Is 21st Cobra still popular item?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Is 21st Cobra still popular item?

Post by flayrah » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Are people still looking for the camo Cobra, or is it no longer on the must-have list? I might be able to grab one at a good price, wondered if it would be a worthwhile trade with anyone on the board for a Huey or Kiowa.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Is 21st Cobra still popular item?

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Judging by the fact that these (both the "Snake" and "Cammo" versions) fetch high prices on ebay (anywhere above $150) and are among some of the rarest XD items, I would say they are still popular. They are rare given that there are only the two paint schemes that were available in the 2004-05 time frame and the toolings have since been lost/destroyed. One hardly sees droves of them on ebay without bids or high BINs nowadays, very much unlike common XD items such as P-51s Migs, F-104s, Halftracks, etc.

Its funny, because retailers would say the Cobras didn't sell all that well back in the day when they were in the $40-$50 range - and they are the best 1:18 helicopter model out there, period. Remarkable given their age and some of the other contemporary products that were designed at the same time like the P-40 and P-47s

If you can get one cheap, go for it! If you do not already have one, keep it and do not trade it for a Huey or Kiowa. However, if you can get one for cheap and use it for trading fodder for a Huey or Kiowa, all the power to you, as those are great helicopters as well 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:54 am

Definitely. I got into 1/18 after the Golden Age but, despite that, I now have at least one of every aircraft and vehicle that was made back then and, for things that are favorites of mine (e.g. P-47, Corsair) quite a few examples . . . all except the Cobra. I've never been able to find one at a price I would pay and think I may never get one now ... sigh

NightVyper
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NightVyper » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:08 am

i paid through the nose for mine. but they are real nice and i have no regrets.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 am

I have seen them stacked to the ceiling at Walmart with a price tag of $15.

I never did get one.

Now looking back I wish I did.

What kind of trade can we work out ?

PM me. :wink: :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks to all who replied about a trade, but I don't think I stated my post well - I DON'T have a Cobra, I was asking about the popularity of one because I heard from a friend, of a friend, that he might have one he wanted to sell. But that didn't work out and I didn't get the model. So I don't have one now, and seeing how desirable they are, I probably won't have one in the future.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:50 pm

flayrah, never say never: Pickelhaube is really a magician and surely has plans for something... wish him a looooong life.