1/6 DML Sherman

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: 1/6 DML Sherman

Post by ram04 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Well now we know who turned all those wrenchs :lol:, good for her, got to give you a hard time.

Jim

CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by CW4USARMY » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 am

Completed mine this weekend. Not too bad. All the holes lined up with the exception of the right front, so I decided just to ignore and not install as it is hidden on the underside anyway. Really looks great, but it does need some markings. Anyone here going to make decals or something? Especially a Star? :wink:

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:01 am

CW4USARMY, thats funny, I had to leave that screw out also, there was no way it would even get close, TTT let us know if yours lines up.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:24 am

For stars, I have used "PATCHES OF PRIDE" before. Quality stuff. They have all kinds of different decals.

http://www.patchesofpride.com/pages2/ba ... ecals.html

On 1/6 sites there are a few threads about making you own but I like the POP.

Letters would be standard stuff in hobby stores, (Michaels, AC Moore)pick your size, letters on the tank are all Helvicta style, I believe.

BTW - Chief.. My test fit of the hull also fit great except for one corner. Same as you, it's on the bottom so I'll leave it. Nobody will see it. Nobody will know, except us, and I ain't talking.

BTW2 - Ram... I was an active military vehicle collector and restorer. For mechanical stuff, I was a "tinkerer". Army manuals were easy to follow, plenty of diagrams with comments like "take part B and attach it to part C, but not too tight". My two sons started with me, and quickly passed me as mechanics. Both are always doing something. My "Big Guy" is a heavy truck mechanical supervisor. They were available to maintain my vehicles (rebuild engines, trannies etc.). They have my last two vehicles now. After my stroke, my right side is not 100% and I don't trust me driving standard so, that is why they have my last two vehicles, the rest I sold. That leaves me with limited right hand use. That is why, I usually buy Pickel's great stuff assembled. Anyway, I'll put away the violin now get back to my poor pathetic attempt at building a tank... 8)

Mrs. TTT is a painter and furniture restorer, always has been, she paints anything. She'll paint me if I spend too much time in one spot. :wink:
She loves detail work so it was a natural to paint my 1/16 tankers, so any detail work she will tackle.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 am

Never doubted your ability :D, I've seen your 1:1 toys 8), you don't play with them, if you can't turn a wrench, just had to gig you alittle :lol:.

Glad to hear yours did'nt line up either, not that I wished you bad luck, just that now it seems they all are off, at least thats what I'm hearing.

When the wife, oops, ah, you get it put together, throw some pictures our way.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:37 pm

It is worse than not lining up. Sunday, I test fitted the top and bottom of the hull and put in a few screws, then said, "this is going good" so I finished joining the top and bottom. OK, I look at the instructions to go to the next step, attaching the boggies........ and I'm looking at where the boggies get screwed in...... and I realize the boggies go on before the top and bottom go together. So, 12 tiny screws have to come out.... AAARRRRGH.

Boggies going in now. Only one little tiny screw lost overboard so far. Lucky, I kept all those 1/18 packing screws. :roll:

The DID 65 pound metal SdKfz 251 was much easier, just open the box and everything is there, all set to go varoom on the floor.

BTW - On your PM question on the 1/6 Command Car. Prices are out of sight on the 21C CC, just keep looking for a "played with" one which pops up every now and then reasonably priced. I had 6 three years ago, all priced at clearance. Sold them all except one NIB, which is for me. As soon as I get some room, it will be pulled down and put on display. A guy just had one with two Stuarts and a cannon sold as a group. Don't remember what they went for but if I wanted one, I'd buy the group and sell what you don't need and end up the CC for free. Trouble? sure, but you get the CC for free.... 8)

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Well,well,well, even the best mechanics have there day, okay, I got to fess up, I did the same thing :oops:.

In all fairness the instructions suck and for being pre-built, well, apparently Dragon has a different meaning there also.

Its still a awesome model and I'm glad I got it, now that pickle is throwing the T- II thing out there, looks like I got to save again :wink:

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks TTT, their stars look great. I'm going to order this week and give them a try.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 pm

Pictures please, I mean I have one and know what they look like, just would like to see yours, boy, that did'nt sound right :lol:, DRAGON SHERMAN TANK, thats what I'd like to see.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:17 am

Patience Grasshopper, and all will come to you. :P

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 pm

TTT,

Hows those fingers holding up?, DML got us on this one, wish now I'd taken pictures of the end of my fingers, I even found some thin gloves at the end to use, next time they advertise full built, they better mean it.

Jim

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Mrs. TTT is doing the last of the links now. If she finishes today I'll have pics tomorrow.

I'm up in the air about using stars on my tank. Later in Europe, the stars were painted out so nothing was visible except the serial number and the tanks name.

At this point, I'm missing two parts, lost overboard. I'm sure I will find them after my stuff is put back in order.

I ordered some stuff for the tank but haven't received them yet, maybe tomorrow.

TTT

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:29 pm

OK, here is the finished Sherman. Got a little busy with moving stuff around but I think I got everything in the right place. Four pieces went overboard and had to move my workbench, found a couple under a halftrack, one inside a Scout Car and one inside my T-34 turret. One turret piece is still among the missing. Anyway, LMK what you think....

TTT

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Something seems amiss...

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:35 pm

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:Something seems amiss...
Yeah that shovel seems out of place.

Hope it works out Big T!

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Lend lease hulls... True story bro!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:37 pm

OPPPPS.

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Well, I had problems with the assembly on mine, but it seems yours were worse :lol:

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Well, I'm done with the assembly of mine. Two left over pieces (they look like wire guards for lights, but mine all seem to be in place) and one tiny piece lost overboard, still not found. So far, I left off front fenders for two reasons.... I'm not happy with the fender fit and I have pics showing fenders off.

So far, some additions, a second antenna, bought for another project. Platoon commanders could have two radios, hence, two antennas. A tow cable from front to back, a bucket and loose equipment added and a .50cal mounted in the rack behind the turret.

I haven't received a mg mount yet, I'm mounting a .50cal and a .30 cal in front of the commanders and loaders hatch.

Stars, SN and a name will be added as soon as I get the decals.

As soon as I clean up, I'll post pics. My freakin hand still hurts three days after the tracks were put together with one finger blister... :roll:

TTT

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Just scanned the instruction sheet and blew it up 300% and found my two missing pieces, rear light wire guards.

TTT

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:17 pm

This build is the first kit job I have made as soon as I received it. My to- do shelf is filled with 1/6 and 1/18 builds but this Sherman cried out to be done NOW.

OK, so, I have one small piece lost overboard and among the missing. It is the mg travel lock on top of the turret.

That aside, I was waiting for a couple of resin parts among them is a functional .50cal mount to mount guns in front of the two turret hatches.
Today I received my parts EXCEPT instead of my mount, I received another part I did not order. The "wrong" piece is a travel lock..... the same as the piece I lost overboard. Strange.

I have to paint the resin parts (Mrs. TTT is my detail painter), so my Sherman is not finished unti my mount gets here.

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Nice to hear I'm not the only one that hated putting those track links together, by the why, thanks, the kubelwagen was what you said it would be :wink: