JSI Jolly Rogers Tomcat Advice Needed

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Tinman
Officer - Brigadier General

JSI Jolly Rogers Tomcat Advice Needed

Post by Tinman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Fellow board members, any thoughts on these items?

Missing the pitot tube (nose probe). Can replacements be found, or has anyone had success in fabricating one? My skills are very basic.

The glove vanes are loose and prone to sliding inside where they become a challenge to pull out again. How have you tightened things up? I'd like them to remain movable, but to tend to stay in place once adjusted.

Loose tail hook flops down. Glue it up, or has someone found a better way?

Thanks!!!

AJWW2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: JSI Jolly Rogers Tomcat Advice Needed

Post by AJWW2 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Here is an F-16 pitot tube, I don't know if it is compatible with an F-14, but I thought I'd try:

http://www.badcattoys.com/fpitu1bbi.html
it be like dat

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:43 am

I made a mold of mine to use while making covers. I didn't want to take the chance of losing or breaking the original. I can make you a couple. PM Me if your interested.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:29 am

PM sent

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:39 am

To be honest a pilot tube is probably one of the easiest items for a novice modeler to fabricate. The only thing you may need to buy would be some metal files. You can get a basic file kit at Harbor Freight or any modeling store. All you need then is a plastic sprue from an opened model box. Just cut a long piece off and start filing it down to the correct shape. Make it long enough to hold the end while filing then cut it off at the correct length when finished. If you happen to use a grey model sprue painting the tube may not be necessary. After you have the right shape just sand it smooth.

Bruzilla
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Bruzilla » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:21 am

I used sprue tro make a replacement for mine, but there's an easier way than filing. Just light a candle and hold the sprue above it until it starts to sag in the middle. Then slowly stretch it. It takes a couple of times to get it right, but it sure beats filing. ;)

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:25 am

I guess I’m old school. Now the kids are using candles. :) Either way you can make one pretty easily.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Thank you all for your advice, and especially to pizzaguy who is sending me pitot tubes.

One more question -

I accientally bumped the the side of the tan-painted nose into the gun on my JSI Tiger I tank (the toy shelves are crowded, what can I say). Now there's a small, but noticeable mark on the F-14 nose. Is there a way to buff it out without making things worse (it's really not that bad, just one of those little imperfections that will drive me nuts)?

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey tinman- just read your PMs... Bummer about your pitot tube! I don't have any extra nor do I have any connections to get a replacement. :( Sorry bro! As for your nose- if you like you can send the nose to me and I'll repaint the tan section! Super super easy and I can turn it overnight- no charge! Happy to help!

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:13 pm

tko211 wrote:Hey tinman- just read your PMs... Bummer about your pitot tube! I don't have any extra nor do I have any connections to get a replacement. :( Sorry bro! As for your nose- if you like you can send the nose to me and I'll repaint the tan section! Super super easy and I can turn it overnight- no charge! Happy to help!
That's pretty cool, Zach...

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:45 pm

tko211 wrote:Hey tinman- just read your PMs... Bummer about your pitot tube! I don't have any extra nor do I have any connections to get a replacement. :( Sorry bro! As for your nose- if you like you can send the nose to me and I'll repaint the tan section! Super super easy and I can turn it overnight- no charge! Happy to help!

Zach, I really appreciate your generous offer - thank you! Let me try buffing it first. If that doesn't work, then I will definitely take you up on your offer.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Zach, I really appreciate your generous offer - thank you! Let me try buffing it first. If that doesn't work, then I will definitely take you up on your offer.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Happily, the paint scuff on the nose turned out to be no big deal. I was able to buff most of it off and it's barely noticeable now.

A big Thank You to pizzaguy for sending me pitot tubes. Took a gray sharpie marker to one, and it fit perfectly and looks great on my F-14.

Today I spent about an hour and a half mounting the big beast to a wall. Hung it belly to the wall (gear up) at a precise 45 degree angle, jetting up and to the right. Used 50 lb test fishing line. It was a bear of a job, but it turned out beautifully.

Special thanks to TKO for the fantastic paint job early this year, now finally displayed in all its glory!!!