1/18 Sell Off, People Leaving Hobby/Scale

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
JamesW
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JamesW » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:13 pm

One thing that does happen in a slow economy....

Moving. Moving sucks big time. People may sell be selling off some planes for needed cash and so they don't have to pay to move them to the new house, city or state.

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:42 am

Even though 1:18 military seems dead right now, I will always stick by it. I have an army of almost a thousand strong, plenty of planes and armour to "play" with. :D So even if nothing new gets released, the ones that I have are fantastic. I think it is such a shame when people feel that selling off thier collection is thier only alternative. There are so many customs out there and a lot of the items we need are still avialible online. Please guys, don't sell unless you really have to. You'll regret it in the long run. I say this from my own mistakes.
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 am

tosborne3 wrote:Please guys, don't sell unless you really have to. You'll regret it in the long run. I say this from my own mistakes.
I sold some of my old 3 3/4" other figures: battlestar galactica, black hole, ad&d, and actually found myself going back now and buying what I once had. In most cases I'm actually getting a better toy in the process (a benefit of the big sell off of the Great Recession) ... but in a few cases the rare stuff I once had (Gold Cylon comes to mind) is pretty much history.

On the flip side, everybody is in a different situation, so my only advice is keep photos of anything you do decide to part with. :)

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: 1/18 Sell Off, People Leaving Hobby/Scale

Post by Aviatornut.com » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:55 pm

I have noticed the trend of people leaving the hobby more so this year than any time before but I think the reasons are vast and vary greatly to the individual. I know we have bought at least five big collections this year and could have bought more if we were willing to pay ebay-retail.
A side note and that is, several of the people selling off turn around buy a F14.

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:57 pm

Aviatornut.com wrote:I have noticed the trend of people leaving the hobby more so this year than any time before but I think the reasons are vast and vary greatly to the individual. I know we have bought at least five big collections this year and could have bought more if we were willing to pay ebay-retail.
A side note and that is, several of the people selling off turn around buy a F14.
I would have to say economics, and lack of affordable new items.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:22 am

Let's see how far I can get in this economy without having to sell my stuff. Maybe they'll find me hunched over and have to pry my cold dead hands off my XD.

Hopefully it won't come to that though. If I do have to sell some It'll be the 1:6 stuff and all the 12" GI Joe figures and vehicles I bought first when I got into this hobby.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

BELTxFED
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BELTxFED » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:57 am

Prices seem to escalate in November
...time to scal, er, let go of your stuff...

Mitch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mitch » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:37 am

I've found myself going back and forth...sell...don't sell. I had a huge collection of Nascar stuff back in the early 90's that I sold off (and glad I did) but I don't feel that way about my XD. I think the only reason I consider parting with it is because I'm dissapointed at the Mfg.s complete lines of BS lately, and lack of new product. I really really wanted that King Tiger. A collection of tanks isn't complete without the "King".

ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ExC17load » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:46 pm

I can see how this economy would second and third order effects. Not only is it knocking companies out of business, it is reducing people's ability to spend the money on products, then makes it so tough that people have to sell in order to pay bills. All of these are sad.
"I can stop collecting 1:18 scale anytime, really I can. OOoh, the new Stuka re-paint! I don't have that one.

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Charlemagne » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:39 pm

I have about 21 birds and I have always considered selling them off. The thing that holds me back are the kids. I went to my sons fifth grade class and took a few with me......next thing I know they ask me to come back and speak to the entire fifth grade. I lined up about 12 of these birds at the edge of the stage and the kids were nearly awe struck. We ran out of time and they were still peppering me with questions. Since we don't have an aviation museum nearby it is kind of like taking a miniature musuem to them. If it was not for that I would probably have half my collection sold off...
“Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.”
- George S. Patton

iballdriver
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by iballdriver » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:57 pm

Charlemagne wrote:I have about 21 birds and I have always considered selling them off. The thing that holds me back are the kids. I went to my sons fifth grade class and took a few with me......next thing I know they ask me to come back and speak to the entire fifth grade. I lined up about 12 of these birds at the edge of the stage and the kids were nearly awe struck. We ran out of time and they were still peppering me with questions. Since we don't have an aviation museum nearby it is kind of like taking a miniature musuem to them. If it was not for that I would probably have half my collection sold off...
what an awesome idea.....
coleslaw is a condiment.
Good Trader: Delta Team
vulgarvulture

snake

Post by snake » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Charlemagne wrote:I have about 21 birds and I have always considered selling them off. The thing that holds me back are the kids. I went to my sons fifth grade class and took a few with me......next thing I know they ask me to come back and speak to the entire fifth grade. I lined up about 12 of these birds at the edge of the stage and the kids were nearly awe struck. We ran out of time and they were still peppering me with questions. Since we don't have an aviation museum nearby it is kind of like taking a miniature musuem to them. If it was not for that I would probably have half my collection sold off...

Great story, Charlemagne. :D

Good to see the kids getting excited about history.

And maybe you have just gotten a couple of them to do some research, and learn something.

Perhaps even planted the seed of future diecast collectors.

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:23 pm

What a GREAT idea. I never even thought of using mine in a way like that. My son and I belong to a local up and coming air museum. We are actually in the process if restoring a real Corsair that was on a poll for 30 years. We go to air shows, air events, train shows where ever we can go to raise donations for the Corsair project. We set up a booth with actual pieces of the plane and much memorabilia. We have around a dozen 1/18 Corsairs at home in different markings. We will defeinetly bring and set up some so the people can see what an actual Corsair looks like.

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Charlemagne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:14 am

I'm glad this story sparked some thought. It really is a great use for these aircraft. The video game kids of today are visually stimulated so these birds defininately catch their visual attention and get them to thinking and asking questions which is a great thing. It brings more meaning for them than just words in a history book.
“Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.”
- George S. Patton