1/18 Aircraft Dilema

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 Aircraft Dilema

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:51 pm

Without going too much into a "I hate moving" tirade, I've been having to pack up my junk room. I'm planning on having everything in boxes except for my aircraft collection. So, on my shelves right now, is most of my XD and BBi aircraft. Pretty much shows what problem I'm having right now - how many more aircraft can I get, since I barely will have enough space for what I have?

I'd love to pick up an undecorated F86 from AT (paint it up as an EtAF fighter) or a German F104 (if I even see them). But what about the Flight 19 Avenger or the MiG-15? Those two are pretty much "required", which is why I've held off on the F86. What about the green BBi Zero, if it shows up at TRU? And what about aircraft that we haven't heard about yet. Or, to make room for the new stuff, do I get rid of one of my FW-190s or P-40s? How about my winter Stuka? And I'm not too fond of the rotate models on display, because I don't/won't have enough storage space to do that.

Just needed to rant a bit, even though this is the kinda "problems" that are good to have. It's a small price to pay for having such nice models out now that are fairly affordable.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:20 pm

Sounds like you're going to have to face some realities, during this time of limited space. Hopefully it won't always be this way and one day you'll have acres to display all your nice stuff but for now the best solution is probably rotating displays and hanging all you can.

I've always thought these planes look very attractive the way they are packaged in their boxes, so that's not a bad option, to display them that way for now. You can stack them to the ceiling.

Another, slightly 'outside the box' solution is to just put one wing on them and store the other one away. Display them in profile. They'll take up about half the space that way. Sort of a 'half a cake is better than none' solution.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:10 pm

I face the same problem and I have had to go the rotation option, storing some aircraft while displaying others. I'm also having to finally bite the bullet and limit myself to the next few releases: the AT F-86 & ME-262, and the 21c retooled P-51, Flt. 19 Avenger, and Mig-15 - and not splurge and get a repaint or two (as I've done in recent months). It will be a shame to ultimately call it quits, but one's collection (especially if it consists of 1:18 products) can only get so large...

As for alternative display options, some boardmembers have had success hanging their aircraft in formations on their walls with fishingline so that the aircraft "sit" on the wall as though they were on a flat surface 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Buy everything! No budget! Stressing over which one to spend your $70.00 on leads to strokes and heart attacks... Worry about storing them later and KEEP them boxes!

That way years later, when you want to sell a few, you have the boxes and that will guarantee being sold. I'm kicking myself I threw away my S1 Me 109 box.

Get a part time job to pay for them, say Walmart needs a toy department associate! Or was that the lingerie department...

Dave

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:33 pm

Interesting thought on the "one wing" idea. Or just need to have the kids "want" them to be hung from their ceiling. :lol:

The wife had an excellant idea the other day when I was showing her my powered baby Hind - put some 110V motors in my Hueys and hang them in formation on the ceiling, and have them run as ceiling fans.

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:56 pm

I've got to admit that I kind of went the other direction and just embraced the move. I packed 90% of my stuff months before the move, leaving only a few select pieces out. Of course, unpacking has been FUN, because it's like buying the stuff NEW all over again.

Of course, I had a pretty big 1/6 collection in a pretty small house, so I was already doing the rotating display stuff. All my helos got displayed without any rotors at all (I had a house with VERY low ceilings, so overhead display wasn't an option...)

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

s

Post by eddie372 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:44 pm

Although space is not a pressing problem for me at this point, the day will come, believe me!

Having said that, I'd add that the best thing you can possibly do under the circumstances would be to buy as many of the models you like, and keep them in their box if you have to. But, would you really want to pass on the F-86 or the BBI Corsair, just because you don't have the space right now? No way.

A day in the future will come when you'll have plenty of displaying space. You'll be very glad you purchased your models when you did.
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

stv9000
Corporal
Corporal

Post by stv9000 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:14 am

Running out of room, I replace a hanging plant with the bbi mustang in our bedroom. So far the wife hasn't said anything. She ether hasn't noticed or doesn't care. I've been lucky so far!

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:03 pm

I saw on Area 21 some one had a photo of all their planes lined up in the driveway. That would be cool if you didnt have to worry obout where to park the car :)
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL