George Bush's Avenger in 1:18

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
zodiacflash
Corporal
Corporal

George Bush's Avenger in 1:18

Post by zodiacflash » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:57 am

Saw this in my late summer 2017 issue of Military Issue magazine, so I thought I'd look it up at Historic Aviation's website and it's there. It has a picture of a box that says "Flight Wings" and "Aiken's Airplanes Exclusive" in the corners. Anyone know this was coming? $269 seems a little steep. But I guess if the quality is really good, it'd be nice to have.

http://www.historicaviation.com/TBF-Ave ... fo/702472/
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: George Bush's Avenger in 1:18

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:35 am

It's most likely the same quality, as I doubt they retooled the molds. The only difference between this and the one I bought for $40 at Walmart is the paint scheme.

Same old saggy wings too, I'll bet.

zodiacflash
Corporal
Corporal

Post by zodiacflash » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 pm

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:It's most likely the same quality, as I doubt they retooled the molds. The only difference between this and the one I bought for $40 at Walmart is the paint scheme.

Same old saggy wings too, I'll bet.
Yeah, looking more closely at the pics, it probably is. I found it at the actual Aiken's Airplanes site for $198. Did some research on Flight Wings Models and didn't come up with much. That "B" in the corner of the box is weird, too. I guess it's just another company that got the molds from 21C. Makes me wonder if the quality may actually not be as good as 21C's, which isn't saying much. Like you said, that frustrating wing sag. I my opinion, these people are asking a lot, no matter what price, for us to have faith in some virtually unheard of outfit with old molds to spit out something decent. Then again, as a collector, I know there is always that risk of getting something underwhelming. Another example of that would be an item the magazine I mentioned has: Proboat's 1:18-ish radio control Navy PBR, which I have. Order it through the mag for $60 more than regular price, and you get a rechargeable battery, though it doesn't say what kind, and two crew figures. Um, are they poseable? What scale are they? These are legitimate questions, given Proboat doesn't make figures for their products. So who is putting this deal together? They don't say. Plus, the magazine says if the PBR capsizes, just hit the throttle and it will right itself. Uuhhh... No. It won't.

And wow, that was probably too long of a way to say what we all know already. Sometimes we roll the dice when it comes to buying stuff in our hobby. Sometimes you gotta tweak or even repair stuff right out of the box, but like I said, I know that going into it. I would like to say I have room for Bush's Avenger, but I don't. I really missed my chance years ago when I saw the black Bermuda Triangle version at a hobby shop and came up short on funds. Whoever does get this plane, I hope it turns out well.
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:35 am

Ouch. Just took a look on ebay to see how the Avenger is doing tbese days; this stuff's gotten real. Glad I dropped out of that race and switched to kits. I can't justify those costs.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:38 pm

The Bush Avenger was discussed earlier.

Link: http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... =1&t=35321