So I was Working On My Bombcat when....

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

So I was Working On My Bombcat when....

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:21 pm

....to my surprise and displeasure, practically every hinge joint in both the left and right main gear snapped. I have the metal SkyWorks gear, but you are supposed to re-use the scissor legs and the upper drag links. So far I have one scissor leg left out of four, and neither of the upper drag links survive. This has all happened AFTER converting to the metal gear legs...not during. It's as if after about 10 months, the plastic at the hinge points has dried and become so brittle that they crumble at a touch. Anybody else having this problem? Other than casting (in metal maybe) new scissor legs and drag links, anybody have a solution?
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: So I was Working On My Bombcat when....

Post by VMF115 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Can you post pictures please?
Last edited by VMF115 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:56 pm

What are the scissor legs and the upper drag links? again?

The curse of the JSI tomcat strikes again! no seriously I hope Skyworks can fix this!
Last edited by VMF115 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:05 pm

opps

snake

Post by snake » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:06 pm

More problems for the JSI Tomcat. :roll:

Hopefully you can find a solution, Folkwulfe.

Not really familiar with the Skyworks gear, and what pieces are still left original plastic. Can somebody post pics of what is the problem.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 pm

This is an image of the original all-plastic right main gear as it comes on the JSI Tomcat. The lower portion of the gear is spring loaded (oleo strut) and actually moves up and down according to weight on the gear. The two "arms" from the bottom edge to just above the oleo strut (the part that moves inside the gear leg against the spring) are called "scissors". There is a small silver pin at the top and bottom connections to the main leg as well as in the center where the two "scissors" connect to one another. Where these pins are is where the problem lies. The holes in both scissor legs where that pin attaches them together has busted out leaving nothing to connect the two scissors together. The longer leg that attached inside and forward of the main gear leg, then down to the front of the gear leg is called the "gear drag bar" and is made of two parts. The upper drag bar is from the gear well area to half way down the entire drag bar. There it attaches to the lower (larger) drag bar that attaches to the front of the main gear leg. SkyWorks metal landing gear do NOT include either of the two scissor legs or the upper drag bar. You have to extract and save the originals to attach for a complete gear.

This picture was taken before the lower gear leg snapped in two (ala why I had to go with the SkyWorks gear). Now however I have an additional problem in that I have to fabricate new scissor legs and upper drag bars....there is no doing without them.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks Folkwulfe I think the best thing to do is find some one to cast metal parts for all of the remaining plastic parts..

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 pm

For what you pay for skyworks metal gear you would think that everything directly linked to the gear would be included. :shock:

snake

Post by snake » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:23 pm

gliderdwm wrote:For what you pay for skyworks metal gear you would think that everything directly linked to the gear would be included. :shock:
Have to kind of agree. Although these parts don't bear any weight, so shouldn't be a problem. However it clearly is for Folkwulfe.

Thanks for posting the pic FW. It does explain the problem.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:44 am

Just an idea. Call Merit and see if they still have gear in their parts inventory. I did earlier and told them mine had broken and they sent a complete pair of new gear.
JOC

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:04 am

Okay....I'm for calling Merit. Got their number?

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:22 am

Folkwulfe wrote:Okay....I'm for calling Merit. Got their number?

is your gear the same one that badcat sale is it the one that skywork did a custom brast tube fore..

the skywork one that badcat use should not have and problem you can glue the joint together

if it is the custome landing gear part plastic and part brass tubing it will break over time

thus the best use is to get the skywork badcat or military toy shop all steel landing gear... hope this help...
whats up doc....

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:17 pm

You can get their number from their website. They are in the Los Angeles area.
One more thing, and this should be of note to all who have or have not changed their main gear. Pizza Guy's acrylic stand is the best of all worlds. For 28 plus shipping, I had one made lower, just enough to hold the 14 off the ground, yet still let wheels touch bottom. The stand takes all the weight off the main gear and still allows bird to sit on ground. The way he makes the shorter one makes it almost un-noticeble when the 14 is on it. A good investment, for a cheap price to keep from having these troubles. I have one of my 14's, which I was lucky enough to not have gear trouble on a stand now, no weight on gear so it should last quite awhile.
Contact Nathan (Pizza Guy) about one for your bird, you won't be sorry. He also makes the shorter ones for the BBI 16 and 18 also.
Jack at Skyworks makes great replacement gear, but gear will not retract.
JOC

snake

Post by snake » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:27 pm

JOC wrote:
You can get their number from their website. They are in the Los Angeles area.
One more thing, and this should be of note to all who have or have not changed their main gear. Pizza Guy's acrylic stand is the best of all worlds. For 28 plus shipping, I had one made lower, just enough to hold the 14 off the ground, yet still let wheels touch bottom. The stand takes all the weight off the main gear and still allows bird to sit on ground. The way he makes the shorter one makes it almost un-noticeble when the 14 is on it. A good investment, for a cheap price to keep from having these troubles. I have one of my 14's, which I was lucky enough to not have gear trouble on a stand now, no weight on gear so it should last quite awhile.
Contact Nathan (Pizza Guy) about one for your bird, you won't be sorry. He also makes the shorter ones for the BBI 16 and 18 also.
Jack at Skyworks makes great replacement gear, but gear will not retract.
JOC

Good idea JOC.

I have a couple of Nathans stands, and they do a great job. Plus if you get a lowered one like JOC suggested, you won't have problems in the future with sagging, or breakage.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:33 pm

I found the number (on the internet) and called then. A nice young lady told me that they have very few spare parts right now, but if I would sent an email to the customer support it shouyld be answered. Email sent...now all I can do is wait for a reply.

As for the stand....nice idea, but not my style. My Bombcat will be hanging "dirty" meaning gear (and flaps when I'm done) down. I could glue everything together, but if you check SkyWork's website, they are working on an easy conversion for those who have purchased their metal gear that will allow it to rotate and retract. I don't want to ruin a $60.00 pair of legs before I have tried other less perminant fixes....or something I can live with at least. I'll keep you posted.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Folkwulfe wrote:I found the number (on the internet) and called then. A nice young lady told me that they have very few spare parts right now, but if I would sent an email to the customer support it shouyld be answered. Email sent...now all I can do is wait for a reply.

As for the stand....nice idea, but not my style. My Bombcat will be hanging "dirty" meaning gear (and flaps when I'm done) down. I could glue everything together, but if you check SkyWork's website, they are working on an easy conversion for those who have purchased their metal gear that will allow it to rotate and retract. I don't want to ruin a $60.00 pair of legs before I have tried other less perminant fixes....or something I can live with at least. I'll keep you posted.
I know tom written that but where on their website does it say that?

Barbarian333
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Barbarian333 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:28 pm

I had the same problem with my scissor arms broken at the pin. Plane arrived in box that way. I was able to get my ebay seller to send me a complete replacement gear that he recieved from Merit. In the meantime i decided to try and glue the pieces around the pin and actually got it all put together pretty well. Still holding up 2 months now. Mine were broke in 2 pieces around the pin at 2 different pin points .Any more pieces than that might not be a go.
Last edited by Barbarian333 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:37 pm

VMF115...if you go to the main Merit International web site home page (Merit...not dealer) on the left side look for "Services". It will take you here http://www.merit-intl.com/merit/services.html. Towards the bottom is "Service and Support" with an envelop to the right. Click on the envelop and your default email program should open with Merit's address already in the To field.

I thought about gluing the pieces together too, but that would only work on the scissor legs (since the oleo doesn't work, the scissors are stationary). The drag link is another problem. For the gear to fold, those two drag link bars HAVE to pivot.

Kroll777
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Kroll777 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:35 pm

If that does not workout with Merit let me know I should be able to help you out for a small cost. I will just need to know the exact pieces. Try Merit first.

Kroll777

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:08 am

Sounds like it might be smart to add a little liquid silicone lubricant to the joints to keep them from locking up and it will also help keep the plastic from becoming brittle.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark