Well, apparently the scale modeling community is slowly.....

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Well, apparently the scale modeling community is slowly.....

Post by WGP Klaus » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:28 am

accepting and appreciating the preassembled 1:18 lineup!

Was attending a local model show in my AO yesterday (NoVa) and overheard several vendors, one of which I've known for quite some time talking to customers, and receiving requests for 1:18 AC and Armor, and some 32nd as well. I spoke with 7 vendors I've dealt with over the years and they all are in the process of starting to stock 1:18 AC and Armor due to the requests they've received in their shops and at various events they attend. One actually carries limited stock already, and can't keep the pieces in his shop for more than a week at a time before having to restock. One local hobby chain has stocked 1:18 AC for just shy of a year, but I've been noticing pieces being sold on a regular basis. This is all new, as most modellers had been anti anything preassembled, as anything along those lines was referred to as a "toy", and now it's slowly but surely gaining acceptance, and this show yesterday proved that. I'll be attending the next show as a vendor as I've got far too much and need to cull the stash a bit, and I expect with the pieces I have, I should do quite well. I'm quite happy to see this hobby growing and in the process of being accepted by a group previously it's biggest critic, which shows that it is indeed something thats not a flash in the pan.

luftpanzer
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by luftpanzer » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:14 am

Im sure its more of the 1/18 scale fans that are buying them up more then the model builders. Lets face it, All the Walmarts all over the country do not carry the complete line of anything and 21st C and other tou companys items show up on the shelvs is spotty at best. So Now the collectors are turning to the traditional hobby shops and collecteble store for the items they are looking for. And that is probably why you are going to see more hobby shops carring more 1/18th airplanes and vehicles.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

markecho
Sergeant
Sergeant

hmmm...

Post by markecho » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:29 am

Now that is some interesting info!
My exerpience is sort of related but on a very very smaller scale. I had a friend that picked up a model zero a year back and they haven't put it together yet. And just last week I picked up the 21st C one for her and I was like "see - all you had to do is wait". Moral of the story is why pay $15 for a model that you have to put together, glue, prime and then paint then add the stickers...when you can pay the same price for something that is 95% done!

Now in the case of someone like myself that does not have the patience nor talent to put models together - I love XD stuff!!! And I love the scale. Just right for accurate scaled figure and vehicles.

Now if model shops are going to increase their demand for 1:18 "toys" I just hope the 1:18 companies are up to the task. There have been lots of delays lately and we all know the QC issues - especially in the RC department. If model builders start collecting these pieces and the "toys" have issues..then those collectors could be made into cynics if 1:18 preassembled pieces real fast.

It is good to hear the hobby may be expanding..but also another thing to keep in mind..most the collectors I know (me included) want to get the most reasonable price. And from what I have seen at hobby shops, those are not the most reasonable prices..hate to say it but wally worlds are.

So does this mean we have to come up with a new name for our type of 1:18 toys?
It is the dang toy companies that have sometimes made me want to stop collecting toys!!!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:27 am

Die hard model builders will most likely never appreciate 1/18 pre-assembled models. But many people who build models do it because they have to, not because they want to. I used to be like that. I built models because i wanted a model of a certain plane or tank and that was the only way to get it.

Now, the pre-built market is beginning to boom and many of the buyers are current (or now ex) model builders.

The size, ease and increasing authenticity of 1/18 will keep winning more and more people over. ;)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:49 am

Well that`s great to hear & I must admit kit builders (which many of us were or even still are) arn`t that objective to the idea to Prebuilt.
It`s getting WAHT The Individual wants that counts.

After all look at 1/72 scale there is plenty of Prebuilt armour at this scale & they sell very well.

I think it`s what the market has available that counts moreso that acceptance.

Either way though that`s great to hear more venders/stores are getting onto the 1/18th bandwagon,this IS Paramount on the success of 1/18th. The easier it is to buy will hopefully be the main reason to push for NEW 1/18th Armour/Aircrafts & figures.

For instance I`m a member of a 1/18 diecast forum/Gallery & I appear to have swung peoples views over to the articulated figures moreso than a Preposed static figure. Also that the 1/18th Plastic brands have a LOT to offer in the 1/18th Diecast Realm :D

So it`s partially swaying people & people also being aware of how good the 1/18 lines are :D

ja
Steel Bonnet

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:17 pm

It doesn't surprise me that more hobby retailers are taking up 1:18 aircraft. The majority of the people who buy models are not professional modelers, and just do the hobby for fun. Pre-assembled small scale military aircraft and armor give a professonal product, for about the same price, considering paints and supplies that would be needed to complete a model kit of certain size. The Hobbytown store in my community took up selling XD products, and they have continued to carry them, so there must be some interest. To me, model building and collecting Xd and other products go hand-in-hand.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:25 pm

That's great news all around for us. More demand= more planes and tanks!!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

MG-42

Great News in the Hobby World !

Post by MG-42 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:44 pm

As a member of the Cincy based IPMS club here. Some members still are critical and call these pre-assembled pre-painted models,.."toys". Unlike myself,..who appreciates both, and collects them as well. The 1/32 and 1/18 stuff are slowly gaining popularity amongst hobbyists,..and that "is great news" for all concerned. :wink:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

HardenSteel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by HardenSteel » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:22 pm

I am in a serious model club and have been promoting this stuff for over 5 years. Acceptance, at first, was very poor indeed - with the usual cries of 'Toys' and 'inaccurate' or 'poor detail'. I saw the potential right away.

My FireFly conversion helped to dispell this attitude, in my area. It proved that you can win model competitions with this scale. (You need to completely redo it to qualify) :)
However, the bias against is still very strong. But really, the 1/18 designers & manufacturors have really stepped up to the plate. When I showed 21st's Spitfire, or the BBI's Mustang, there was grudging admiration for the the level of detail and quality of work.

When I showed BBI's Corsair, F-16, F-18 8) and 21st's F-104 Starfighter, gratuitous salivating was observed. Of course, die hards still say " It's too big - no room! " while they build 1/16 scale armour or the huge 1/35 rail guns.

As long as the manufacturors continue to to do better with each new series, they will make significant in-roads into that rather large market.

Now, I have quite a number of 'serious modellers' admitting that they 'have one or two' in their collection.

Remember, this is a group that is hopelessly caught up in purchasing kits. Thousands of dollars in kits. It breaks up relationships. They haven't a hope of completing even a quarter of their kits purchased, in their LIFETIME. So having one or 2 ( or more) 1/18 scale does provide instant gratification.

Fact: 1/18 scale is beginning to come of age. The Avenger will be the one to seriously break the barrier down.

I hope so, I'm so darned caught up in it!

Cheers,

HD

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

r

Post by eddie372 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:57 am

As a former modeler (mostly 1:144 airliners), I'd venture to say that we're talking apples and oranges here.

The pleasure of modeling has nothing to do with collecting XD or 1:32. In modeling, one derives the pleasure from the act of putting together, sanding, painting and making the model look as realistic and accurate as possible. It's the result of one's labors.

In collecting pre-assembled models, the pleasure (at least for me), consists of having a huge airplane with tons of detail, all ready for playing or displaying, at a comparatively cheap price.

I basically gave up on modeling because at this point in my life, I really don't have the time.

Ed
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:19 am

THE BIGGEST AREA FOR GROWTH IS THE YOUNGER MARKET -

SURE THE DIE-HARD MODEL MAKERS MAY PICK UP A PIECE OR TWO BUT THEY BUILD MODELS BECAUSE THAT IS THEIR HOBBY - THEY LOVE THE WORK AND DETAIL AND TAKE GREAT PRIDE IN THEIR FINISHED PRODUCT -

THE QUESTION IS HOW DO YOU BUILD INTEREST IN THE YOUNGER CROWD AGES 18-25.

MOST OF THE YOUNGER COLLECTORS PROBABLY FOUND 1:18 WHILE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BETTER FOR THE GIjOE TROOPS TO RIDE.

WAS THE REASON I BOUGHT MY BRADLEY FOR FULL PRICE FROM tru FOUR YEARS AGO.

THE CATCH 22 THAT 21ST CENTURY, BBI, AND AT FIND THEMSELVES IN IS PRICING - THE BEST WAY TO GET YOUNGER CHILDREN AND TEENS INTERESTED IS PRICING - BUT TO LOWER PRICING MEANS LOWER QUALITY RESEARCH ON NEW ITEMS. NOW OVER TIME IM SURE THE TECH WILL IMPROVE.

I BELIEVE THESE COMPANIES HAVE WATCHED HASBRO WITH THE STARWARS TOYS VERY CLOSELY - STARWARS FANS BEG FOR THE ACCURATE TIE-FIGHTER AND AT AT ECT BUT WHEN THE PRODUCT COMES OUT AFTER A LOT OF MONEY SPENT THEY SIT AND SIT UNTIL GOING ON CLEARANCE AT TRU FOR %50-70 LESS. PARENTS ARE NOT WILLING TO SPEND THE MONEY ON A LARGE SCALE - THEY MAY BUY ONE LARGE ITEM FOR THEIR CHILD BUT USUALY THAT IS IT.
PRICE AND LACK OF SPACE.

FOR EXAMPLE - THE TARGET TIE-FIGHTER WITH THE LARGER SOLAR PANELS SAT WEEK AFTER WEEK AND FINALLY SOLD WHEN CLEARANCED DOWN TO $19.99. SURE THE DIHARD FANS AND COLLECTORS PICKED ONE UP - BUT THESE ARE THE TYPE THAT PAY 2ND MARKET PRICING PLUS SHIPPING FOR THE PRODUCT WHEN IT IS JUST OUT FOR FEAR THEY WILL NOT SEE ONE IN STORES.

I BELIEVE THE COMPANIES ARE TRYING TO WORK THIS ISSUE AS WE HAVE SEEN PRICING GO DOWN ON SOME OF THE VEHICLES.

HMM WELL - I MUST GET BACK TO WORK - MAY ADD MORE LATER.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

stv9000
Corporal
Corporal

Post by stv9000 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:36 am

I realize this may be hard to do without retooling but unassembled 1/18 may the best of both worlds.
I find great pleasure in modifying this stuff. I for one would pay a little extra for motors in the prop driven
aircraft or at least an option. If nothing else lets have generic “factory” paint jobs and come up with a line
decals we could purchase. Yea I know that would kill the repaint market but its just a thought.

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

amen

Post by eddie372 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:37 pm

Stv900, I couldn't agree with you more. This issue has been throughly discussed before, so if you look through the threads, you'll find all the related posts.

Currently, I'm working on my Eileen P-47, adding an electric motor, lights, and get this...a sound card with pre-recorded radial engine sound, which is just awsome.

When I'm done, I'll be posting either photos or a short video. To instal the motor, I had to cut the entire nose cowling, which was easy to do because there's an almost straight line that makes it rather simple to cut with a fine saw. The P-47 was picked because a) I love the critter, anb b)because the size of the fuselage and the thickness of the wings allow for wires and the speaker that goes with the sound card, which is rather big.

Best regards.

Eddie
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

problemchild
Corporal
Corporal

Post by problemchild » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:32 pm

The pleasure of modeling has nothing to do with collecting XD or 1:32. In modeling, one derives the pleasure from the act of putting together, sanding, painting and making the model look as realistic and accurate as possible. It's the result of one's labors.
Eddie you hit the nail on the head.Its great that we can get these pre assembled big or small scale toys I will call them,Detailed ,painted pre decaled and at a price that is less than buying a 1/48 model kit plus paint ,glue ect...Most kids and adults won't ever or desire to build a model but would a pre assembled. I think diecast and pre assembled kits have taken a huge cut in the model industry.Look at what dragon is doing in 1/35 and smaller targetting wargamers as well.It's great that model builders are looking at the big scale stuff because lets face it this is the wave of the future.If 21st drops the ball I'm sure there's going to be somebody else that pics it up and hits it out of the ball park.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:36 pm

We still need talented modelers... Afterall, who constructs the concept models and prototypes that become the 1:18 and 1:32 planes and tanks we all love? Who will replace Roy at 21c and the staff at Admiral Toys when they're gone?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."