Question about 1/6 figures

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Question about 1/6 figures

Post by B17Fortress » Sat May 07, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey, I know that this is a 1:18th scale forum, but SSMQ has the most friendly community so I hope you guys won't mind this deviation.

Are the 1/6 figures hands molded in on shape, or can the fingers be moved to suit any weapon?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Question about 1/6 figures

Post by hotrodrock » Sat May 07, 2011 5:39 pm

I would say nearly all have hands molded to a specific shape. But nearly all have some flexibility to them. They just about have to in order to position weapons in them. Quite a few come with extra sets of hands and there are carded sets of extra hands in various positions.

I guess the first flexible hands were the old G.I. Joe's with "kung Fu" grip.

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat May 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Ditto. I use the GI Joe hands when I need some special grip. They look crappy though. The normal movement of DML and DID figs have some movement of the trigger finger fits into trigger guards of various weapons they would be handling.

Now when you get into bigger figs, like 18", my Terminator 2: Judgement Day Endoskeleton, has movement in all the finger joints, for you to pose with anything.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Mon May 09, 2011 7:59 pm

There are bendy hands available that can be shaped to fit whatever weapon or other object you like. DiD, Soldier Story, Dragon and other companies have made bendy hands. With a little modification you can fit different manufacturers hands to different bodies. Having said that I absolutely hate bendy hands. In my experience they don't grip the objects well and they don't look good unless they are wearing gloves. As far as rigid hands are concerned as hotrodrock said most have some flexibility to them. Some are made of a fairly soft rubber like plastic that is very flexible and others are made of a harder material that has some but not a whole lot of flexibility. Whenever I encounter a problem with getting a hand to grip an object properly I heat a cup of water in the microwave to nearly boiling and then dip the hand in it for about 30 seconds. When you take it out it will be very flexible and you can bend the fingers to whatever position you want. Hold them in that position and dip them in cold water and they should retain the new shape.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon May 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Microwaving water up to the boiling point is dangerous. Microwaving water resists boiling and inserting any object can make the water kind of explode. Better to use a pot on the stove to boil the water.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Tue May 10, 2011 2:38 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Microwaving water up to the boiling point is dangerous. Microwaving water resists boiling and inserting any object can make the water kind of explode. Better to use a pot on the stove to boil the water.

TTT
I know the reaction you're talking about. I haven't had any problems though because I don't actually leave it in long enough to boil. If it does boil I usually let it cool a little before putting anything in it. However as you point out it's something that should be done with caution. Even with water boiled on the stove caution is definitely in order. I've seen some very nasty burns caused by boiling water.