POST BBI CORSAIR FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:18 am

Well, this is starting to get heated. It doesn't matter in the end guys. We're fortunate to have both companies in the 1:18 mix, so just be happy with that. Both companies are learning from each other. 21st is improving the P-51 as we speak and they riveted the Avenger like that of the bbi P-51. Bbi, I'm sure, got some pointers off of the S1 P-51 and the Corsair. Yeah, they replicated those efforts, but the F-18 and F-16 were an astonishing foray into the jet set. Now, we all know that lessons were learned from the F-18's weak gear and weakly folded wings. 21st then introduced the F-104 with a far lighter plane and a stronger gear (from what I found).

It can only get better from here. With both companies kicking out stronger and stronger products, I truly believe that 1:18 is going to really take off. As each plane comes out, another group of collectors out there will get interested in our hobby. How many guys here have said, "Well, I'm not into planes, but I HAVE TO GET the Avenger?" The same was said about the Zero. Each of these aircraft affect a certain group of individuals, and that is a good thing. The selection of planes is better than ever, and with that is the realization that this isn't one of those obscure 3 piece collections. This is a full blown collector's catagory we're talking about. Hopefully, the vehicles will be backed in the same way. The Mk IV is a step in that direction......

Everybody will have a preference, and that is just fine. But, everybody needs to remember that we all are on the same side here..... Just my .02 cents worth.

-Ski
Last edited by Teamski on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:31 am

p51 wrote:
Now 21st has their Avenger and new tool Mustang coming soon
I've seen the Avenger in person and actually held it at Comic Con... and I can tell you 21st still rules the market. The Avenger is by far the most gorgeous looking plane I've seen yet. BBi's planes so far have NOTHING on it at all.
And I'm still sticking to the 21st Corsairs are very very well done and the BBi one is close enough that I really don't need to get it. Working flaps, some extra details... no thanks.

Well unlike you p51 I didnt have the chance to go to Comic Con and hold the Avenger and I'm sure its very nice but I wont make that judgement until its in my hands or I see the final product. You wanna say that 21st's Corsairs are very very well done thats fine thats your opinion. But when it comes to detail and accuracy bbi so far has 21st beat when it comes to the 2 Corsairs. I like working features on my planes, you dont? Fine your choice. Now 21st is starting to change all that and thats a good thing.

8)
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:50 am

JOC, How can you say bbi is putting it in your hand? The 21st corsair has been out 3 years? Wasn't that "in your hand" first? And the consensus is the planes are scarily similar. Mike says they didn't use the 21st bird and I believe him but you don't think they maybe looked at it? No....I'm sure they started with a lump of clay....
The bbi mantra is "wait and see" and we love them for it but when 21st tries to give a timetable they get killed. JOC, How can you say bbi is putting it in your hand? The 21st corsair has been out 3 years? Wasn't that "in your hand" first? And the consensus is the planes are scarily similar. Mike says they didn't use the 21st bird and I believe him but you don't think they maybe looked at it? No....I'm sure they started with a lump of clay....
The bbi mantra is "wait and see" and we love them for it but when 21st tries to give a timetable they get killed. If this keeps up I'm afraid all the Toy Fair Coverage will be like the bbi booth - it won't be

Digger,

bbi is "putting in our hands" first by delievering the Zero and its been in the planning stages for awhile. As for the Corsairs? Yes they have been "in our hands" for the last 3 years and a big "thanks" go out to them for doing that but never once in those 3 years have they thought about re-tooling it to bring it up to date. If they would have done that maybe the bbi Corsair would have been an after thought but they didnt. Did bbi look at the 21st Corsair before they released theirs? Maybe they did, maybe they didnt. NONE of us can say either way. This has never been brought up but I'll say it and thats that do you guys think that maybe 21st decided to re-tool their Mustang AFTER seeing bbi's Mustang? Its awful funny that 21st just up and decided to re-tool their Mustang AFTER bbi released theirs. Coincedence? Who's to say.

I agree with teamski this is getting to heated. We should be thankful we have both companies doin what they are doin right now because if it werent for either of them we wouldnt have what we have.

8)

Plastic Spastic
Corporal
Corporal

oops

Post by Plastic Spastic » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:38 am

Sorry guys, I just accidentally posted a corsair review in with my paras and Marines review. I should have split it up but I was frankly confused a little by the sticky threads covering more than one thing (list all finds of Paras, Marines, Spider-man series 235, Unicorns, back to school folders with Kittens on them, etc.) I'll pay more attention next time.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:28 am

this thread covers the bbi corsair....the other one covers figures. Simple.

Plastic Spastic
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Plastic Spastic » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:31 am

Thanks for um...yeah, I guess uh...thanks fer...clearin' that up, chief.

As I said, I'll pay more attention next time.

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:58 pm

Build it and we will come! If both companies want to produce the same stuff-it's ok with me! I'll buy one or more from each company! One may be better than the other, or both may be just right! Whatever the outcome, it just means MORE 1:18 for me to BUY!!!

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:59 pm

i agree
the better ones of each hangs on display. the worse one gets the battle damage on the field of armor. the early 21st P-51's are targets for the Bf-109G's and Fw 190D's. the new P-51D's can come to the rescue.

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:37 pm

I don't want 21C and bbi in competition to put each other out of business, I want them to compete to OUTDUE each other in producing MORE 1:18!! It's happening with the planes, let it continue with armor and figures!! The only one that both companies will make unhappy? My wife!!!!!!! (Now what're you buying?!)

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

yea

Post by digger » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:47 pm

This has never been brought up but I'll say it and thats that do you guys think that maybe 21st decided to re-tool their Mustang AFTER seeing bbi's Mustang?
Probably, that wouldn't surprise me.
I'm sorry you are getting "heated" MM. :? - I didn't mean my comments like that.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:00 pm

Me get heated over a discussion digger? No way buddy. We all have our veiws and opinions.

:wink:

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:27 pm

I'm a firm believer of the old adage that competition makes for a better product and I think we will be seeing that in future releases between BBI and 21st. :D

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:41 pm

Hey guys I did some work on my bbi Corsair today. Heres what I did. At my local hobby shop they had a busted up 21st Corsair that they couldnt sell so I offered them 2o bucks, yes 20 bucks for it! What I did is took the tail wheel strut and replaced the bbi one with it and took the main wheels from 21st and put those on the bbi Corsair as well. What a difference those two additions make. The bbi Corsair looks much better then before because now it has the right tail wheel with main tires. Theres nothing else to add except a motorized engine with working landing and cockpit lights but I wont go that far.

I'm just knocked out by bbi's Corsair guys I really am and I have to say that I'm more impressed with it then I was with their Mustang. Its my opinion only mind you but I think its the best 1/18th scale WW 2 aircraft made so far. That is until 21st comes out with their Avenger. I can only imagin what bbi's Zero will look like or if they ever do a Hellcat.

For the last time I want to thank bbi for making a Corsair. I was hesitant at first to by it (Thanks JOC I was able to get one) because I had the 21st version but I was glad I bought one because now with the fixed tail and landing gear it rocks like hell.

Now I wait for my re-paint Mustang and Zero!

The future is so bright I have to wear 8) !

digger

ever?

Post by digger » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:34 am

Whoa - MM, you need to get the Spitfire & the 109G before you can say "best ever" WWII plane :wink:
I think the bbi P-51 was more impressive than the Corsair b/c 21C's P-51 was so dated. But since the Corsairs are so damn similar (notice how easy that wheel switch was?) the new bbi version doesn't knock your socks off like the Mustang did. :roll:
I'm waiting for the Pappy's version with ground crew :P

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:34 am

Ok digger they are similar (or however you spell it) and yes the whell switch was easy. Still though I thinks its the best release in 1/18th so far!

:wink:

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:12 am

I'll reserve judgement until I see the Corsair in person, however I think you are really overlooking the 109G. It is just that good.......

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:23 pm

Hey MightyMustang..... How did you remove the pin from the main gear wheels on the bbi Corsair? Will the new wheels retract into the wings fully? How did you attach the tail wheel from the 21C Corsair to the bbi bird?

Just curious.

-Rob

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:33 am

USCGSARdog wrote:Hey MightyMustang..... How did you remove the pin from the main gear wheels on the bbi Corsair? Will the new wheels retract into the wings fully? How did you attach the tail wheel from the 21C Corsair to the bbi bird?

Just curious.

-Rob
me to
tellus please

boyx30
Sergeant
Sergeant

Just got mine!!!

Post by boyx30 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:15 am

Last night I come home from a hard days night...ummm I mean work...and there is this brand new BBI Corsair in my office... So I promptly pull out my Pappy to compare it with BBI's. I really wasn't interested in another Corsair but I have to say I definitely like the detail better on the BBI but not to a huge degree. The rivet lines seem better and of course the pilot is beyon comparison. I think the Zero will be the big test between the two companies.....just my two cents... Now I have this extra Brit Corsair that I don't know what to do with?

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:28 am

USCGSARdog wrote:Hey MightyMustang..... How did you remove the pin from the main gear wheels on the bbi Corsair? Will the new wheels retract into the wings fully? How did you attach the tail wheel from the 21C Corsair to the bbi bird?

Just curious.

-Rob
Hey Rob sorry about the delay in reply to your questions but things have been hectic around my house the last couple of days. I will explain what I did to the best of my abilities.

How I removed the main tires was I took a small screw driver and gently lifted the pegs out to the point where I could unscrew them. After that I took my extra 21st tires and put them in place and took a pliers and pressed gently down on the pegs until they went in and presto! New and IMPROVED main tires. And yes they fit into the wheel wells just fine with no problems at all.

Tail wheel. This was a tricky one but worked in the end. What I did was removed the tail wheel all the way up to the point where it swiveled and replaced it with the 21st tail wheel. I took a screw and put it in and again presto! It worked with no problems at all. This was the most part I worried about again it worked, thank god.

Before I put the prop on I did a little updating on the engine, adding wires and painting here and there and the end result was better then I expected. My bbi Corsair is now complete save for a few other little details I'm going to add. I'm a detail freak when it comes to my favorite airplanes and the biggest thing that nagged me about the bbi Corsair was the wheel well and main tires and thats about it. But I fixed that so I'm happy.

With a little time and patients you can make modifications and thats what I like to do. At this time I have asked a guy I know to make me a detailed Merlin Engine for "Hurry Home Honey" and by the time it arrives it should be done. I hope this helps those wondered how I made changes to the bbi Corsair and any other questions I would be glad to help out.

:D

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:05 am

THANX 4 the info.

HardenSteel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by HardenSteel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:54 pm

Hey Bud,

Got any pictures of your BBI Corsair upgrade?

HD

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:05 pm

Guys I wish I had a scanner to show what my Corsair looks like but unfortunatly I dont and it sucks.

:(

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:58 am

MightyMustang wrote:Guys I wish I had a scanner to show what my Corsair looks like but unfortunatly I dont and it sucks.

:(
Interested in your mods as well, and in terms of pics, if you've got pics on your PC or on disk, it's easy to transfer them to an image hosting site.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 am

Mighty,

Time to catch up with technology bud; get a digital camera, take pictures, upload said pictures to webshots, make a lot of people happy. :D I know that if I were at home right now, I'd be at least doing up a Corsair comparison album! (When I get home in September, I will be doing just that!!). Comon! Do your duty, sir! Be a man! :lol:

-Ski