POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:18 pm

Oh, no. Not this thread... 2009 all over again :roll:

I regret posting the link to it in the other new Merit releases thread, but that one member seemed to have no idea the JSI F-14 had ever existed when its release caused a near meltdown among some members on this board nearly 5 years ago.

The JSI F-14 came practically out of nowhere in late 2009, built up a lot of expectations in the months before it was released, and then caused a lot of disappointment. It was coming during a time of uncertainty in the 1:18 scale hobby in the year or so after 21c had folded, BBI was apparently non-existent for the moment, and the few other items JSI had previously released had been repaints of repaints of 21c models - but for a higher price. Then comes the F-14 - a big and popular jet and something most collectors would never have dreamed of seeing.

But then after all that hope and anticipation, it comes with this very poor spotted weathering, broken pieces and other QC issues. Add to that the fact that it cost over $200, which made it one of the most expensive new 1:18 models to that date. For a collector population still reeling from their loss of $40 planes at Wal Mart and many of them without modeling skills, it was a kicker to pay a high price and get a poor product in return.

At the same time as the 48-page complaint thread, there was also another thread with a completely different character where members shared ideas on how to "de-spot" the F-14 and repaint it. From there, the whole cottage industry with the metal landing gear, afterburner parts, resin pilot figures, etc. sprang up - so the F-14's faults did in fact spur quite a bit of creativity and sharing that reflected the best aspects of this hobby :D

For the record, my S1 JSI F-14 came with spots, but no other issues. I was able to successfully "de-spot" it with knowledge gained on this board. I made custom pilots for it until BBI released the loose version of their US Navy pilot figure in 2012. Mine sat for a year on its original landing gear, which never broke, until I decided to hang it. It still hangs to this day, looking big and impressive 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Berkut
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Berkut » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:33 pm

Still want the Knights version with lights.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:59 am

I still get a chuckle from the: "Spots are part of the weathering process" bit on Merit's site back in 2009 when showing the factory photos of the Spotcat being assembled in China. :lol:

We can all laugh about it now, but man, that was a very heated time in 1:18 collecting and yeah, I poked the hornets nest a good bit :wink:

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Yeah, the spots had me a bit disappointed too but I soon got over it once I received my first one in the mail. Now I have three of them hanging in my office and couldn't be any prouder. The first two I repainted and then properly weathered a bit to cover over the spots. This was all thanks in part to the incredible wealth of information that was shared here on this site by its staff of knowledgeable and talented members. The third was their Black Knights second edition release which was perfect so I left it as is. The way I see it if it weren't for the valiant efforts of Merit and JSI I would be still staring to this day at the photos of the F-14 model over at the HPH website that go for about 10 grand a piece only to wish I had the money to buy just one.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 pm

Is JSI going to release any more F-14 repaints?

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:21 am

If I recall correctly Jim at Merit did say something earlier about another repaint following the previous Black Knights & Jolly Roger schemes but its unclear when or if we will ever see another release. I think either the VFA-31 Tomcatters or VFA-14 Tophatters were tossed around a bit as being one of the likely choices.

sbd
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by sbd » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm

BEEAVISION

Since JSI didn't release the Sundowners or any new F-14 in 2013, I was wondering if the F-14 has bitten the dust for future releases.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Your guess is as good as mine. Jim at Merit may have an answer however I'm assuming the final decision primarily rests on JS International.