A-10 Who would you rather see make it, BBI or 21st Century?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

A-10 Who would you rather see make it, BBI or 21st Century?

Post by wolf8564 » Thu May 04, 2006 12:44 pm

I personally think that BBi would do the better job but that is only because of there work with the F-16 and the F/A-18. I also think that there models are quite a bit more rugged as I found out last night when my Dog (Large Shepard) whent by my F-18and caught the sidewinder with her tail and proceeded to drag it off the coffee table. :x Believe it or not they crash supriseingly well. :lol:

Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Thu May 04, 2006 12:47 pm

I think 21st Century could make an A-10 every bit as nice as BBI. I think when the F-86F and Mig-15 are released, we will see how 21st Century is raising the bar with their models. After all, they already make an excellent F-104. Either way, I would love an A-10. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Thu May 04, 2006 1:51 pm

I have a bit of loyalty to 21st since they were the ones who got things going in 1:18 planes, so I'd love to see them make one.

And like you said, the F-104 proves they can make a damn fine post-WWII aircraft.

Maybe the F-104 has the right model number to fortell the future production: the first two numbers for the A-10, the third number for F-4. Wait, that's a bit of a stretch. Forget it. 8)

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Thu May 04, 2006 1:55 pm

Agreed, I think 21st would do a wonderful job if they made it.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu May 04, 2006 2:19 pm

Hmmm.... well, either way I think I would be delighted, but I suppose if had to choose only one to produce it I would cast my vote for 21C.

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Thu May 04, 2006 2:27 pm

I think 21st would do the better job on the detail & paint. (think F-104)

I also think bbi will release it first.

"So let it be written"
"So let it be done"
Last edited by JohnLumley on Thu May 04, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Thu May 04, 2006 2:27 pm

i think the 21st F-104 is light years ahead of the BBi F-18 & a lot better than the F-16.
but would buy an A-10 or F-4 from either co. or AT for that matter. :oops:
everybodys latest planes are top notch in my book :D :shock: :P :idea:

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Thu May 04, 2006 3:53 pm

I would have one no matter who makes it. (Make that two.) Having said that, I tend to agree that 21C would probably do a better job on the Hog. I have but two long standing gripes with bbi vehicles;

1. Flexible, almost rubber-like parts used for some parts of the vehicle. (Which by the way, enamel paint refuses to dry on.)

2. Parts molded in color, not painted. It is hard to replicate color and finish when it is molded in the plastic. ( The LAV is a perfect example.)

I love bbi's products and these minor nit-picks would never prevent me from purchasing any of their products, my F/A-18's are the pride of my fleet!

Maybe I'm just too picky :wink: .

Somebody, PLEEEEEESE build the Hog, anybody!!!!!!

-Rob

me122172
Corporal
Corporal

Post by me122172 » Thu May 04, 2006 4:07 pm

I think that 21st would do a better job, but I do not think there is a chance that you would see one from them in the next two years. They are to involved with their Avenger, F-86, Mig, retools of the P-51 etc. to have room in their production lines for such a large aircraft.

I feel the reason many say BBI would not do such a fine job is because of the detail on the F-18, 16. When you look at the F-18 you must think that they had to cut corners to get the production into a sales viable price range. The F-104 is a much easier model to tool and therefore can afford more detail and moving parts. The F-18 is a beast compared to the 104 and to incorporate moving parts and detail associacted with smaller models would price it out of the market. When I say size I am considering girth, amount of molds, wastage of plastic and paint.

This leads to a question: Would you all be happy with the A-10 if it had the functionality of the F-18 or do you expect all moving flight controls, etc?

If you remember even 21st cut some corners in their 104 by not incorporating airbrakes... a fundamental constituent to the design of the Korean war era.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Thu May 04, 2006 5:19 pm

I think 21st would do a better job, my only complaint is thta BBI's Jets don't tend to be as well made as 21st ones. But I'd be glad to get one no matter who makes it.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dfoos » Thu May 04, 2006 5:24 pm

I only collect a few modern sets, and most of them are bbi, (just happend that way for no specific reason) but if an A-10 were produced I'd buy it whichever one made it. If I had to choose, I'd have to say, bbi. I love them both, but what I have seen is that bbi makes slightly more detailed stuff and adds a little more reality to is (muddy tires on their Humvee's, the soot coated faces and grimey uniforms on their troopers and airborne.) I have both bbi and 21c planes and I haved found that the detail level is generally higher on the bbi. just look at the fuel tanks on the Mustangs.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu May 04, 2006 6:06 pm

I think whichever company is willing to make the effort and put a plane out - great. We tend to split hairs on the BBI/21C arguments. Compare either 21C and BBi (or AT, for that matter) to an airplanes put out by Hasbro, for example. BBi and 21C blow them out of the water.

All I hope is if we ever see the A-10, only one company does it. I don't see a beast that big being something many people can have more than one of.

digger

well...

Post by digger » Thu May 04, 2006 6:26 pm

Morian Miner wrote:I think whichever company is willing to make the effort and put a plane out - great. We tend to split hairs on the BBI/21C arguments. Compare either 21C and BBi (or AT, for that matter) to an airplanes put out by Hasbro, for example. BBi and 21C blow them out of the water.

All I hope is if we ever see the A-10, only one company does it. I don't see a beast that big being something many people can have more than one of.
I'll take one from whoever - I have no preference. That said you will not see one from 21st, and I will not mention bbi's A-10 because that has got me in the doghouse before. :oops:

However, don't knock Hasbro too hard - I was discarding my old Hasbro Joe F-14 (Skystriker?) and Tomahawk helo, both at least 20 years old...and BOTH HAD REMOVABLE PANELS!! The helo had engine access and the jet also had detail under removable panels. And I remember the Rattler had damage panels you could swap in/out. So there are some awesome features Hasbro gave us 20 years ago that we are still wrestling out of these companies.. :wink:

Morian Miner

Re: well...

Post by Morian Miner » Thu May 04, 2006 7:20 pm

digger wrote:
I'll take one from whoever - I have no preference. That said you will not see one from 21st, and I will not mention bbi's A-10 because that has got me in the doghouse before. :oops:

However, don't knock Hasbro too hard - I was discarding my old Hasbro Joe F-14 (Skystriker?) and Tomahawk helo, both at least 20 years old...and BOTH HAD REMOVABLE PANELS!! The helo had engine access and the jet also had detail under removable panels. And I remember the Rattler had damage panels you could swap in/out. So there are some awesome features Hasbro gave us 20 years ago that we are still wrestling out of these companies.. :wink:
Point taken. Then again, the Rattler damage panels looked like someone hit them with a soldering iron. We'd lynch 21C/BBi/AT if they pulled that crap now! :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 04, 2006 8:53 pm

Even though I wouldn't plan to get a 1:18 A-10 if one was ever made, should your long awaited day come, I would hope 21c bites the bullet and makes one. The current BBI 1:18 jets are awesome, but lack the overall detail that 21c tends to include in their planes (look at the F-104 and soon to be F-86 and Avenger).

If BBI made an A-10 in line with the detail of their WWII aircraft, then it would be a very difficult decision between the two brands. Despite my preference for a 21c warthog, I think we may have a better chance of seeing an A-10 produced by BBI than 21c given the latter's reluctance to take on a project of that proportion.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Thu May 04, 2006 10:15 pm

Well since we all deal in the here and now, I'd like to see BBi do it as I suspect they'd get it in our hands first. If we're talkin' 10-20years down the road :lol: then of course I'd love to see 21st do one. In either case, I'd just be happy to see one period, regardless of who chooses to do it.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri May 05, 2006 3:22 am

With how things turn out, it wouldn't surprise me if Admiral, bbi and 21st ALL put out an A-10. With nobody talking to eachother or at least hinting on what they plan to do next earlier in the planning period, we are doomed to dupes...... :evil:

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri May 05, 2006 5:27 am

I wouldn't care who produced an A-10 in 1/18 scale, just as long as someone does it. Whether it is done by bbi, 21st, Admriral, or some never before heard of company. As long as it has the level of detail that bbi's F-18 and F-16 does, I'll be a very very happy camper.... :D :D

So with that said, someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GIVE US A 1/18 A-10 WARTHOG!!!!!!!!!!

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by corpbob » Sat May 06, 2006 2:04 pm

I'd prefer BBI because with them it would be on the shelves while 21st would still be talking about it..............

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Sat May 06, 2006 4:44 pm

Why don't 21C, BBI, and AT all draw straws. A-10, F-4, and F-14. It doesn't make a big difference who does which one to me. :roll: :)

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Sat May 06, 2006 5:52 pm

Right now I'm going to have to say none of the above. The quality of workmanship on 21st's offerings is sporadic at best and Wal-Mart has them by the balls on what they will buy form them. BBI is so schizophrenic about their product lines they could announce a prototype then get out of the hobby for a year or two only to decide they wan't to play again. Overall my money is on a small compnay like Admiral Toys to fill a niche for planes like the A-10 and so far they are off to a good start with the F-86.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sun May 07, 2006 7:11 pm

I would welcome either one if they were committed to an accurate highly detailed collector model with moving flight control surfaces, working turbines, working chaff/flare dispensers, and of course a firing canon!-Whew I think I went out of control there for a minute, well maybe at least moving control surfaces. Anyway, Admiral might be a good one too. I hope the size of this one doesn't keep it from getting made. I am setting aside $ now for it's future release.
Todd

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Sun May 07, 2006 7:26 pm

I would love to have one and don't care who makes it. ;)

However, I think 21st Century has probably missed their opportunity despite the fact that they've had one modelled for years.

Now, I suspect (through no inside information or actual foreknowlege) that BBI is likely to make one and therefore 21st Century is probably UNlikely to proceed with one.

Who knows though...
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com