News on bbi Sherman?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
cmelt27
Corporal
Corporal

Markings

Post by cmelt27 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:02 pm

Thanks shorty--I like to know a little about the history. Even if its from a model. I was most curious about whether BBI made up some of the markings. I just remember being turned off by the name "Cougar Fireball" on the original F-18.

Btw centone, I stared at the Sherman the rest of the day at work-- it sat on my desk in the box taunting me. I didn't take it out of the box for fear that my coworkers would start playing with it before I got the chance to. :lol:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:27 pm

well that model pic link you posted answers the paint job question. To quote the model maker:

"The paint job was meant to represent a very worn winter scheme."

and there you have it...

toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:41 pm

Well lablksmith, what you can see in the photos is all you get. Still, I’m happy because it's more than what came with my 21c Sherman. Glad to see the photos have helped. :D

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:55 pm

toyktdlgh wrote:the thighs could use a pivot point.
Good point, that could be a future improvement. My "complaint" is I wish bbi would use flesh colored plastic for heads and hands, rather than paint. All 21st with flesh-colored look far superior to their flesh-painted figures, IMO.

macvsog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by macvsog » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:58 pm

great point flay! wow!

That is strange. does anyone know if we can head and hand swap on this new tanker? I know we can't put 21st pieces on bbi bodies with teh old figures, but maybe now?

-mike-

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:10 pm

I just popped my tankers head and hands off and put a different bbi head and some green gloved hands on. They swapped out ok. As for 21c heads and hands it’s been my experience that they are a little larger than the bbi parts. I added a photo to the bbi Sherman folder showing the swap. I will probably put the old head back on but it dose open up some possibilities.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Couple of things.

Post by grockwood » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:11 pm

For the most part I really like what I have seen of the new BBI Sherman. One error caught my eye though. The inside of the engine grill/hatch should have armoured bullet deflectors to protect the engine from small arms fire. Wouldn't be hard to make though. Another minor item is the vision blokes on the commanders coupla need painting or something. Very noticable on this large scale. Otherwise can't wait to get one for myself. Here is link to a photo of the engine and defletors:

http://members.aol.com/tankland/images/m4e1fl.jpg

digger

M4

Post by digger » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:05 pm

Actually the paint job is fantastic for a production piece. It is practically identical to the image on the Tamiya Box that was clearly the inspiration (and model) for this tank.

That said, I like the paint scheme on the new 21st Sherman better - not a better job per se, but just a more standard and dynamic paint scheme. It is indeed a brownish tint, and to the lay observer it is nowhere near green. The tools on it are painted perfectly as well.

Winter is cool, but limited. However, it is safe to say we'll get a repaint on the bbi Sherman eventually - they have 5 humvees, 3 hornets, 2 LBs, BHs...etc....they know the drill on how to recoup production costs.

shorty
Corporal
Corporal

Post by shorty » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:48 am

got my bbi tank today from bad cat (not bad, 5 days to ship across the border).

the barrell of the 105 mm gun comes off (well at on mine anyways, maybe they forgot to glue it?), treads run really well, it does come with 4 ammo boxes, 2 105 mm shelll crates with 2 105 mm shells in each crate, a grease gun, binoculars, and a fuell tank. the listed items are the only items not glued onto the hull; the rest are glued.

teh commander is very nicely sculpted but it doesn't fit very well into the hatches due to the bulding water bottle that prevents him from sticking completely into the turrent. the hull hatches do not seem to stay up properly as they do not bend all the way open. the shell ejection hatch on the turrent side does not open. engine detail is very very nice. bow machine gun does not rotate like those on the 21st cent one. the 50 cal gun is made if soft plastic, softer than that of the 21st cent one, however, the hull is made if high quality hard plastic (feels almost like die cast but it's plastic).

the tank looks nice next to the 21st cent sherman, they are scaled pretty much the same (which is a relief). overall for 30 bucks it's a definete piece to have to compliment your alreardy small allied armor.

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

Heavy subject:

Post by lablksmith » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:05 pm

I was curious so I got my mail scale out and measured the weight of the Shermans. The original issue weighed in @ 1.313 lbs. The diecast Shermen was an even 2 lbs. and the new BBi came in @ 1.5lbs.

My critique of the BBi Sherman comes with a good deal of relief that it is perfectly compatible with the 21st issue. The fifty cal yoke has some problems, shell ejection door does not open but overall I think its just fantastic. I am a little afraid that BBi may reissue the Tiger and Panther. I have tigers coming out of my ears now and I know I will just have to buy what ever comes out. O well its a tough job but...

digger

M4

Post by digger » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:42 pm

Got mine today - the paint job is great. Shame it's another Sherman....
but anyway, the usual problem - the packaging damages the piece. The plastic mold the figure sits in scratches the tank's side, causing noticeable white streaks. I'm not too serious about picking the perfect paint job, or any of that, but it does piss me off when a brand new product is already messed up before I take it out of the box.

Also, Recon Humvee on the back of the box & it looks sweet.

shorty
Corporal
Corporal

Post by shorty » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:28 pm

all the models and pictures i've seen of this tank shows it in winter camo. was it only used during the battle of the bulge or something?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:53 pm

i find i have a tough time telling the 105's apart from the 75mm armed Shermans, unless i really look at a picture hard.

I am ashamed to say it.. :oops:

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:42 am

Opened mine lst night. Very nice piece - a big step above the 21C version. Has a lot more heft to it, and I love the accessible engine compartment. And the 105 gun looks a heck of a more formidable than that wimpy looking gun on the 21C version.

Don't care for the face on the figure, but I'll just change out the head (nice that the helmet comes off!). Overall, a very good deal at around $30. I'd love to see some German armor (something other than a Tiger I) from bbi.

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by binder001 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:40 am

"all the models and pictures i've seen of this tank shows it in winter camo. was it only used during the battle of the bulge or something?"

No the M4A3 with 105mm howitzer came into the European Theater in the fall of 1944 (the M4 with 105 came in just after DDay). Re: the snow camo - that's actually from January 1945. Few vehicles were whitewashed during the defensive pahse of the battle (16DEC44-early JAN45). Everybody was too busy stopping the German offensive. Most of the snow camo jobs were done prior to the counter offensive.

So no, the M4A3/105H served mostly in OD, its just that many modelers find the snow camouflage a fun scheme to paint.

By the way, the 105's were assigned to the Tank Battalion Assault Gun Platoon -part of Bn HQ company, later one was added to each company HQ section, making a total of six howitzer tanks to each tank battalion. Sometimes the company 105's were grouped with the assault gun platoon to make a six-gun battery.

Looking forward to getting one of these toys for my collection.

shorty
Corporal
Corporal

Post by shorty » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:07 pm

21st cent and bbi seem to both like the 'HQ' companies for all their vehicles, the halftrack, jeep, and command cars all have the 'HQ' on it

i wonder if bbi will have a OD repaint version?

CW4USARMY

Nice!

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:41 pm

I received my BBi Sherman today and must agree with previous posts that this is a great Tank. I only wish BBI could have put this much attention to detail and paint with their modern M1 Tank. With this level of competition, we should see some really cool stuff in 2005 from both BBi and 21st! :D

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:53 pm

G'day Shorty

In the case of the BBI sherman, HQ company markings would be the most appropriate as I believe that majority of 105's were attached to HQ companies as fire-support units.

As for the others well who knows, 21stCT for example used HQ markings on there 1/6th Jeep also.
Last edited by Spudkopf on Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

shorty
Corporal
Corporal

Post by shorty » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:23 pm

ah i see, thanx for the input on the HQ thing.

would be cool if we could transplant the 21st cent gun mantle and gun onto the bbi one to have a 75 mm version of the sherman

macvsog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by macvsog » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:16 pm

There's nothing wrong with HQ company! I was in HQ company (101st) in Vietnam, we had the biggest baddest toys and saw the most action... also lost the most guys.

I think HQ gets a bad image just became of the name. People think it is all officers who sit around and tell the other companies what to do, but it is exactly the opposite of this. Its grunts who go in first and kick a**!

of course that was a different war, but it warms the heart to see the old HQ on armor!

-mike-

shorty
Corporal
Corporal

Post by shorty » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:37 pm

oh no don't get me wrong, i have nothing against HQ, it's just interesting to see most of the 21st stuff with HQ on it and now bbi. someone better make a m10 soon.

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

I likes it...

Post by lablksmith » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:54 pm

I really, really like the ankle joint on the BBi tanker. It really gives a great note of realism to the figure. The thigh joint would have been nice but the ankle was well done. My 2 cents.

digger

Agreed

Post by digger » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:57 am

That ankle joint is awesome (think 1st issue bbi guys for those of you who don't have the tanker). I saw that joint on some of the tf pics of the new bbi guys which is great. The arm articulation is perfect too - plenty of range w/o losing detail. Thumbs up on new bbi WWII figures.

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:52 am

Now you guys have done it! I've got to go and get one of these Shermans!

A 1/18 Stuart would be terrific. too.

Mike