Other 1:18 figures

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

What type of 1:18 scale figures would you like to see made?

Western Cowboys & Native Americans
17%
Roman Gladiators & Legionnaires
17%
Medieval Knights
9%
Oriental Monguls & Samurai
No votes
Mayans, Aztecs, & Conquistadors
No votes
Other (please specifiy)
57%

Total votes: 23

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other 1:18 figures

Post by spect_spidey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:34 am

Just curious what other type of 1:18 scale action figures, with full articulation, people would like to see besides military. Personally I would really like to see some western figures. I think cowboys, sheriffs, Native Americans, Calvary, prospectors, and saloon girl figures would be nice. It has been a really long time, to my knowledge, since any figures from this time period made an appearance in a scal similar to 1:18. The last ones I can think of were made by Kenner & Gabriel in the 80's with their Butch & Sundance for Kenner and the Lone Ranger and Zoro lines for Gabriel.

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

none

Post by digger » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:44 am

Frankly, none. There is probably a reason why Dusty Trails did not release their Western line - very little interest.

With all the uncovered subjects in the military realm, I hate to see companies like bbi making Knights. I know my taste can't dictate what the companies make but I want there to be no doubt that I would rather WWII Brits, Ruskies, DAK...etc....

I know other guys love the idea of expanding outside the realm of military, but that's just not what floats my boat. In turn I did not vote.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:00 am

I'm with Digger. There are other soldiers that still need to be represented in 1/18th.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:05 am

Perhaps some of the Barbarian Tribes that opposed the Romans. The Germanic or British Isles variety for example.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:15 am

Well as great as the options above are,some are already available by the likes of PAPO (they do ROMAN,WESTERN,BARBARIANS,SAMURAI,KNIGHTS off the top of my head).

I voted OTHER & that would be:-

British WWII & Modern.
US Civil War/Indian War.
British Zulu war.
WWI.
English Civil War.
War of Independance.

If better articulated i`d like to see the one`s done that Papo do too. Though as Tomd has shown us,a little custom work can bring PAPO to the articulated world.

ja
Steel Bonnet

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:35 am

I voted for "other" - we need female WWII figures. Civilians, WAVES, WACS, factory workers, British, Russian, even Germans had women in support roles or even combat. Female figures usually are more popular, yet inexplicably none have been made that are compatible with Xd or WWII.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:00 pm

I voted for the Romans. I am a BIG fan of ancient history (having taken numerous courses of it in college) and would love some accurate replicas of Roman legionary and auxillary figures, that have articulation and some accessories. Gladiators would be nice, but I'd rather have Germanic barbarian troops.

normandy

Poll

Post by normandy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:57 pm

I went with Other, I'd like to see some WWII British and Russians.

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:36 pm

Hi Guys

For me I would like to see 1/18 scale WWII British Infantry, 1/18 WWII 1st Canadian Paratrooper Batt and some 1/18 WWII Russians.
But lets start with the 1/18 WWII British Infantry 1st!

Thanks
SGT. Saunders
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

Kleinesoldaten
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Kleinesoldaten » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:14 pm

I'd like to see some Romans with catapults, chariotts etc. etc If I could buy a nice Roman Imperial Legionary for around $5.00, I would most likely collect a Century, possibly a Cohort.

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:56 pm

I voted for 'Other'. I'd LOVE to see a Civil War series!!

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:09 pm

I did "Other". I will be honest - if it is 1:18 scale, articulated, decent looking, and reasonably-priced, I will buy them. All of those sound great. But, for a top choice, I would like to see Civil War, with some post-War Cavalry and Indians.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:37 pm

i voted other too.....Napoleonic figures..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:17 pm

I hope they stick to modern and WWII - I feel they just started -

how about a german 8.8 with three - four man crew and some extra parts - shells etc. 19.99 - 22.99 price range -

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:00 pm

There is actually 1 female 3 3/4" figure that would fit in fairly well with the WWII 1:18 scale figures, Hot Lips Hulahan, from the early 80's M.A.S.H. line of figures. I know this was a show about the Korean War, but the figure could pass for a female nurse in fatigues. The detail is pretty good as far as I can remember, but the waist articulation was made weird. Also I believe their was a female in Navy Dress White in another early 80's toy line called Military One, but the articulation was done in the old Star Wars style.

But to get a little more into the discussion about what WWII needs to be made, what about some Navajo Windtalkers? I would also like some French Resistance fighters.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:04 am

I voted other... Specifically, Civil War.

With any historical area that has a following strong enough for MULTIPLE magazines, there's generally a cash flow. I'm still sort of amazed there isn't more buzz on CW figures overall, but yeah I'd be all into that and I think there's enough base there iwth disposeable income that, if you advertised properly, people would buy. Lots of interchangeable parts possibilities too that you can use to cut costs, and still put out a lot of "new" product people would appreciate.

That said, I'd love lines that focused on any number of historical areas...

-Knights/Medeival/Crusades
-WW I
-Police/Crime/Emergency
-Wild West/Indian Wars
-French & Indian War
-American Revolution
-French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars
-American Civil War

I'd say Civil War and American West would be lines I'd like the most... I think World War I would be up there too though, and maybe even more, but I think the other two have more overall support/interest in the states. I was surprised the DUsty Trails line wasn't run with. I think retailers underestimated where it could have led and that's a shame. It looked so cool too.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:06 am

I voted other also. I hope 21st and BBI
don't get distracted with other projects just yet. As much as I like all military history periods, WW2 is still my favorite era.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:42 am

spect_spidey wrote:There is actually 1 female 3 3/4" figure that would fit in fairly well with the WWII 1:18 scale figures, Hot Lips Hulahan, from the early 80's M.A.S.H. line of figures. I know this was a show about the Korean War, but the figure could pass for a female nurse in fatigues. The detail is pretty good as far as I can remember, but the waist articulation was made weird. Also I believe their was a female in Navy Dress White in another early 80's toy line called Military One, but the articulation was done in the old Star Wars style.
You are absolutely correct, I didn't mention these because they are so odd. The Hot Lips has an horrific sculpt, not to mention poor articulation, and would stand out in a mix of XD and bbi figures. I've never seen the Military One figures in person - just photos - but I've thought they had potential for customizing. There's also the Love Boat Julie figure from the 80's - with some work and a possible re-paint she could be a WAC or WAVE - and the sculpt isn't too bad :? - but, again, extremely poorly designed articulation.

Then there's the MASH Klinger in a dress..... :o

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:44 pm

I voted "other". I'm sticking with WWII. Even though Civil War figs don't sound half bad. Good one, Holensock. Maybe now I can afford that Civil War chess set! :D

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: xd

Post by holensock » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:48 pm

kevrut wrote:I voted "other". I'm sticking with WWII. Even though Civil War figs don't sound half bad. Good one, Holensock. Maybe now I can afford that Civil War chess set! :D
I actually picked Civil War on the chance that I'd be able to find these in the Walmarts in my area :lol:

"WWII XD Figures?...I haven't seen these, nope, nope, WWII SD Men doesn't ring a bell, sorry" (quote from most toy dept. people at WM's here in my area) :wink:

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:12 am

I would love to see heads of nations. Presidents, Monarchs, Dictators, Prime ministers, etc. The good and the bad.
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:31 pm

Good idea Lumley, that would make a good box set.
Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin, Hitler,etc... Or even Generals.

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: xd

Post by Aviatornut.com » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:44 pm

kevrut wrote:Good idea Lumley, that would make a good box set.
Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin, Hitler,etc... Or even Generals.

I agree
I think you might have a problem with thier estate signing off on it.