Who has the molds?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
bobb428
Sergeant
Sergeant

Who has the molds?

Post by bobb428 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:43 pm

F-14?
F-4?
A-10= destroyed?
AH-1W?
F-15?
SU-27?

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Who has the molds?

Post by flayrah » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:01 pm

It's anyone's guess what happens to any molds (RE: 21st Spitfire), but some companies just destroy them when they decide they're no longer needed. Seems like a lot of money to pay for something just to abandon it in couple of years, but there's probably some write-off or other process where the company might actually make money by destroying property. Before TJ Maxx and Marshalls and Big Lots and other stores we have today, it was common for wholesalers and retailers to destroy finished products rather than release them to market. It makes little sense to me, but that's on a level of business above my pay grade.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:02 am

I know that the 21c AH-1W tooling was destroyed (along with the Spitfires) that happened back while 21c was still in business and was a reason why we only ever got the two Supercobras and four Spitfires. The A-10 we could classify as "lost" since we know it was stolen by Jack Plonka of Skyworks Toys; it's likely been destroyed but we can't confirm that exactly. 21c never had a prototype for their F-4 Phantom, but Admiral Toys did. AT also had prototypes for an A-1 Skyraider and SBD Dauntless, though that really wouldn't be needed now. I would assume that the tooling for the JSI F-14, F-15, and SU-27 may still exist, though it seems likely JSI has put off making those new planes or further incarnations of the F-14. I did once hear rumors from a credible source that there may yet be another F-14 repaint, but there's obviously no proof at this point and I would say the long-gestating FW-190 is far more of a likelihood than another F-14...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

bobb428
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bobb428 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:20 am

Wouldnt it be easy for a company like Merit to copy the existing AH-1W to do new molds? Just curious.

YT

Post by YT » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:20 pm

bobb428 wrote:Wouldnt it be easy for a company like Merit to copy the existing AH-1W to do new molds? Just curious.
Developing a prototype is small potatoes compared to the cost of cutting steel molds. They can run hundreds of thousands of dollars.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton