Question about "Marine's Dream" corsair - background info

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Question about "Marine's Dream" corsair - background info

Post by ExC17load » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:33 am

I like to have as much background information as I can for all of my planes and keep it all on an excel spreadsheet. It makes me feel more in touch with the planes knowing their individual histories. For the MD corsair, I have seen 1Lt Edwin Olander VMF 214 attached to that particular plane and now I have a magazine with that corsair on the cover and it has Lt Ken Walsh's, the MOH recipient, name on it. The article stated he was the first corsair ace, so maybe the pilot just wanted his name on the plane.

I know the board is very knowledgeable about this kind of stuff. Who should I put as the rightly pilot for this aircraft and what unit?

Thanks for any help.
"I can stop collecting 1:18 scale anytime, really I can. OOoh, the new Stuka re-paint! I don't have that one.

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Question about "Marine's Dream" corsair - background inf

Post by gliderdwm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:42 am

I did a little research a while back to get info on marines dream. The BBI paint scheme was never used in that way in WWII. I believe this is a paint scheme of a corsair used now for air shows or some kind of modern display at some point.

ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ExC17load » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 am

gliderdwm wrote:I did a little research a while back to get info on marines dream. The BBI paint scheme was never used in that way in WWII. I believe this is a paint scheme of a corsair used now for air shows or some kind of modern display at some point.
Ok, that would make sense. Just have a cool paint job, put a well known name on it and you are good to go. Gotcha! Thanks for the information!!
"I can stop collecting 1:18 scale anytime, really I can. OOoh, the new Stuka re-paint! I don't have that one.

toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:19 am

Yes the Marines Dream is a flying air show plane. I’ve seen it in person a few times and have a few different photos of it hiding out on different computers. Not an original scheme from what I was told but still a cool bird.

ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ExC17load » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:29 am

toyktdlgh wrote:Yes the Marines Dream is a flying air show plane. I’ve seen it in person a few times and have a few different photos of it hiding out on different computers. Not an original scheme from what I was told but still a cool bird.
Yeah, I like the scheme, just wish it was historically accurate, but what can you do? Would be nice to see that one in person, knowing that I have the smaller variant at home on display.

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:24 pm

Image Is this 1/72 scale Corgi a more accurate color scheme?
Last edited by mikeyt on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:51 pm

Here are some pictures from WWII Weekend.......

Here is a photo of a Bunker Hill Avenger they had there also. Sadly a mechanic died the following year when it caught on fire during test run. I believe the Avenger was damaged beyond repair too.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:07 pm

Not only is Marines Dream a fictitious airshow scheme, so is the BBI Checkerboarded cowl Corsair. That plane was last flying around 2000-2001. Then they stuck it in a museum. No longer flying.

The Block Island Corsair is the only BBI Corsair with a WWII historic representation.

All of 21st Century's Corsairs are an accurate WWII representation. Slight correction. The first issue of the Ira Kepford Corsair is partially correct. From the only existing picture known shows it had less kill markings and the color variations are hard to prove. The 2nd issue of Kepford's Corsair represents the 4 known photos of that plane.

ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ExC17load » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:22 am

Buckyroo wrote:Here are some pictures from WWII Weekend.......

Here is a photo of a Bunker Hill Avenger they had there also. Sadly a mechanic died the following year when it caught on fire during test run. I believe the Avenger was damaged beyond repair too.
Still a beautiful airplane, even if not historically correct. Would love to see that one rolling down the runway and lifting off into the air!