Question about the Japanese XD figures

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Loki
Corporal
Corporal

Question about the Japanese XD figures

Post by Loki » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:58 am

I have a bunch of the Imperial Army figures and they have two different shades of uniform, a green and a khaki. From what I gather these are the series 1 and series 2 repaints. Recently I spotted a few of the Imperial Marines figures in green like the army figures were. They were mixed in with some of the tan Marines, the base figure is almost identical to the green Army figure in terms of plastic color and paint. Now the tan Imperial Marines are series 3 repaints, are these green ones series 4 or just a goof up ? Has anyone else seen them ?

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Another XD Japanese question...

Post by parrish333 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:22 pm

Interesting find on the green Japanese marines! Really not sure what's up with that!

I have another Japanese figure question: what exactly is the weapon that comes with Pvt. Yamato? It looks a little bit like a mortar but I really don't know.

Also, the Ekiguchi figure has a neat little machine gun. The clip inserts pretty far forward on the gun though. Is this accurate? Seems like the bullets wouldn't have much barrel length to provide any accuracy.

But hey, I know just about squat when it comes to WWII Japanese small arms so somebody please help me out :)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:31 pm

it's a japanese 'knee' mortar. The name knee mortar was given by US troops because the curved base plate looks like it should go against your thigh during firing. This is not at all the case and one would quickly break their leg if they tried it.

It's a little 50mm mortar, very useful weapon and quite common among japanese troops. Either fired from a kneeling positon or from prone...in both cases with the base plate dug into the ground a bit.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

digger
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

type 100

Post by digger » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:58 pm

The clip inserts pretty far forward on the gun though. Is this accurate? Seems like the bullets wouldn't have much barrel length to provide any accuracy.

You can see it does insert very far forward. And the clip is removable on the 21C version. 8)

The mortar was called a "Knee mortar" through a translation error - the "leg" mortar was called such b/c it strapped to your leg. The part about GI broken legs is correct.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Thanks!

Post by parrish333 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:42 am

Thanks guys for the info on the mortar and machine gun. This board is like having your own personal military historian to ask questions of! :D