San Diego ComicCon

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
digger
Officer - Brigadier General

well,

Post by digger » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:06 am

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:17 am

Beep--I thought the Beep was an amphibious jeep? Did I miss something or am I wrong about what a beep is?
Aaron

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:22 am

i think he means the mutt reissue but i've never heard it called a beep.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:24 am

Ok--that makes sense.
Aaron

digger

WC-51

Post by digger » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:32 am

I'm not talking about re-issues or repaints (otherwise we have a lot - the Stuka, the Corsair, the M48, etc..).

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:37 am

lol.....when did that come out? I think i missed it..

digger

doh..

Post by digger » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:14 am

I guess I already forgot the 2 humvee variants that came out at the same time. :oops: You can see the thread on the WC-51 here:
viewtopic.php?t=3382&highlight=wc51

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:23 am

oh that's the beep...all these 1/4 ton trucks/command cars/wc-51 things look the same to me so i have trouble distinguishing them...lol.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:30 am

SURE FRUSTRATING BUT i DONT THINK COMIC CON IS A BIG ISSUE NOR THE PLACE FOR THE 1:18 INDUSTRY TO SHOW OFF THEIR NEW STUFF.

what will kill the industry is the cost involved in creating new toys.
In order for the companies to survive they have to reissue items with new paint schemes, they have to remove the figure from the package - they must be creative and create as many items from an original mold as possible.

What I would do is continue to release these items but possible throw in different unit brigade markings etc. Give us reason to buy our "um kids" more and more of the same vehicle. 1:18 also needs smaller playsets which will keep the younger kids in the hunt asking their parents to buy more items. for example (morter pit, foxholes for the BoB figures) bunkers, machine gun nests.) Build the playsets that parents can purchase under $10.00 create a market for multiple figure purchases.

Also - whining about what a company did not make will not help that company create the item you want them to make. Be productive in your rants.

The companies have to be secretive as you have three companies begging you to buy their product.
We ask for a King Tiger - Very costly to make -
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:34 am

well i'm a bit dissappointed that nothing new turned up at the last minute for comic con i was really hoping that we would see something else. The new figure looks nice but i'd like to know if his hat comes off and what gun he will come with as he currently has an m249 and his chest rig would suggest that it is that weapon but he has a drop leg holster for m-4 mags which is a bit strange (i know the m249 can take m-4 mags just seems a bit odd) also he looks like hes got something on the lower part of his right leg perhaps a knife.
By my reconing there are atleast three more modern figures that are on the way this one and the ones from toy fair.
in this pic the middle fig looks to be the released sniper on the right of him we have what looks like a sleaveless figure armed with the m60 e4 that came with the para.
The one on the left looks too different from the latest pic to be the same fig. this one looks grey with something arround his neck that looks like a life preserver and there is no sign of the big m249 pouches on his chest he also looks to have a helmet and not a baseball cap.
http://photos.figures.com/photo/1/showp ... 6&cat=3437
Also i recon there will be new Target packs as the one in the top left of this pic seems to have weapons from the new weapons packs.
http://photos.figures.com/photo/1/showp ... 9&cat=3437

I am disappointed that bbi wont tell us what is coming out if they were intending to show it off at comic con i just hope that they update their websight ASAP as i like everyone else here really want to see new product it'd also be great if mike could give us a little heads up before these figs etc hit just so that we could keep an eye out. The problem with bbi and 21st century is that they do such great stuff that we just want more :)

Edit: i agree with STUKA playsets would be very cool and a great way to build your own battle scenes as kids and to buy more figs
Last edited by scope uk on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:43 am

fov, dragon and many other companies announce their product lines months in advance, as do the major model makers. Those things cost a ton to make because they do it from scratch, not copy an existing model, yet they see no need for all this hush hush stuff.

The secrecy is really not necessary after a point. However, my main frustration is that for two years we have heard all sorts of promises of upcoming goodies that just never quite seem to materialize or get pushed back or delayed (or lost).

I've been going through this for almost 6 years now, so i have the right to get frustrated and to 'rant' once and a while. The 1/18 scale market is a very sloppy industry.

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:02 am

Aferguson,

I am shocked that you, of all people, are sounding like you are giving up. You have spoken with both Mike and I privately and you know our intentions when it comes to releasing information. For Admiral Toys Incorporated it is not because we do not want to tell every one of you the moment we approve a new project. (Trust me; it is much harder to keep your mouths shut. We get excited about all of our projects.) One of the main reasons for Admiral Toys’ secrecy is contractual obligations. Our two newest projects are being made for other organizations. There are press releases that will be announced, photo shoots to show you the product and, most importantly, an agreed upon time of announcement.

Our hands are tied when it comes to releasing information. However, we are not contractual bound by the F-86E, CL-13 and ME 262. So if you have not seen it before, here you go:

1. CL-13 in Hartmann’s colors… sometime this fall… plus or minus a month.
2. ME 262 in the “White 8” colors… September…
3. ME 262 second paint scheme… October/November.
4. Completely new model… contractual obligation not to release info about… announcement in one and a half months.
5. Completely new model… another contractually obligated aircraft… announcement… to be announced, redundant I know.

The amount of time it takes to develop and manufacture these 1:18 models is long. If you look at 1:72 aircraft you will see approximately 30-40 individual parts that have to work together, and most just have to fit together. But some of our 1:18 scale aircraft have over 200-300 parts that have to work together. Therefore, they take much time to develop. We told you June to July for the ME 262. July is soon to end and we do not have the 262 ready for shipping. Why?...things happen. I can sit here and tell you all the things that happen but that will take too long and most of it will not be understood. It has to do with injecting, deformation, shrinkage and etcetera.

Because of the past delays by all companies you may have noticed a shift in the flow of information:

“If the manufacturer does not tell you about a project then it does not appear to be delayed when it finally arrives.”

For your info, we are swamped by phone calls and emails the second we announce a release. You the customers get really excited about the new release, this is understandable. (New products are rare in 1:18 scale.) But if the product is not on your shelf within one or two months of announcement many of you begin to turn on the manufacturer and denounce their efforts. This is why it is safer for the manufacturer not to release any information about a product until it is on the boat. If three weeks from now I stated for the first time that we are producing the ME 262, and you saw it three weeks later, you would be ecstatic. Announcement... immediate release is the way most manufacturers are headed. Allowing the customer to follow delays and product development is not the way to keep a good name in this business. Delays will occur, and they make us look bad.

So to rap up: I do not think you should be so hard on BBI and the rest of us manufacturers. (1) they may be contractually obligated not to say anything about the new release or (2) they wish not to allow you to see the time of development and potential delays.

Unfortunately, it appears to be a lose/lose situation for manufacturers when it comes to forums. We are damned for releasing information and having the project delayed, and we are damned if we do not release information about upcoming projects.

And let me cut you off at the pass with your next thought. You may be thinking: “Well Jason, why don’t you just get a product out when you say you will.” My answer is:

Fly 8,000 miles with me in a couple of weeks and you will begin to see why. If any of you work in an industry where the majority of your product is made… lets say… just 200 miles away, you understand our frustration. It is not like I can run down the street and tell them how to do something or correct a problem. It is conference calls, emails, shipping models back and forth, me going to China, endless photos for reference, talking with the actual 1:1 manufacturers. The reasons go on and on. Accurate forecasting is very "very" difficult.

Remember that two of the 1:18 manufacturers are US corporations. We do not have the convenience of being based in the country of orgin.

Regards,
Jason
Last edited by Jason of Admiral Toys on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 am

Jason your points are all well made but despite what you have said it still gets frustrating for the individual collector, regardless of the reasons why it happens and every once and a while people sound off a bit. Today it was my turn.

This is little different from people who gripe when their favourite sports team loses a big game, who complain when their favourite TV show is cancelled etc etc. In the grand scheme of things it's trivial but it's still human nature to vent when frustrated.

The secrecy thing is not the big issue, as i stated above. I"ve been in this hobby now for 5 years 9 months and have been on a constant roller coaster of big promises and let downs; expectations created then taken away. After a while the shine comes off the diamond a bit and you start getting to the point where you really don't care anymore what happens.

I'm well aware that 21c, BBI and AT have their issues to deal with and their reasons for why things are the way they are but the flip side of is that the individual who buys the stuff, and who is your whole reason for being, can get pretty exhasperated at times. I'm not sure that enough attention or thought is given to that fact...

There, i feel better now.. :)

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:02 pm

I'm with you Andrew. We've seen it all in this hobby. From great surprises to monumental letdowns. Then you have AT come along and shake up the pot a bit. When new stuff comes, it comes. There's nothing we can actually do about it except suck it up and cheer when something actually materializes. The excitement has worn off quite a bit due to false expectations. It doesn't make me collect any less, but it sure takes out the fun.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

boyx30
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by boyx30 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Well remember if it wasn't for the internet we'd all be in the dark until something magically arrived at our local WalMart, ToysRus,Target or K-Mart like when we were children...so is it better knowing or not knowing?
I get the frustration level believe me....but all in all I think we are still way better off than we were even with the delays and disappointments along the way...hang tough guys (all you good soldiers/pilots/marines/sailors) vicory is just around the bend!

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:54 pm

Hartmanns Sabre, oh yes! I have my shelves waiting for these awesome Sabres coming out! :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:38 pm

boyx30 wrote:Well remember if it wasn't for the internet we'd all be in the dark until something magically arrived at our local WalMart, ToysRus,Target or K-Mart like when we were children...so is it better knowing or not knowing?
I get the frustration level believe me....but all in all I think we are still way better off than we were even with the delays and disappointments along the way...hang tough guys (all you good soldiers/pilots/marines/sailors) vicory is just around the bend!

A great reminder boyx30 - the free flow of information is quite the double-edged sword. Ironically, I think we might all be happier if we had little or no way to know about these things (pre-internet days) and we just showed up to find it one day. Getting your hopes way up based on seeing an actual product on the internet that never materializes is probably more frustrating.

And Jason - I certainly agree that you manufacturers are "damned if you and do and damned if you don't". The forums will tear you apart for anything missed! You, or 21C, or BBI, are of course not trying to miss hoped for delivery dates. If there was some easy way to take all the snafus out of producing 1:18 scale toys, you would all be doing it - or heck, I'd be doing it if I truly thought you were missing something obvious I could do better.

We have to remember guys - nobody wants these things delivered on time to us more than people like Jason. And nobody would want to wet the appetite of the buyers with juicy info more than people like Jason. They feel the pain much more acutely than us -- they lose cash when their buyers become disenchanted and go elsewhere to spend their money. I mean, when's the last time any of us had a solid week of work with no setbacks? That's just life in any profession.

shadow83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by shadow83 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:30 pm

With bbi we hear absolutely nothing from them.Anything new we usually find out from members who have already found the stuff in stores.21st and admiral toys, they at least let us know about upcoming models months in advance.Granted 21st hasnt really been to good with following through(avenger,sahara line),but at least we get new products more often.As far as i can tell bbi has no marketing.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:31 pm

I just wish bbi would keep us informed more ahead of time like Admiral and 21st does. bbi has given us some spectacular models but who knows when anything is coming out or IF anything is coming. I applaud Admiral and 21st for the efforts they make in letting us know what they are doing for our hobby. Delays in a project finally arriving don't bother me at all as long as I know what is going on with it or that it is being done. It's hard being taunted with the image and idea that your favorite aircraft might be coming but then never hearing anything about what's going on with it. That's the true discouraging factor for me.... :?

Go Ugly Early in 1/18 scale!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Marketing

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:56 pm

I kind of take it all with a grain of salt. 21C has certainly upset alot of people with delay after delay of their "announced" Avenger, but I for one am still going to grab it as soon as I can. Not for the "resale or collector" value, but because I admire good work when I see it. The internet has certainly accelorated information passing to new heights...we hear more quicker. But try not to loose sight of the fact that this is marketing. Jason and the AT gang have (thankfully) raised the bar on buyer notification and satisfaction in hitting marketing schedules as close as possible, but the pitfalls can be varied and deep. Too much information and unexpected delays raise concerns and torpedo strategy. Too little information and surprise releases can do the same. Me...I'll just wait for the release to happen and then spend my money on what I think is worthwhile. Jason...I am a died-in-the-wool AT fan (besides being a Texan too)! Bottom line....If you make it (well) they will come (and buy buy buy)! Just my $0.02 worth...
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:43 am

Thanks for the responce Jason -
I'm ok with the waiting - in fact That keeps more money in my pocket.

I really like the idea of just giving hints and maybe partial pics of parts of the item when you get close to the release date.
That appears to be the best happy medium for the forum groups. it makes for great discussion and speculation - along with not having to give some tangible date that is out of your control.

Oh - and small cheap WWII 1:18 playsets -
be the pioneer -
oh and I don't mind giving ideas on what I'd buy.

Stuka
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:18 pm

hi guys i am not familiar with the wwii stuff but just found these pics not sure if they are new or not just thought would give a heads up
http://www.merit-intl.com/month/7-24-06/comic con/Picture 193.jpg

http://www.merit-intl.com/month/7-24-06/comic con/Picture 192.jpg

digger

mustangs

Post by digger » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:29 pm

Those are the new 1/24 mustangs. Just more stuff that I have no interest in like the 1/12 figures. Meanwhile there has not been a bbi 1:18 vehicle in about a year and half, nor a plane since the Zero whenever that was... :roll:

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:38 pm

Digger that was a fast responce lol i just noticed the sizing on the label and was going to change my post oh well i guess we have to wait for the website to be updated.

VMF115

Re: mustangs

Post by VMF115 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:02 pm

digger wrote:Those are the new 1/24 mustangs. Just more stuff that I have no interest in like the 1/12 figures. Meanwhile there has not been a bbi 1:18 vehicle in about a year and half, nor a plane since the Zero whenever that was... :roll:
I agree I would like to see a A-10, F-14, F-15, Tornado fighter, Mig 29 and a Su 27.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!