Installing New F-110 Nozzles on JSI F-14

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
abpiel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Installing New F-110 Nozzles on JSI F-14

Post by abpiel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:55 am

Anyone know if there is a video or detailed instructions on how to remove the old nozzles and isntall the new F-110 engine nozzles carefully without damaging your JSI F-14? I am REALLY paranoid about doing this.

Also, I know there was a video on installing Skyworks Metal Landing Gear. Anyone know where it is?

Thanks!

Andrew

Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:10 am

it is on youtube type jsi f14 and it pop up with the other five jsi f14

on the other item badcat web page has instruction under the item
whats up doc....

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

They Just "pop" off.

Post by mcaulk » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Andrew,

The BadCat site says the old nozzles simply "pop off" with a screwdriver. .. maybe, maybe not. I have disassembled 2 of these big cats and had mixed results "popping" the old engines off. One came off easily the other 3 had to be cut off with a razor saw. No big deal but will work up a sweat. To get it right you will need to rework the fairings around the nozzles. The A is somewhat different from the B or D which used the GE Engine. I will be doing this soon and will post the adventure when complete. Also a word about the Sky Works gear.

I assembled a set this weekend. I bought the unassembled version and found putting it together quite a challenge. They look great when finished. My plan is to add hydraulic lines over the next couple of days then paint weather and post. Have been working on two of these since Christmas some pics at: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/ind ... pic=201434

I used the YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVjsqxl2KAY and pics form the SkyWorks site: http://www.skyworkstoys.com/f14tomcat.html as a reference. Just take your time... minimize the swearing and take a small quantity of medicinal alcohol and you should do fine.

Regards,

Mike

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:30 am

I have installed 3 sets of the bigger Skyworks engines. In all my cases there was no popping off of anything! I found that I had to cut away much of the engine area with cutters and then once I trimmed it down I was able to use needle nose pliers to pry the rest of the engine away from the model. With a little care and at the same time, a little elbow grease they come off. the new engines simply pressure fit nicely onto the body of the plane.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 am

yeah i have had a mix of some being glued on and some not, but if they are glued on i have had to cut away through the tight-a.. gap where the nozzles connect, its a bit of work, but i have also just ripped them off with pliers, gonna be replaced anyways, right. i tried the slot screw driver thing, no luck.

tom@skyworkstoys
Corporal
Corporal

Exhaust Video

Post by tom@skyworkstoys » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:34 pm

After seeing all these posts about issues getting the old nozzles off, it is apparent we need to do something. I talked to Jack today and we both agreed that a video is needed, like the landing gear video we did. He and I will start working on it and let you know when it is done, and where we post it. In the meantime, if you have any questions, just let us know.
Tom@SkyWorksToys

VMF115

Re: Exhaust Video

Post by VMF115 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 pm

tom@skyworkstoys wrote:After seeing all these posts about issues getting the old nozzles off, it is apparent we need to do something. I talked to Jack today and we both agreed that a video is needed, like the landing gear video we did. He and I will start working on it and let you know when it is done, and where we post it. In the meantime, if you have any questions, just let us know.
What about the mod to the landing gear video?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:30 am

I bought the unassembled landing gear and they are really beautiful models in and of themselves. Spent the weekend putting them together and am now adding some hydraulic lines prior to painting.
To get it right I knda of backward engineered by running the install video in short clips stopping thru the disassembly process... re-running when things weren't clear. Once the old gear was completely apart I referenced the pics at the SkyWorks site for direction in putting together the new gear.

Some of the subassemblies had me scratching my head but eventually I figured out what to trim and where everything went. My biggest headache was self-induced. Broke off a drill bit, TWICE in one of the tougher spots that required quite a bit of boring but was able to finally get the pieces out.

Unless you are an experienced modeler I would steer you to the pre-assembled set but these gear are a must for anyone wanting an accurate Cat.

Regards,

Mike

tko211

Re: Exhaust Video

Post by tko211 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:06 am

tom@skyworkstoys wrote:After seeing all these posts about issues getting the old nozzles off, it is apparent we need to do something. I talked to Jack today and we both agreed that a video is needed, like the landing gear video we did. He and I will start working on it and let you know when it is done, and where we post it. In the meantime, if you have any questions, just let us know.
Videos always help :) These nozzles are very cool and finish off my B model tomcat I have been painting for a while now.

The A model engines might seem tough at first, but In all my cases I found that after I cut away some of the thinner more fragile pieces I could get down to the thicker part that is glued on the plane. In my cases the glue would make a clean break and crack away from the plane if I used a pair of needle nose pliers to yank it off.

In the end it's really pretty easy to do. It's a simple mod that makes a huge difference! I love these nozzles!

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:01 am

JSI did a little corner cutting with the tail pipe tubes. The diameter is undersized.

As we know the model bird is of the original "A" model with Pratt and Whitney TF-30 engines. It represents a plane with both nozzles bled down to their smallest dimension. (In real life usually only one of the engines would actually be that constricted but I digress.)

With the nozzles small like that it is not apparent but with the big GE F-110s the entire tailpipe is exposed and then it is obviously undersized. I didn’t' t cut the old nozzles off until I had done a lot of work on the rest of the fuselage or I would have taken them out and replaced them with bigger tubes… too late for that so as is will have to do.

Have added one step ring to the tube between the fuselage and nozzles, which helps to minimize the diameter difference. After filling the seams should look pretty good. Anybody else notice this discrepancy? Oh well no model is perfect.

Regards,

Mike

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Well...I finally received my new burner cans and got tired of waiting for that video or somebody to post actually HOW the old ones could be removed. So....here's how I did it (probably the wrong way, but what the hey). I grabbed the old burner can with a pair of needle nosed pliers and started to pry from inside out. All that did was fracture the old can (who cares) along one of the seams at the petals. Didn't come free! So I tried twisting the entire burner can (as if you were trying to rotate it completelt around) and it popped right off! Did the same to the second can and VIOLA! So get a pair of pliers and grab the side of the burner can (incert one arm of the pliers inside, the other outside), then twist it as if to rotate it around where it's glued and it should pop right off. Simple.....maybe....?
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

SkyWorksToys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SkyWorksToys » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:35 pm

here is a video if anybody still have problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YTkmcF58JU

tom@skyworkstoys
Corporal
Corporal

Odds and Ends / Videl

Post by tom@skyworkstoys » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:23 pm

For those who need it, SkyWorks has posted a video on how to remove, and install the F-14 nozzles on uTube. The link is right above this post.

If anyone is interested, SkyWorks has a number of the original F-14 landing gear available for sale. These include the main strut, and the part the goes into the strut to hold the wheel. If interested, they are $12 a set, and that includes shipping. The set includes a right and left gear. Great item if you have broken the gear on your F-14.

We also have some of the original F-14 nozzles that have come off of planes we have upgraded. These will cost $4 each, plus shipping. These are great if you have broken one of the originals and still want a set for later on.

Another item we have available is the "H" arms for the main landing gear on the F-14. These are the original ones from the factory. We have not set a price, but let us know if you are interested and we will work up a price.

Anyone with special requests for parts, feel free to ask, we may have it available for you.

If anyone wants to purchase these items, just go to the SkyWorks web-site and let us know what you want.
Tom@SkyWorksToys