The obvious Avenger wing fix works

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

The obvious Avenger wing fix works

Post by mikeg » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:04 pm

this is a bad idea (at least the way I did it) wood support and several tiny screws, wing still sagged after breaking in a fall.

the amazing Ace Hardware plastic epoxy

not any noticeable sag at all, see last pic- wing on left

much better, I might just do em all like this, the thrill of folding wings has long since passed

tmanthegreat

Re: The obvious Avenger wing fix works

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:49 pm

Great tips! I had the wing hinge snap about four years ago on my Flight 19 Avenger (same number FT-28 too). Eventually I decided to glue the wings in place and fixed the sag issue, just like you. In retrospect, while I appreciate 21c trying to accurately re-create the Avenger's complex wing folding mechanism, they either should have provided more internal support and robust tabs to hold the wing in the correct shape, or just gone the inaccurate route and made a sturdier hinge, like BBI did with their Hellcat.

And on another note, 2016 marks the 10th anniversary of the release of the 21c Avenger :D We waited two years for 21c to develop them after their initial 2004 announcement, then had the anticipation of the preorders only for them to show up at Walmart for a then expensive $75... And they had sagging wings and missing screw caps :x I remember driving all over my area in Central California coming up empty handed, only to find them while out on a road trip. I never, ever, saw the Avengers at any of the Walmarts in my area. Eventually my local Hobbytown USA store got some in, so it wasn't completely a lost cause...

The Avenger was one of 21c's most ambitious 1/18 scale efforts, but it suffered a lot of QC problems that at least to me, kept it from being one of the best 1:18 planes ever made... Still, I've got four of them, including one still boxed 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: The obvious Avenger wing fix works

Post by teebird » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:58 pm

I don't have the personal expertise but a 1/18 metal, machined wing fold mechanism that achieves the proper dihedral when locked in flight position would be awesome for the Avenger!!! In my opinion it's only acceptable for display with the wings folded. When the wings are in flight position it just looks like a wounded duck! I bought one off eBay with a wounded wing and haven't done anything with it, maybe it's worth another look after seeing the fixed birds here!