purchase of a P-51 Mustang, my choice has since migrated over to what is now (since about 3:00 this afternoon) become a "bunker hill" corsair. Let me explain. I had the afternoon off and so thought I'd make a run-around to the local walmarts. There were indeed sales but only at 2 of the stores and only for the 1-2 luftwaffe fighters. Anyway, at the third store there were again the ME-109s, and Stuka and 2 corsairs - all for the regular price of $39.99. I approached a manager and explained that another store had the same type aircraft for $30 but only in a limited type (the kraut stuff). Anyway, with a little prodding, she allowed me to buy the Corsair at the $30 as well. I grabbed the box and ran.

I'm still on the lookout for a Mustang and so any information is appreciated.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:28 pm

tpa05,

Good choice on buying the Bunker Hill F4U. It has a very acurate paint scheme and is a favorite of mine next to BBI's Corsair Marines Dream.

Good Choice.

:wink:

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Yoxford wrote:The 21st Century stang is too, well toy like. Not much detail as on the real bird. Just got back from the thunder over Michigan air show and got up close and personal with quite a few Mustangs. The 21st Century is very smooth much like the Mustangs that are curently in the air, but in 1944, they were not painted metal flake silver by the Jack Roush team, or had all the ugly rivets filled in and smooth. 21st Also lacks the weathering. I display mine in the flying position so the nasty "BBI no rake landing gear" is not an issue.

Best 1/18 P-51, hands down, IMO is the BBI Hurry Home Honey... Old Crow is nice but BBI only printed the Old Crow on the port side...(Bud's bird had Old Crow on both port and starboard)

Neither is without faults, but I was able to fix up and coustom detail the BBI mustang with much better results than the 21st century.

[/img]
Hey Yoxford question for ya or maybe a few........

You have any pics of your custom BBI Mustang? If you do I would be interested in seeing them. Second you said that in 1944 Mustangs were not paint metal flake? Ah I have a few pics of "Petie The 2nd" from the 352nd Fighter Group and she was all metal plus I have an up close photo of her and you cant see hardly any rivets. I also have photos of several other WW 2 photos of Mustangs that are in color that are all silver and the rivets are not noticeable in those photos either.

Also. Yes BBI has more weathering detail added to their Mustangs but anyone can weather their new tool Mustangs with little or no problem at all. I should know because I have done it already with my P-51 "Petie The 2nd" and only if I had a digital camera I would post pics on here of it.

I guess the bottom line is you cant go wrong with either version but in my humble opinion 21st's new Mustang is now the best of the bunch, even without the weathering or the rivets. And when the open wing locker version is finally released is will surpass anything on the market as far as the mighty Mustang is concerned.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:45 pm

I have both, well I HAD both... (I bought a BBI bird when it came out for "evaluation" purposes)

I gotta say one thing that drives me crazy is having no dihedral on the wings. This is one Major reason why I perfer the 21st mustangs. Also as stated the landing gear are better on the 21c both the main gear and the tail dragger.

I have also been up close on top of and into the cockpits of several P-51D's (these weren't modified air racers mind you) I have found the wings to be streamlined and generally absent of any rivets (minus the gun doors).

At first glance the rivets on the BBI bird seemed cool but the more I looked at the real thing the more I disliked this effect.

I know many will think "I have to support 21st)
But If I felt differently I would be PC and choose to not talk about it. The fact is as a fan I perfer the 21c stang over the BBI version.

Clearly you can see that the camp is divided on this topic. I personally recommend that you buy one of each and decide for yourself. (I challenged Mighty Mustang to do the same thing as I am recommending now and look how he changed his opinion) You will only be out 40 bucks on one lesser P-51, I am sure that 40 bucks won't bankrupt anyone. If so than you should not be buying these things at all. :lol:

For the record I no longer own my BBI Mustang. I truely fell into the 21c camp on this airplane.

Good luck, and plese let us all know what you ended up doing. This has been a fun topic to debate and hear people weigh in on.

-regards, TKO

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:33 pm

Yea there's a P-51 in the near future tk for sure. At first my thinking was to first find out when the gunlocker version was comming out but I think perhaps my station within this forum lies outside the norm. What I mean is, if the purchase of any aircraft were for me only then give me the most detailed, factually and structurally accurate aircraft available. I've read the history behind many of the aircraft for sale out there and have spent more time than I'd like to admit making sure that the aircraft and other 1:18 vehicles that I've built by hand are correct. However, I'm again perhaps outside the norm as the aircraft is shared both by me and my 5 year old. With this I have to consider the fact that there's a good chance this aircraft is gonna (eventually) look like the looser in a WWII dogfight with pieces strewn all over the landscape (living room). So while my earlier posts were more detailed driven, durablity is perhaps just as important.

Yea, I know, maybe I should consider other companies that provide less detailed but more durable models. I have - they're friggin boring. Look, if the kid want's me to play with him then it's gonna be with somethin' a little more realistic. The power ranger series just doesn't cut it. Ok, I jest but there is a little truth in what I'm writing...

The search continues and the discussion (argument?) regarding who's got the best product really is a delight to read. Thank you all.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:19 am

Hi MightyMustang,
It’s Yoxford

Yes I do have pics and will gladly send them to you. I also have many Mustang pics (if you don’t own it yet you need to pick up “To War with the Yoxford Boys” history of the 357th. Great close up shots and yes many rivets were visible. You are correct, they were natural silver (all the paint rubbed off with gas or any available solvent) and you are right they were also painted silver...but not the nice metal flake custom clear coat that I was referring to and should have mentioned to avoid confusion.

As far a weathering, yes I do my own painting and weathering but the response was aimed at someone who may not have the know-how or time to do any custom mods.

The BBI Hurry Home Honey needed may detail upgrades: new antenna mast, drilled out and installed metal 50 cal. barrels, replaced the string antenna with micro wire and a spring assy. to keep the wire taunt, leather headrest, pitot tube assy., brace and cable assy. in the rear radiator duct, future dipped the canopy, and yes I did fill in some rivet detail because some of it (on the wings) was not quite accurate. :shock: I must say that I am a fan of the ETO and 357th FG. The BBI stang gave me the canvas I needed to super detail a large scale P-51 D.

Remember the Mustangs in WWII were built for one purpose keep the pilot alive so he can kill the enemy effectively. Life span of a P-51 at best was one year. (Petie the 2nd only lasted a couple of months before it was totaled in a jeep accident)

I need to say thank you to 21st Century, BBI , and Unimax for even making these wonderful models in the first place!

The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature while viewing it, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Mustang Pic

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:48 am

Hey Yoxford its MightyMustang,

PLEASE send me some pics of your Hurry Home Honey project buddy because I would love to see them. Send them to:

[email protected]

Understand that I was in no way condeming the BBI Mustang because its a great looking bird and besides its a Mustang so I love anything that has the look of the Stallion of the skies. I just feel that 21st with their new tool Mustang has the look and feel of the real thing. For instance it has the correct forward rake, correct wing dehedral and correct spinner. Now the new tool Mustang does have faults like the props are bent (which will be corrected) and they come with grey tires not black! I dont know why 21st did that. Also the cockpit is not as detailed as the BBI Mustang's is. Other then that I love it plus I did some detailing on my 21st "Petie" to correct those faults.

Anyway I look forward to seeing your pics.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:56 pm

tpa05

Perhaps you should buy the BBI Mustang for your son. It will most likely be the slightly more durable of the 2 you could buy. And the gunlocker Mustang for yourself when it does come out next year. To me this seems to be a good scenario since the BBI one may not break as fast...and once you have the gunlocker Mustang your son may prefer his BBI version so he may not touch the gunlocker one.

*I am not implying that the XD Mustangs are fragile...BBI and XD are VERY durable toys...BBI is just slightly more durable*

My reasoning is that since in essence you will have bought 2 mustangs...your son may only feel the need to play with one. Maybe he would be bored with 2? So thats why you can keep the gunlocker one for yourself.

And man...your kid is lucky! I used to practice hard carrier landings all the time with my gijoe planes when I was a child. Fun! Till the neighbor broke them. grrr!! Toy planes RULE! Especially these realistic 1/18 ones....seriously a habit I would never break!

BTW boys, what exactly is this dihedral you guys keep talking about on the XD stang's? I keep hearing good reviews about the XD and one of the main reasons is the dihedral. Is it spoilers and slats? I'm confused!

And does the XD stang have any PVC soft parts to it? Just wondering. Also does the landing gear spring lock/load? I am asking since it came out after the F-104

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:56 am

I have both BBI and 21st Mustangs.
Ditto here. I've got an Old Crow from BBI and an Undertaker from 21C. Neither has been removed from it's box but I have to say that Undertaker is my hands down favorite of the two.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:54 am

The dihedral is the upward angle of the wing from the vertical when seen from the front, or nose of the aircraft.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:06 am

Yoxford wrote:The dihedral is the upward angle of the wing from the vertical when seen from the front, or nose of the aircraft.

Yoxford hit it right on the money.