Grim Reapers F-14 at the Cat! WOW Pricey!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Krevix44
Corporal
Corporal

Grim Reapers F-14 at the Cat! WOW Pricey!

Post by Krevix44 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Looks totally awesome but little to much for me.

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 pm

I love what Jack has done with JSI's F-14, but I agree that its a bit pricey....heck I can't even afford a basic F-14.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Seven...Hundred....Ninety-Five....dollars????

:roll:

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:05 pm

That repaint looks good. 8) For that kind of dough, however, I'd expect the decals to blend in seamlessly with the background:

That "serial no." stands out like a sore thumb. Apparently, this is an ongoing issue with some of his models.

I thought this could be easily prevented by spraying a coat Dullcote over the decals? :?

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:47 pm

You may want to check your sources on that nitpick. :wink:

snake

Post by snake » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:56 pm

I have seen the JSI F-14 listed for less than $200.

This aircraft is priced at $800.

$600 for a repaint. :roll:

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Looks Good!!! But for that price I could buy bunch of 1:18th King Tigers! well someday....

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:06 pm

And yet they still sell. But then again the people that can afford the stuff are here considered fools and stupid. :roll: If ya got the money, why drive a Festiva when you can drive a Ferrari.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Keep in mind, total cost for my F-14 VF-84 "Cat Snatch" repaint was $311. This includes:

- Plane $220
- Decals $35
- Tamiya Spray $25
- Testor's Dullcote $15
- Testor's bottle paint $6
- Tamiya 6mm tape: $11

Turned out pretty good IMO. See spot repair thread.

snake

Post by snake » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:23 pm

vmf214 wrote:And yet they still sell. But then again the people that can afford the stuff are here considered fools and stupid. :roll: If ya got the money, why drive a Festiva when you can drive a Ferrari.

I understand your point,vmf214.

And these will be done in very limited numbers.So,if you own one of these,you will be in very select company.

But it is still a $600 repaint,of a $200 model. :roll:

More like a "pimped out" Festiva. :lol:

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:31 pm

Yes and you did it yourself and it doesn't have custom gear. Labor is worth something as well, something no one seems to grasp. Jack's clientel are people that don't build models, don't have any skills, and can afford them. He's high end, well known, and his prices are expected, and, apparantly, paid. Why thread after thread has to run on the subject of his prices is beyond me. We get it already.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:35 pm

snake wrote:
vmf214 wrote:And yet they still sell. But then again the people that can afford the stuff are here considered fools and stupid. :roll: If ya got the money, why drive a Festiva when you can drive a Ferrari.

I understand your point,vmf214.

And these will be done in very limited numbers.So,if you own one of these,you will be in very select company.

But it is still a $600 repaint,of a $200 model. :roll:

More like a "pimped out" Festiva. :lol:
Eh, regarding a Festiva, ya can't polish a turd, unless you're Joe Dirt. :lol:

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Guys I know they are expensive but lets not forget Jack has a small operation........Also I am drooling over his work and wish I could afford his stuff. 8) 8)

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:19 pm

One thing that needs to be considered too is that BCT needs its cut too so the price reflects that. I highly doubt they are selling this custom for free. :wink:

MG-42

* Willkommen !

Post by MG-42 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:39 pm

* Willkommen ze back ! ... aka Raiderad6 :o

- Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:31 pm

vmf214 wrote:You may want to check your sources on that nitpick. :wink:
Isn't the "Beware of the blast" text supposed to look like this or should the background be a darker shade of grey on this version?

http://www.markstyling.com/f14_new_2/F- ... cu.25b.jpg

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:46 pm

King O' Fools wrote:
vmf214 wrote:You may want to check your sources on that nitpick. :wink:
Isn't the "Beware of the blast" text supposed to look like this or should the background be a darker shade of grey on this version?

http://www.markstyling.com/f14_new_2/F- ... cu.25b.jpg
It depends on how the guys that painted the plane did it and if they wanted to repaint the smaller stencils or just mask off the entire area.

Not the same sqd in the example but doesn't change the fact how things get done in the real world. Even if it wasn't Jack's intention and purely accidental (which I doubt), it's still basically correct. I served with VF-1 & VF-2 and when the guys would repaint, even on fancy paint schemes, sometimes corners would get cut. In the event of silvering dullcoat can't cure the fact that air is trapped under the decal, only make it stand out flatter. Dullcoat also won't turn dark gray into light gray.

jetsmaniac
Corporal
Corporal

A newbie here

Post by jetsmaniac » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:01 am

Hi, I am the one who ordered this very first scheme. I feel like saying something.

It's a big hit to my pocket, sure, but I consolate myself by thinking my F-14 as a canvas. Canvas is cheap, but the combination of paints on it makes it expensive. Art is not an iPhone.

I have no iota experience of modeling. I experimented a lot, but often made more regress than progress. :evil: The worse thing is that I am a perfectionist, minus the skills. I can't achieve what I want to achieve.

So instead of keeping trying and taking psychological trauma, why not spend all at once and get a guaranteed result?

I am an a-hole when it comes to perfection, and I appreciate Jack's patience with me. I would beat my own brain out if I were him and had this customer. 8)

I plan to pass it on to next generation, so price tag isn't that catastrophic now. (Diamond is more useless to me, but men buy it to please women.) I get my landing gears fixed too. If I have to do myself, I would spend twice the money and still not get that level of results.

This is not the final product. I asked Jack to weather it, so even more exciting.:P

I envy you guys having mad skills and experiences. When F-14 kit comes out, I MAY PM some of you if I like your piece.:roll:

SkyWorksToys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SkyWorksToys » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 am

Stop criticize me or I will do like diva fantastic and remove my plastic, from the forum that is :D imagine black guy in dark shades doing rap : I do like plastic remove my fantastic .........
Any way I believe that simple answer to all questions is usually right one ,so somebody wonder why there is little silvering on bottom decal and why I did not fix decals or clear coated because I took picture ten minutes after I apply this decals I try not to loose light outside and share this wonderful photos with you my friends,what kind a modeler I would be if I clear coated freshly apply decals I already cut corners by doing decal after only two days of paint drying,there is also several other reasons ,jetsmaniac is a maniac of perfection (with all do respect to a great client) and hem being demanding customer is understatement we did have several discussions whats wrong whats right we send to each other many pictures some times he was right and some times I was ,what you did not notice an he did on a first pictures shark mouth and eyes are little bit to small if model was dull coated that would be forever with out possibility to fix .So the point is when you think you done set the model where you can look on it for several days you need time to notice things a specially when not only a paint but decal set was design for that model and then if everything is ok clear coat it, which I always do unless model does not call for it or customer specified other vise

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:42 pm

I think I might also chime in with my experience...

First, I agree that as a customer 600-700-800 seems like a lot and frankly IT IS! Considering the 200 price for the Canvas as it were.

BUT- Man, you try doing one of these bad boys and it becomes apparent really quickly that unless you are a modeler or have some paint skills the project becomes no easy task. YES if you have the tools, and LOTS of time you can save quite a bit of cash indeed.

I am doing a custom right now for a good friend here and because I care about the work and I have spent extra time I am set to make about 4.00 an hour on it and it's not a cheap repaint for the customer.

21C would usually pay 1,500 for the professional paint masters (which are basically about the same thing... paint on a model). So one way to look at it is that Jack is selling these for 1/3 or 1/2 the cost. NOT a bad deal.

Honestly, I have turned down a lot of work in this area simply because it's super super tough to make any real profit from it. You really have to want to do the project and expect some reward for the effort but I'm telling you- I could not pay a mortgage every month doing this without pulling my hair out. It's just a way to enjoy a hobby make some people happy with custom pieces and maybe take my wife to dinner and movie off the little profit that is made. ;)

I also agree that obviously these repaints and customs are not for everyone but there are those out there who see the value and can accept the strings attached.
FYI- I just bought a Spit Mk XIVe kit from Jack and I intend to put about 30 plus hours into that little plane when I take the cost of the kit and the paint and the time I will be into it somewhere around 550.00.

Can't wait to build that one... after I finish a pair of AWESOME F-14's for some patient friends.

SkyWorksToys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SkyWorksToys » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Only professional who experience what we do would truly understand.
Thank you VFM214 and TKO211 that is how friends are made

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am

SkyWorksToys wrote:Only professional who experience what we do would truly understand.
Thank you VFM214 and TKO211 that is how friends are made
No Jack, it doesn't take a "Professional" to understand what you do. Please pardon us modeling peasants for not grasping the concept of custom repaints.

If someone wants to part with almost $850 for a shipped, custom airplane, it's their money. If you can sell your product at that price, congratulations.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:33 am

As for professionals well I think Jack meant the business side of things as well.

Its easy for most experienced modelers to to do a custom paint job but to make make profit is another thing.

Jack also has employees and other business expense to cover as well.. and we don't know what the wholes sale cost is to bad-cat and to military toy shop is? they have to make money too.

Lets not get down on Jack, prices even TKO said the amount of time he puts into one is costly...remember time is money....

And I am Sure if TKO did this full time with employees he would be charging the same price, or close to it.
Last edited by VMF115 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:45 am

VMF,
The "language barrier" excuse can only be used so many times. A certain "platicfantastic thread" just came to mind. Jack's posts continue to reek of elitism. But hey, I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices this.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:50 am

NWarty wrote:VMF,
The "language barrier" excuse can only be used so many times. A certain "platicfantastic thread" just came to mind. Jack's posts continue to reek of elitism. But hey, I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices this.
Ok, how is this If had the talent that both TKO and Jack had I would be charging probably the same price.....how is that?

As for elitism no I think it is his pride in his work. lets not confuse the issue.

I think before any one does any more criticizing they should do a business plan first, also I bet the military toy shop and Bad-cat are making some money on this too! lest bash them for higher prices.

There is no reason to get upset over this topic, and complaining about it will not lower prices. there are way to many factors to determine the prices that are out of Jack's control.

This flaming of Jack must stop.

Lets be like little Fonzie's and all be cool. 8)