New to 1/18

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Apache26
Corporal
Corporal

New to 1/18

Post by Apache26 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:32 pm

I wanted to say hello. I came across this board looking for info on 1/18 customs. Years ago I had the full line of 21st Vietnam figures and a Huey gunship, but due to my disappointment in the figure articulation I got rid of them and stuck with 1/6. When 21st was selling their 1/18 platoon and updated Vietnam line, I scorned them like any good 1/6 enthusiast. Well, now I'm back to 1/18 and I wish I had been wiser. A couple months ago I got a wild hair to buy one of the many M-48's floating around and I decided to dump 1/6. I can buy a whole platoon of men and a vehicle for the cost of one 1/6 figure, and I can use long neglected scale model skills to boot.

I have a couple questions. Where can I get custom 1/18 decals for a decent price? Also, does anyone have any 21st Huey pilots they want to sell?

Additionally, I'm a three tour Iraq veteran in the Army infantry. I was mechanized with 2-8 Infantry, 2-7 CAV and 3-8 CAV. So if anyone wants reference help with their Bradleys or even Abrams, I'd be happy to assist.

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: New to 1/18

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Welcome.

Unfortunately, as a new guy, you probably won't get too many offers to sell you pilots as you have a 6-month waiting period before you can buy. sell or trade on this forum.

Also, unless someone steps up to the plate, the only custom decal maker here I know of is on his last printer and when it goes, so do the custom decals. His name is Jackson; you can ask him what the deal is at the moment but I honestly don't his work load.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Thank you for your service and for joining up at SSHQ. :D

Jackson does really great work. If his printer is broken or backlogged, there is a decal printing company in Germany called Peddinghaus. I've had good luck with them. They have a lot of sheets already created for different scales, some in 1:18 and 1:16. He will also take sheets not in 1:18 scale, say 1:48, and rescale them for you sometimes if you can tell him how big they should be in mm.
http://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/

The site is in German, but you can view it in English using Google Translate.
http://translate.google.com

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Welcome!

Your best bet to find Vietnam Huey pilots is likely eBay until you've been an active member here for 6 months. Even then, they are very expensive for a single figure, often being around $45 or more. Its very rare to find board members that are selling the Huey figures as well. They just don't come up that often... The Vietnam Huey pilots are some of the most rare among the XD figures given that they only came with the helicopters and were never produced carded form like the 21c WWII pilots. You may have better luck tracking down the BBI helicopter pilots, though those are in modern gear.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Happy Veteran's Day :!: :!:

Thank you for keeping us all safe!

Best to you and all the other Vets on this site.

We owe you all a lot :!:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Apache26
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Apache26 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely have to hit up Jackson. As for the pilots, it was dumb of me not to realize that there would be a requirement to meet before I tried to buy or sell. Most boards like these do. That's my mistake.

I'll have to troll Ebay for the pilots. I did notice one seller that has had one up for $45 for some time now. I'm not yet ready to pay that much for 3 3/4 inches of plastic soldier.

Apache26
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Apache26 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:25 pm

grunt1 wrote:Thank you for your service and for joining up at SSHQ. :D

Jackson does really great work. If his printer is broken or backlogged, there is a decal printing company in Germany called Peddinghaus. I've had good luck with them. They have a lot of sheets already created for different scales, some in 1:18 and 1:16. He will also take sheets not in 1:18 scale, say 1:48, and rescale them for you sometimes if you can tell him how big they should be in mm.
http://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/

The site is in German, but you can view it in English using Google Translate.
http://translate.google.com
How much does Peddinghaus charge for a custom sheet of rescaled decals?

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:45 am

you might try the power team little bird its like $17.00at the dollar store the pilot is close and doesn' t look to bad.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:17 am

Welcome aboard !!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller