Slightly OT: eBay listings for german planes?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Lefty
Sergeant
Sergeant

Slightly OT: eBay listings for german planes?

Post by Lefty » Wed May 10, 2006 12:06 pm

I've seen auctions get pulled/cancelled because a 1:18 toy had a historically accurate (albeit politically incorrect) swastika on it.

So what's up with THIS?

Just seems strange that toys would cause such a stir but this doesn't?

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed May 10, 2006 12:57 pm

Well, he obviously got around the auto censor by mispelling swastika. He may be subject to getting tattled on or caught by a spot check.

I've actually seen a 1/18 german plane (think it was a 109) get all the way through an auction with the tail swastika not obscured. Go figure.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

luftpanzer
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by luftpanzer » Wed May 10, 2006 1:29 pm

Ussually its some one offended by the historicaly accurate markings that report it to ebay to get the items pulled. What I dont understand is, if people are offended buy the item why do they go to the pages to look. :roll:
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed May 10, 2006 1:44 pm

not to take sides in this issue but i wonder what happens if someone posts a Finnish WWII plane on Ebay. It would have big blue swastikas all over it but have nothing to do with Nazism and therefore should not be offensive in the slightest.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Lefty
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lefty » Wed May 10, 2006 7:25 pm

The strange thing to me isn't the auction or the coin/swastika itself, but the quote in the description???

BTW aferguson - I'm with you on the 1:18 Macchi! I'll take one like this please:

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Thu May 11, 2006 9:10 am

That Machi has Fascist markings and Im deeply offended by them. please remove that picture. LOL :lol:

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Thu May 11, 2006 9:19 am

Anything anybody thinks, does or says is offensive to somebody somewhere - I find it offensive that the Moral Minority think they know what I should and should not be allowed to see or do - who appointed them and gave them judgement that is so much better than mine, or anybody elses??

:twisted: Besides, the swastika was originally a druidic fertility symbol, so I'm surprised the Religious Fanatics (of any religious persuasion) haven't tried to get Hitler reincarnated just so they can have a go at him for using non-(insert religion of choice here) politically correct symbols... :twisted:

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Thu May 11, 2006 9:29 am

One of our Infantry Divisions from the south west used the szwatica on their Divison patch befor we entered WW2. I belive it was the Thunderbird Div.

worldwar2buff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by worldwar2buff » Fri May 12, 2006 5:31 am

If you read the rules on Ebay, coins with the swastika are allowed. Other items are not.

It's all complete Politically Correct BullS@%T.

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Fri May 12, 2006 10:15 am

I believe luftpanzer is correct. I remember reading that the swastika is originally a native american symbol but it faced the other way or something. Don't quote me that though :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri May 12, 2006 11:53 am

"The swastika is an archetypal, universal human religious symbol. It appears on every continent and is as old as humankind. A marker of the sun's travels, it can be seen on Pictish rock carvings, adorning ancient Greek pottery, and on ancient Norse weapons and implements. It was scratched on cave walls in France seven thousand years ago. A swastika marks the beginning of many Buddhist scriptures, and is often inciused on the soles of the feet of the Buddha in statuary. In the Jain religion, it is a symbol of the seventh Jina (Saint), the Tirthankara Suparsva. To Native Americans, the swastika is a symbol of the sun, the four directions, and the four seasons."

The swastika is also a prevelant symbol in the occult, which is why it was chosen as the Nazi symbol, by Hitler, as he was very much into the occult beliefs..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

A Penny's Worth

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri May 12, 2006 2:38 pm

Just my $.02 (pun intended) but these coins are NOT military coins you see and hear about. These are currency used by everyone during the Nazi era of power...pretty much like steel pennies used here in the US during the same timeframe (because copper was needed for the war effort). I had to laugh at the "coins that Hitler and Goering (sp?) held" stuff...you gotta be kidding right? Like that 1944 US penny was once held by Marshal...or Eisenhower...or Patton...? A "phennig" is about half the size of a US penny (yup...real small) and worth about 1/2 cent US. As for the swastika....if you have a problem with the "bent cross" being associated with Nazism....I'll leave that as your problem and not make it mine. What I find offensive and objectionable....is for me to deal with and I'll not belly-ache, kick and scream, and flail publically until it's changed. I believe that intelligent people will make intelligent decissions...just let them make up their own minds.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri May 12, 2006 4:36 pm

As far as ebay goes it all boils down to some French jerkoff attorney that threatened to sue ebay and had the backing of the French govt. Apparantly their citizens were purchasing Nazi items (illegal in France and Germany, anything with a swastika on it). So, what does ebay do, punish the whole world and ban the stuff altogether. How about, take the WW2 German section away from those countries, it CAN be done. I've had items pulled from gun parts to toy planes as well, they always quote that WW2 German items aren't allowed on ebay...well guess what nimrod, better get rid of the whole damn category then because if it's WW2 German military...IT'S NAZI!!!! Ebay claims NOT to seek out Nazi auctions just so they can close them, this may or may not be true. It's the busybody dweebs with nothing else to do, or a girlfriend for that matter, that go and search out items so they can report them. I had a WW2 Italian sleeve eagle pulled, NO swastika whatsoever. Just shows how ignorant the minimum wage idiots at ebay are that maintain the trivial part of the system. They emulate what they hate, one of Hitler's first tools was censorship...which is exactly what ebay is doing. It's unwinnable with them, hypocrisy is a habit and they got it bad. :wink:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri May 12, 2006 4:46 pm

ok guys, this thread is getting way off topic and becoming unproductive. There are two sides to this swastika viewpoint.

This subject has come up every few months for the last five and half years i have been on these boards and generally nothing productive comes of it and they degenerate to insults and name calling.

If you have a grievance with the way Ebay does business take it up with them.