1\18 XD Extreme Detail "Conversion" Airplane

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
yappy
Private First Class
Private First Class

1\18 XD Extreme Detail "Conversion" Airplane

Post by yappy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:41 pm

What do you think if 21st sold a 1/18th XD Extreme Detail "Conversion" Airplane (cowlings, canopies etc) which would allow buyers to build one of many different variants out of the same box. The XD "Conversion" airplane would be sold in the box with a base paint scheme. The aircraft can be built right out of the box or painted to suit the builders need. Seperate decal sheet provided depending on what version will be built. Suggestions include a 1/18 P-38 Lightning XD "Conversion" which would include an interchangeable nose section to build either the P-38 figher version, F-4/ F-5 Photo reconnaissance version or the P-38 Droop-snoot version or a Ju-87 Stuka with interchangeable cowling and canopy to build either the the JU-87B, D or G model (tank buster) with 37mm BK 3.7 anti-tank cannon. Sounds cool anyways. Thanks for all the great posts from everyone.

lsc1002
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by lsc1002 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:11 pm

This is one of the best ideas I have heard. They could do the same thing with ground support vehicles. 21st Century needs to give you a job :D
"Tigers!?.....Where did the Tigers come from!?!"

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:10 am

I definitely agree that this is a great idea. Would also want a conversion kit to turn the Corsair into a later model F4U-4. I think we would need a new engine cowling, 4 blade prop, and revised canopy. Also would like to see something that could make a P-51D into a B model.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:07 am

Great idea but I doubt if it would ever happen.

:(
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:16 pm

While i'd kill for a D model Stuka it would take alot more than a conversion kit to work.
I Tan I Epi Tas

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Cool!

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:33 pm

Best idea I've heard in a long time. This would bridge the gap between model builders and airplane collecters. Start collecting...and build one-ups later. Not one of the released aircraft 21C has set free has less than a dozen variations of a cowl here, a canopy there, tail here, etc....
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:40 pm

I mentioned it before, but how about a 1:18 B-25J with switchable noses, so you could either have the glazed "J" nose or the 75mm of the B-25H? The issue is with the paint scheme, but hey, it would be cool anyways!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Hammerhead 73
Private First Class
Private First Class

B-25J/H

Post by Hammerhead 73 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:43 pm

Ski- That would also satisfy my wished for a bomber! I say we hold out for a B-25... sounds good to me! Later...

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:02 am

Vac-u-form.

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:44 am

This whole idea of "conversion kits" is just too terrific an idea for words.

These kits could be sold by e-trailers or even the 21C fan club. Of course this product would die on Wally's shelves.

Opens up a whole world of having models you would want and 21C just tooling up one version and a couple of "converson kits". It even opens up a decal business to use on our planes and ???

Please don't forget vehicles. Add a few changes and weapons systems (quad .50 cal, mortar, 75mm, 105mm) and you have five different half-tracks. Make a 1/18 M5 Stuart and a few kits and you have a M3A2 or A3 Stuart and use your imagination and a "conversion kit" and you get a M5 Hi Speed Tractor. :)

Produce the duece & a half we want as a basic cargo truck and a "conversion kit" turns it into a wrecker or a maintenance box body. :wink:

WOW, what an idea :? 8)

Ski's idea of a B25 is super. I'd definately add a few B25's to my bunker of basically vehicles, right next to my different versions of the Avenger :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

digger

eh..

Post by digger » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:58 am

MightyMustang wrote:Great idea but I doubt if it would ever happen.

Agreed. Remember as it stands the P-38 is pre-ordering at $65. :shock: What would the conversion version set us back, $95? And the paint would be innaccurate for both versions? I rather the companies do the conversions for us, paint, decals and all. As TTT said it would not be tough to add a Quad .50 to the M3 or similar. Here's to hoping. :) :roll:

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 am

I can see it beter for vehichles than planes too.
Aaron

yappy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yappy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:53 am

Still waiting to see who will be the first company to produce a 1/18th "conversion" airplane. Apologize if this idea is already posted somewhere. Saw an old IMC plastic model kit from the 1/72nd Scale Combat Group Series the other day. Each kit contained several extra battle damaged parts so you could individualize your model. Build it stock or as a Battle Scarred Veteran. Different kits had combination of a damaged wing, rudder, aileron or elevator. The F-105 kit had a damaged wing which showed the exposed wing ribs. Pretty cool. Lots of future 1/18th opportunites here for customizing and detailing. Bought the BBI Corsair from TRU the other day. Nice. BBI has the edge on detail so far. Come on Gents give us some more options for our planes other than repaints.

JimBob55
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Conversion

Post by JimBob55 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:09 pm

Yes, I think this was brought up a long while back... very good idea, I believe. May help the manufacturers sell more.

Minimum could be just a variety of decals. The new Bunker Hill Corsair, for example if offered in just the factory markings, could be marked in any of the carrier markings: Hornet, Essex, Enterprise, etc...

After all, BBi did just that with the Blue Angels F-18 and the National Guard/Reserve F-16s. So this has been done to some degree. And I think that it worked for us and the manufacturers.

The basic color schemes should work for any of the other USAAF or Navy A/C. The upcoming Avenger's Pacific paint would cover a wide range of possiblities, and the Atlantic scheme a few more. The all-blue would only work for Reserve a/c in the -1c version, like four of the five Flight 19 a/c.

I like the more ambitious idea of conversion parts to make a different a/c version. Particularly, the Corsair to make a -4, the P-51 to make a 'B' (as mentioned above) and even the Avenger to make a -3 late war version (would only need a new cowl). Likewise, even the Zero could get a new cowl and exhaust stacks for later versions.

JimBob