schleich airplane

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

schleich airplane

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 am

http://shop.toledozoo.org/browse.cfm/ai ... ,2894.html

looks based on the piper j-3 cub. Length is exactly 1/18, wings are stubby though. Should be 23 inches and they're only 18....they are the right size though, just too short.

However, slap some olive drab paint on it and put in one of your Patton figures or strap some bazookas to the side and go german tank hunting in the bocage.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: schleich airplane

Post by Tambo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 am

My Toys R Us has a bunch of these and I've been wanting to snag one....they are way over priced.
Good trades: C00per, pcb122605, digger, vulgarvulture X2, General Blasto X2, Light.Inf.Scout, V2 Man, Sentinel, xddave, grunt1

[img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/230/230828/folders/190465/2439227TAMBOSIGsmall.JPG[/img]

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm

I have just purchased one from ReallyGreatToys.com for $33 and for those interested under Safari Ltd. brand WildWonders there are elephants that work very well in 1/18 dioramas. Free shipping for purchases over $75 and you get to pick out one free item to boot. I have done business several times and service is fast and friendly.

Eric

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:46 pm

This plane is just screamimg to be painted in WW2 Civil Air Patrol sub hunting Yellow with the correct markings. I may just get one for that.
Good trades: C00per, pcb122605, digger, vulgarvulture X2, General Blasto X2, Light.Inf.Scout, V2 Man, Sentinel, xddave, grunt1

[img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/230/230828/folders/190465/2439227TAMBOSIGsmall.JPG[/img]

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:14 pm

aferguson wrote:http://shop.toledozoo.org/browse.cfm/ai ... ,2894.html

looks based on the piper j-3 cub. Length is exactly 1/18, wings are stubby though. Should be 23 inches and they're only 18....they are the right size though, just too short.
Would it be difficult to lengthen them?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 am

you'd need to add rounded wing tips of about 2 1/2 inches each. It would be tricky to match the shape, thickness and whatever airfoil they have molded to the wing and then blend it in but not impossible. A decent modeller could probably do it.

You should add strut supports under the wings too......that would be pretty easy to do.

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:13 pm

I received the Schleich airplane today and wanted to post some of my observations. Sorry no pictures :oops:

Value $33 Great value and very playable toy.

Packaging Excellent. Each part was wrapped in tissue paper and sealed in plastic bag.

Assembly easy. 5 minutes to unwrap :lol: and less then 5 minutes to assemble.

Realism very good. I can see this plane in numerous scenarios ie...anything Covert :wink: FAC in "Nam"..Observation plane in WWII. Customs are unlimited.

Discription: Fuselage is made up of 2 parts. The cabin area is one seat wide and accessed from a door on the rightside. Directly behind that is another door accessing the rear cargo area. (Only one seat in the plane). Opposite this door is a slightly larger door again accessing the cargo bay. And surprisingly a fourth and smallest door accesses the very rear part of the fuselage. Sadly the only moving ailerons is the rudder but the others are at least molded in the correct locations. The second part of fuselage is the engine compartment and prop. The nose cone snaps off to reveal an engine, vague in detail but still nice to have. Cockpit is sparse in detail but has some features such as instrument panel, joy stick and leftside armrest with additional controls. Overall size is 1/18ish except for wingspan seems to narrow.(as already pointed out by aferg)

Pilot: Roughly 3 1/8 " in size He's molded in the seated position and dressed in civilian clothes. Can easily be painted to represent CIA or Nam Fac pilot. A PTE figure will not even come close to fitting in to the cockpit however the original german 109 pilot may have the best chance of working since he is smaller in size.

I am far from a plane expert but rate custom potential as very adaptible. I will probably
go with the Nam Fac scheme.

This is my first review of anything, although I have 1 of all 21st, BBI, FOV,and PTe products and have been reading this forum since the Groundpounder days.
I have most likely missed something of interest to someone but if interested in
and observation plane this is a good choice.

Thanks for your time.
Eric

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:25 pm

thanks for the review, all good to know.

Another interesting paint scheme you may want to consider is a WW2 standard olive drab with light grey undersides and having bazookas strapped to the side. These planes were used in the fighting after DDay to hunt german tanks hiding in the bocage.

I'm sure it would be pretty easy to find pictures of L-4's so modified.

Here's a site with some info and pics:

http://lostgallery.blogspot.com/2009/01 ... unted.html

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks Aferg. Those pics really give me motivation and the Grasshopper is one of my favorite planes also.

Eric

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Did anyone buy the truck from Schleich? looks also pretty nice to make an afghanistan diorama with the 21st eastern warriors. Would need some ad-ons like windshield or so. Scale seems to be 1/16...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:35 pm

ive seen it and i would say it's under scale. Around 1/20, but trucks are variable in size so it would work fine with xd. It looks sorta like a british truck to me but i'm sure it could have dozens of applications. Figures would be a tight fit for sure, but us xders are used to that. Removing lower legs would probably be necessary, but i've never tried it so that's just a guess.

I think it could have applications from WWII to modern. Since trucks are scarce in this scale (like pretty much everything else, lol) beggers can't be choosers.

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:04 pm

I have the truck and it is a pretty versitle vehicle. It is underscale but still works very well with 1/18. It can be used in many different scenarios. In fact I use many of the Schleich, Papo, and Safari Ltd accessories in my dioramas. Scale is close enough and a wide varity to choose from. Examples are trees, hedges, buildings, airplane, animals, rafts, ect,ect.

Thanks
Eric

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu May 05, 2011 2:08 am

here is an alternative, about 1/17 scale. May be a cheaper airframe only version come out in a while.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=16287