News on bbi Sherman?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

a couple comments...

Post by binder001 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:44 am

1) re: "can this be converted to a 76mm tank?" - answer yes, with a new turret and gun. The M4A3 with 76mm gun was a common gun tank in many units from the fall of 1944 on in both Europe and later in Italy. Once upon a time someone made a 1:18 T23 turret for the 21C Sherman (which was totally incorrect for the vehicle modeled by 21C).

2) "it figure that if 21C copied Tamiya then BBI would do the same" - yes, again, look at the Tamiya M4A3 105mm Howitzer tank and look at the stowage options that come with it. The K-ration boxes, water cans, track links and MG amm boxes sure sound familiar.

You know the real reason why BBI is coming out with this? Because I just sold off my extra Sherman parts and tank crewmen!

I'll probably have to break down and get one of these just because I'm a Sherman addict.

shorty
Corporal
Corporal

Post by shorty » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:12 pm

i hope the crewmen on the bbi version fit snuggly into the tank unlike the 21st Cent one. i miss those mini tankers sometimes, at least they fit into the cupola of the tank.

cmelt27
Corporal
Corporal

Sherman at BCA

Post by cmelt27 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:36 pm

Despite my insistence to myself that I wait until these BBI Shermans show up at a local TRU (assuming that they will) before I buy one, seeing that the Sherman arrived early at BCA made me order one. The price went up $3 (from $29.95 to $32.95) and I am kicking myself (hey, $3 is $3). :cry: Anyway, for any of you impulse buyers, it's now available (and I am really trying not to buy the night fighter ME109, but I just got paid today soooo...... :lol:).

Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Jesse James » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:03 pm

shorty wrote:i hope the crewmen on the bbi version fit snuggly into the tank unlike the 21st Cent one. i miss those mini tankers sometimes, at least they fit into the cupola of the tank.
Blasphemer! :x
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:15 pm

PREORDERS FOR THE SHERMAN SHIP OUT TODAY! That is if you ordered from BCA. :D

-Rob

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

good one!

Post by lablksmith » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:15 pm

Thanks Jesse, I needed a good laugh :lol:

cmelt27
Corporal
Corporal

Centone,

Post by cmelt27 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:10 pm

Yeah, I went through the 109 thread, and it said the night fighters are supposed to show up at WM. I'm just wondering why ToyFed got it first. It seems like at least some WMs get products before the small retailers. I think I am going to bite the bullet on this one--I keep thinking about how striking the "special" BBI black F-18 looked at ComicCon. The pics I have seen of the 109 look just as good, but a lot cheaper for my wallet as well as much smaller. So, that's a long winded way for me to say "thanks for the advice." :)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:55 pm

and at least the black 109 represents a real airplane as opposed to the 'fantasy' black F-18.

Are you guys sure the black 109 is coming to WM? I don't recall hearing anything official about that....but i could have just missed it. Better make sure before you wait endlessly and they go out of stock at online dealers..

cmelt27
Corporal
Corporal

black 109

Post by cmelt27 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:23 pm

Yeah, I think I would have bought the f-18 in a heartbeat if it were $80 despite the incorrect markings (and since it was an exclusive), but $250 even for a bird with real markings is a little/lot steep.

Toy Fed had 47 in stock today--oops, make that 46 now. :) I too have been thinking all day that this might not make it to WM--or at least not to any in my area.

I have a feeling this 109 will be prominently displayed in my apartment....

digger

record straight

Post by digger » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:08 pm

The Night Fighter is a WM plane. 21C did not release an entire paint scheme for ToyFed to buy 120 of them. Let's remember where the whole ToyFed exclusive came from - the leftover WM planes. It makes good sense that a small retailer could be shipping them out long before WM pumps them through the system and gets them on the shelf.

tmanthegreat

Shermans Have arrived!!

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:03 pm

Who has preordered a Sherman?? I saw today that they are shipping today from BCA and should be on many member's doorsteps in a few days! We're going to need a good review!

cmelt27
Corporal
Corporal

Yippee!

Post by cmelt27 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:53 pm

Just got my sherman from BCA at work, and, man, does it look nice. :D I just keep saying wow, wow, wow. I'll assume for the time being that I will continue with that response once it's out of the box. More later once the Sherman has been liberated from the box....

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:34 pm

I guess mine will show up on Thursday. I simply can’t wait. Btw, Big Boy War Toys has free shipping on stuff right now so you could pick up an extra Sherman for about $5 cheaper than Bad Cat since Bad Cats shipping cost is around $10. Dang that was a long sentence! :shock:

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:23 pm

Just got my Sherman today. It looks great. I really like the new tanker figure. I do wish he didn’t have that constipated look but a head replacement would be easy. The engine detail is great but there is no interior detail as far as I can tell. The whole thing smelled freshly painted when I opened the box. Overall I think it is a great tank for the money and the figure with its articulation is top notch. I put some pictures up on my web site just click below and go to the BBI Sherman folder. :D

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:55 pm

Both forward and turret hatches open. The binoculars and the machine gun is loose. It's really a great looking tank. :)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:34 pm

it does look good. Is the white supposed to be whitewash, dust, weathering? Does it look realistic?

Nice that the tanker's helmet is loose.....makes head changes tres simple.

I like the engine covers too... :)

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:56 pm

Thanks for the excellent photos! This just keeps looking better and better...I have been holding off, saving for the aircraft, but might have to grab one of these Shermans.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:58 pm

I like the white on this tank better than the white wash on 21st Sherman. I do think it's more realistic looking and the tank looks stouter than the 21c Sherman even though their basically the same. It’s a good looking tank and is well made.
I really like the Tanker figure but the thighs could use a pivot point. The ankles are movable which is nice but kind of pointless without a pivoting thigh. They could really turn out some fantastic figures if they were as functional as the power Team figures. All in all, the figure is nice and the tank is great. The engine detail is a cool addition.

cmelt27
Corporal
Corporal

Markings on the Sherman

Post by cmelt27 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:11 pm

Anyone have any ideas (or even better, pictures) of where these markings are from? For example, where did the "58" come from?

macvsog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by macvsog » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:12 pm

I will be getting many of these! BUT I WILL BE REPAINTING ALL OF THEM!

unless that "weathering" as i assume that it is, is way way better looking in person, YIKES!

That tank is really beautiful, i'm in love, baby!

but that b**** needs some new make-up.

-mike-

shorty
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Markings on the Sherman

Post by shorty » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:41 pm

cmelt27 wrote:Anyone have any ideas (or even better, pictures) of where these markings are from? For example, where did the "58" come from?
i'm not sure but here's a picture of a model someone did. looks exactly like the bbi sherman.

http://hsgalleries.com/m4a3aj_1.htm

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

Need ammo...

Post by lablksmith » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:51 pm

Thanks toyktdlgh. Quick question though. I read that there would be four each of the 30 and 50 cal. ammo boxes. Only see two each in the pics. I guess therefore there are really only two each, yes? :?