21st Century Toys "Bunker Hill" Corsair

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:46 pm

I have been pleased with the new 21c website and find it much more fan-friendly and informative than the old website. The product lists do need to be updated with more of the new aircraft and armor, but overall the site is lightyears ahead of where the old one was :)

To get back on topic, although we are getting yet another repaint of the 21c Corsair (lets see, we're now at 8) this is one of the better-looking planes, IMHO. It does resemble the "Korean" paintscheme with the overall blue and the yellow cowling, but its a cool looking scheme nonetheless!

I guess with the repaints, it keeps planes coming to new people entering the hobby who might otherwise have to rely on ebay to get a Corsair or P-38 when most others have sold out elsewhere.

It also means TKO will need a bigger house to fit all his repaints, since he collects one each of every 21c XD aircraft :lol:

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:50 pm

I never thought I'd see so much groaning and moaning over a new paint scheme. :roll: IMO, the paint schemes keep getting better and better.

Let's see, the only 21st Corsair readily available on the market is the revised Kepford, which may only be found at wm and a few places online. Thus, there is a market for Corsairs. (Just ask BBI, who no-doubt also has some Corsair repaints coming down the pike.)

If 21st can produce a plane with an old mold that sells I'm not going to blame them for it. In fact, if my $$$ was on the line, I'd be making repaints until I broke the mold.

digger

I don't care about planes really....

Post by digger » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:09 pm

spect_spidey wrote:Where is the new armor? Were are the new figures? ....Figures, where are they? We have 3 series of USMC. Supposedly 2 series of Japanese, which can't seem to be found anywhere. Why no releases of any of the prototype figures we have seen? Why have they not produced any new Germans or U.S. with better articulation or at least re-released the old ones with different paint schemes or accessories?
This year we saw one new tank from 21st - the Panzer IV, and NO WWII ARMOR from any other company.. 21st also repainted a few pieces of armor - the halftracks, the Command Car, the RC Panzer... Any WWII armor repaints from another company? (No). 21st is the only company that makes WWII armor, so how could you knock them for not making more? It is clearly not a big seller if NOBODY else is making it...

The S1 USMC only came out this year, and the Japanese only came out this year. 13 new sculpts in both axis & allies - no other company gave us that. I love the new bbi guys but there are 7 sculpts, no enemies, and you can't find them for love or money. 21st re-did Paras (as MM), re-released paras (as pack-ins), repainted USMC, Sahara guys...We all want series 1 US/Germans but with removable helmets, better uniforms, better articulation, etc....so basically, NEW FIGURES. And I think we will get it with time. Just as this year brought new sculpts next year will too. :wink:

21st has a ton of 1/32, there is 1:144, 1/6 vehicles.... everyone wants something. I am an 1:18 armor guy too, but we can't get mad at 21st - nobody else makes it! All the "armor guys" who don't have the Pnzr IV because they are waiting for side skirts....OK :roll: ....that is why there isn't more armor. :wink:

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:40 pm

True dat.......
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:45 pm

I like the new paint scheme and love repaints. I like new planes as well. We all have our likes and dislikes. This topic is getting old. :?

JimBob55
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Hedrick Corsair

Post by JimBob55 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:51 pm

Yes, another repaint. But when I think about it, the manufacturer can provide more versions/choices without making a whole new model. I think it is smart on their part; and must work, if they keep doing it.

If you consider all the Corsair repaints, I don't think it would bother most people if they came out all at once, so we can choose/purchase only our favorites. But when they come out one at a time (and not knowing what is next) some of us may buy more than we really would like in hindsight. (Like me :?) Now that the (IMHO, Boyington, new Kepford, and now the Hedrick) really well-done 21C Corsairs are offered, I really would have passed on the checkerboard and Brit Corsair I got early on. Also, I believe that the repaints aren't hurting the development of new A/C, like the Avenger. Also, I appreciate to know ahead of time what versions 21C is planning for the Avenger; while I would like to buy all, I may choose my favorite to start with.

I actually was working on a custom repaint with this very paint scheme and A/C number! Even had some great custom decals done by Lair! (Bummer!) Well, I snoozed, I loose! I learned a bit during my research (which is half the fun for me!), and yes, MightyMustang, Hedrick was a squadron mate of Kepford with Vf-17. Hedrick was aboard the Bunker Hill in May 1945 when it was turned into an inferno from two bomb hits, and he barely escaped with his life.

About this new one, boy, I think 21C is doing a great job on the repaint...it is absolutely gorgeous!! Best detail yet for a 21C Corsair!! I'll get one!

Regards,
JimBob

PS. I'll put something on the reference page about the late war Navy markings.

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: I don't care about planes really....

Post by spect_spidey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:37 pm

This year we saw one new tank from 21st - the Panzer IV, and NO WWII ARMOR from any other company.. 21st also repainted a few pieces of armor - the halftracks, the Command Car, the RC Panzer... Any WWII armor repaints from another company? (No). 21st is the only company that makes WWII armor, so how could you knock them for not making more? It is clearly not a big seller if NOBODY else is making it...

The S1 USMC only came out this year, and the Japanese only came out this year. 13 new sculpts in both axis & allies - no other company gave us that. I love the new bbi guys but there are 7 sculpts, no enemies, and you can't find them for love or money. 21st re-did Paras (as MM), re-released paras (as pack-ins), repainted USMC, Sahara guys...We all want series 1 US/Germans but with removable helmets, better uniforms, better articulation, etc....so basically, NEW FIGURES. And I think we will get it with time. Just as this year brought new sculpts next year will too. :wink:

Digger, you definitely make some valid points. All that you say is true, my point on this subject was merely asking were the armor and figures are at? I don't see these items at any of the 3 Walmarts fairly close to me and the Walmart topic here rarely mentions any armor finds. Yet I see planes restocked all the time and forum members finding planes very frequently. When I look for armor or figures I don't see any of these items you mention. Not even a hint that they have been there (other than the USMC figures) except once when I went to a Walmart 30 miles from my house. They did have a Command Car with two paras. But I gotta say the paras looked like subpar construction. All the joints were falling apart from each other and the plastic appeared to be lower quality. The figures looked like the horrible M113 figures from the Motorworks release. I guess I should of worded it more like this:
Why is 21st Century not repainting or re-releasing things like MB3, Kubelwagon, M3A3, M48A3, and M2 Bradley?

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:03 pm

I think it's funny that most everyone is griping about repaints, but what some people on here don't seem to understand is that there is a whole, big, wide world out there that buys XD planes and could care less what this forum thinks, says or does.. :roll:

Let me ask you this, when was the last time you saw a Corsair in Walmart??? I have NEVER seen one....................................... :oops:

I think there are MANY collectors out there that haven't seen a Corsair yet and are eagerly awating one.. I could honestly care less if 21st makes another dozen Corsairs if it gets me the planes that I want in the long run.. :wink:

The last thing I have to say is:

Thanks for the Bunker Hill 21st and thanks for all you do!!!! So when can we expect to see it in stores??? :D

And yes Aferg.... I know where I am.... :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:17 pm

As I've said, the Forum Masters rise up and put us pions in our place
to tell us what imbeciles we are because we dont love repaints.

BTW, you could find them at Walmart if all the scalpers didn't get them first to sell on ebay! :wink: Maybe we should be really be thanking the scalpers for buying all those repaints too!

Anyway, my gripe isnt really with repaints as much as it is lack of good info.

OK Masters, slam me on the info comments too!

You guys are hilarious. If I say tomato, you say................. :P

digger

oh, distribution woes....we all have that....

Post by digger » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:10 am

I guess I should of worded it more like this: Why is 21st Century not repainting or re-releasing things like MB3, Kubelwagon, M3A3, M48A3, and M2 Bradley?
Spect, I realize your beef is with distribution, not product. The M3A3 was re-released twice this year - in winter and new OD w/ Brown. The M2 was repainted and nobody bought it. You could still get the S1 M2 online after 3 years! I agree we want the Kubel and M48 though....

Another problem and why you never "see" armor sightings is that people do not post the recon. Someone will say weeks later, "oh yea - I saw that at WM last week..." but would never post asap. Our recon department is slipping - we have over 600 members and nobody has the new bbi weapons sets? No pics? We didn't use to be all about gimme, gimme, gimme....
As I've said, the Forum Masters rise up and put us pions in our place to tell us what imbeciles we are because we dont love repaints.
Who do you mean? Who "rised up" and called you an imbecile? No place for that here, but if you do post people might respond, this is not an online diary :wink:
My main concern is that 21st is, and always has been, one of the most secretive, closed, and un-communicative companies I have ever encountered.
It is all relative. One company only announces planes that are on the way here, won't admit to the upcoming releases, and has never shown a prototype. The one you call "secretive" I could tell you right now there will be a new P-51 and then a new Avenger. There will be a Legends Corair and then a 262, F-86 & MiG, all of which is slated for next year. Could you tell me bbi's 2006 line up of planes?
Take a step back and note what Jason of Admiral said - the companies HAVE to be secretive. Secretive is all relative.... :wink:

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:14 am

As I've said, when some of us post, we are "whining" and yet when a select few post, it is somehow gospel. No problem though, lets me know who's who. :lol:

Now, back to the real world..... 8)

digger

huh?

Post by digger » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:18 am

CW4USARMY wrote:As I've said, when some of us post, we are "whining" and yet when a select few post, it is somehow gospel. No problem though, lets me know who's who. :lol:
Tell me then, who is who? I never got the feeling there was a hierarchy - it's a shame you feel that way. Just b/c BoomBoom said we are whiners? Don't let him get to you :P

Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:34 pm

I don't have a problem with additional repaints, as long as it is a plane that sells. The 'Bunker' Corsair should sell very well. It is a fabulous paint job on plane that is a favorite with many. I do have a beef though with all the repaints of FW190D-9s that are still clogging the shelves of my local Walmarts.
I would also REALLY like to see 21C improve not only the paint work but the details as well. How about a proper antenna mast/line setup on this Corsair, or a little more cockpit detail, and flaps??? These kinds of small changes shouldn't break the bank and it would certainly give the plane more sex appeal with the collectors and could be the deciding factor between a 'Buy' or 'Pass'. Heck, it might even bring it up to the BBI Corsair's level. As I said, the 'Bunker' paint scheme is an awesome choice and 21C did a nice job on the Corsair in the photos, but please continue updating the rest of the plane!
As for communication, it could be better. I really appreciate TKO's willingness to serve as a means of making info available to us and for his work on the fan site. Thank you. My issue is that the updates are too little and too far between. Teasers abound to the point of frustration (e.g. the alien thing, the Zero, the Legends Line, etc.). It drives you nuts because you get the teaser and then... nothing. And while TKO does his best at keeping us informed, it is not like having a Mike from BBI on the board where you get almost instant answers to your questions -- even if it is a "Wait and see."
So I guess I agree with some of the posted comments and not so much with others but at least I hope I have given some food for thought. I've been collecting XD for a long time and it is my hope that they thrive and continue to improve the breed.

Rogo

digger

well,

Post by digger » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:15 pm

the alien thing
:lol: I told you guys not to read too much into that alien post, that you'd just set yourself up for dissappointment. :lol:
it is not like having a Mike from BBI on the board where you get almost instant answers to your questions

Rogo, I don't think Mike has posted in about a month. :?

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: oh, distribution woes....we all have that....

Post by flayrah » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:37 pm

My main concern is that 21st is, and always has been, one of the most secretive, closed, and un-communicative companies I have ever encountered.
It is all relative. One company only announces planes that are on the way here, won't admit to the upcoming releases, and has never shown a prototype. The one you call "secretive" I could tell you right now there will be a new P-51 and then a new Avenger. There will be a Legends Corair and then a 262, F-86 & MiG, all of which is slated for next year. Could you tell me bbi's 2006 line up of planes?
But the main thrust of my post was not that 21st or any company fails to announce new products, it's that 21st, to date, has many times failed to follow through on their announcements - and in doing so, is loosing potential customer and sales. How long have we been expecting the Avenger, and rather than stating clear, factual information about the process and status - as Jason at Admiral recently has - we get fuzzy photos of who-knows-what, and hints of what "might be coming". The Sahara series - movie is long gone from theatres, and where are the products? Zero? Haven't heard a word about that in months. Me262, I'd totally forgotten about as that was announced a couple of years ago, a mock-up shown, then never surfaced again. F-86 and MiG? No word since the F-104 came out, so what's the status? It's great that 21st has plans to produce many different and exciting products in the future, but I'd just appreciate useful information, and I stand by my position that the attitude 21st has taken, since day 1 of the companies start, is not in the customers best interest, or ultimately, in their own interest. I'm not here to knock 21st, I simply don't understand why, by many standards, they choose to make the customer work for the "privilege" to purchase their products. Of course, 21st has reportedly been on the edge of financial disaster two or three times, continues to pull back at the last moment, and yet only slightly changes their business methods each time, so I guess they know what they are doing! :roll:

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:19 pm

21st's business practices aside, I personally am not interested at the Bunker Hill version. I'm not gonna fill up valuable space with repaints of the same aircraft. I'd rather fill up my room with different planes.

If they wanted to do a repaint of a late war corsair, they should have done so earlier, instead of putting out the inaccurate "Korean" war scheme, or the obsecure RAF paint job first.

Plus, isn't 21st releasing another corsair in the Legends series, which supposedly have new tooling? So I'll wait and see the Legends series first.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:56 pm

The Legends Series Boying Corsair is still very much a real project. I feel I must restate and reset expectations however...

The Bunker Hill Corsair is finishing up first simply because it is ready and only requires new paint.

The Legends series Corsair was ready but shifts in the market led to holding it back for some additional "accessories" that required new tooling patterns. Including the much anticipated ground crew figures. As to the mold of the Corsair... It was never stated that it would be re-tooled. IT will be the same mold that has existed. However a new level of paint and weathering is promised to be part of the appeal of this new set in addtion to its expanded ground crew and other goodies.

I hope you guys find this intel useful and timely! :lol:

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:28 pm

lol, very timely

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:07 pm

toyktdlgh-

Dude now you got me laughing!!!- :lol:

Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:14 pm

TKO,
I hate to rehash my prior post, but when I hear that only "a new level of paint and weathering will be applied," I have to ask why? Why can't 21C make the little improvements that would turn a good model into a great one. I'm not talking about retooling a fuselage, just gluing on a few items during production to improve the detail would help. The competition has upped the ante with "Marine's Dream," so how about 21C match or exceed. I would certainly expect more than paint work for something marketed as a "Legends" collectors line. Like many others, the size of these aircraft require that I hang them from the ceiling, so a ground crew is of little value (Unless I make them all wing-walkers).
I don't want to come across as 'bashing' the 21C Corsair, my S1 Kepford is still a favorite in my collection, but new paint alone is not enough to prompt me to buy another. A few new added details though would sway that decision. Like Emeril says... "Let's kick it up a notch!"

Rogo

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:44 pm

Good questions and yes on the surface they sound easy, cheap and quick to do. Modifications could mean new wings, elevators and rudder which would mean new fuselage. I think as others might have already hit on the reason why there are no tooling improvents to the Older Corsair mold... 21st would rather work on a new airplane all together. The Corsair has been a good staple airplane for them and they bring it out as needed to offer a repaint when the market has been without one for a while.

As you said they certainly could do it if they wanted. I just think they want to do something new with the investment needed. I am curious about the new paint. In my opinion the paint has been getting better and better. I am anxious to see what a Legends paint scheme will look like in the end. It could be pretty darn cool? I guess we will have to see.

As for Crew and "accessories"... I realize many people hang the planes and thus might not see a use for new figures and "accessories". My guess is that even as I am typing this others are already in disagreement with you about not seeing value in the extra ground pieces. Don't take offence by that. Everyone just has an opinion and thats ok.

I guess a healthy way to look at is like this... Nobody has done a Legends line with ground crew yet. So think of that as a new chanel on TV. I would rather have a new chanel and have the option to not watch it than simply follow suit with competition and deliver the same thing? All the while new funds go to yet another new project in the works. -just my 2 cents.

I do agree that the Kepford is my favorite. A good friend got me that one :wink:
the Bunker hill is cool and it will be a very close second!

Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:54 am

Thanks TKO, I appreciate hearing your opinions on this.

Rogo

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:58 pm

No problem Rogo! -Happy to lend any insights I can.

JimBob55
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

VF-84 Corsair

Post by JimBob55 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:54 am

I'm afraid that the new Bunker Hill Corsair may be my favorite :D. It is the first true (of both 21C and BBI) depiction of a WW2 US carrier-based airplane...(if it is available before the Avenger :wink:) All the others were land-based Navy or Marine Corsairs. Although VF-17 (Kepford) flew off a carrier for delivery only. The Korean War version was carrier based although there were some inaccuracies in the paint/version combination. The Brit Corsair was carrier-based.

I'm looking forward to the ground crews; hopefully they will offer the carrier deck crew as well. I hope they can offer the figures separately to outfit A/C already in our possession, if we so desire.

JimBob