Ranger's Recon: A-10...seems like it is here!!!..

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:51 pm

As bad as I want an A-10, I wouldn't kick an F-15 out of the sack :shock: .

-Rob

wise690
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wise690 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:46 pm

I think the box actually sits where you see the a-10 from a top view, that way the pilot is standing straight up when the box is on the shelf. I will probably get one since they are only $19.99. I also think gi joe fans might like this. I hope this isn't the future of the Elite Force line.

I noticed a smal box that slides in to the top of the fuselage behind the cockpit. You can see it sitting behind the main wing.

Does anyone have pictures of the chap mei a-10?
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton

KAMIKAZE
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:28 am

You guys are right,it's better than nothing.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:49 am

i think it's worse than nothing. It's tantalizingly close but unusable (in most opinions) and its existance may discourge the prodution of a true 1/18 scale one..

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:03 pm

You have a good point Aferg. Or maybe it will encourage the production of one that will be aimed at individuals such as ourselves and not generally to kids.

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

get them while they hot, boys!!!

Post by 75th Ranger » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:12 pm

get them while they hot, boys!!!

remember, the saying it is better to have one bird on hand than 10 flying....so for $19.99 get you A-10 while they are hot and when the real one comes out if it comes out, then you can still buy it!

take care.
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:23 am

I saw the shelf space for it at a local target saying 'A-10 THUNDERBOLT' at $19.99. They were moving the toy isle to another part of the store, so I figured they hadn't restocked yet. I'll stop next week and see if it's there.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:31 pm

I will be checking again tomorrow.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:33 pm

I went to the target today with an open mind... and there it was. The A-10. I was tempted to get it, though I found all of the FOV 1:72 aircraft so I got them instead.

My first thought when I saw it was 'That's not 1:18!' And it really is NOT 1:18 scale. May be an illusion all cut up in the box, but I spent a lot of time with A-10s at the POF airshow this year and I can tell you in comparison with the scale, it's waaaay too small. But overall, it wasn't too bad. I thought it might actually be something to get at some point. I was surprised actually, I thought it would be total crap... but instead it wasn't all that bad. IMO at least.

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:39 am

My local Target in Boynton Beach, FL just put out the A-10. As I first laid eyes on the orange box I broke with excitement but then as I approached the aircraft I started to get a sick feeling in my stomach. After closer inspection I noticed the "Elite Force" - "As Real as it Gets" name on the box. That was the real heart breaker. Almost cried.

It appears that this is an excellent child’s play toy with nice detail, sounds & features. Definitely not to scale and built to be rough handled during play.

I do hope the "toyish not to scale design" is not the future of the 1:18 Elite Force line.

bbi/Merit has done absolutely fantastic jobs on their ground breaking 1:18 scale aircraft thus far.

Please bbi/Merit... Continue to make true to scale 1:18.

Are you listening Anthony? Give us collectors a little reassurance and update the bbi website with some "coming soon" info.

Cheers
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

re

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:32 pm

Yup the true 1/18 scale stuff is still gonna continue. Command Force is mainly for kids. I personally like the A-10 a whole lot....I paid less for this than the smaller gijoe thunderwing!
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:32 am

For those that haven't seen any pictures of the Target line A-10, go to this link.

http://adctalk.com/index.php?showtopic=1996847

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:37 am

:shock:

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:01 am

Yikes! I'll have to pass on that one.

Knight26
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knight26 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:59 pm

Not loving that A-10, looks interesting but way too gimmicky and squished. Now, that Chap Mei A-10, if not for the turret would make a great Joe Scale A-10. I remember talking to a friend once and he said if you look at "Joe Scale" it doesn't really squash the plane (at least the old ones didn't) so much as take a scale plane and enlarge the cockpit to make it fit the GI Joe figures. The CHap Mei one really seems to do this pretty well.
Resident Aerospace Engineer, Rolling Airframe Missile Guided Missile Launcher In Service Engineering Branch, Naval Surface Warfare Center Port Hueneme Division .

Or the RAE-RAM-GMLS-ISEA-NSWC-PHD

How's that for a job title?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:57 pm

That's actually right.....Hasbro does the same thing with many of their Star Wars vehicles. Typically they are reasonably well proportioned 1/32 scale models with enlarged cockpits/interiors to house 4 inch figures. So that's why they tend to look pretty decent, just small. Since they are representing large vehicles you can get away with the 'cheat' of enlarging the crew area. That wouldn't work too well on a 1/32 Mosquito, for example...to enlarge the cockpit enough would make it look really bad but you could do it on a 1/32 B-29 and have it look ok.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

re

Post by Shin Densetsu » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:42 pm

Knight your here too? COOL!
So you changed your mind about getting the A-10? I still think its worth it man..its huge in person. But then again I like joescale stuff and theres more stuff coming in 2006...not to mention it only took 6 months to design and produce this thing..maybe less. Hopefully new jets that come later to the combat command line are better.

Did ANYONE ever find the chap mei A-10?

I got a soldier force chinook@dollar general for 10$...I assume this is part of the same line. And this is the first time I saw a big vehicle like that over at dollar general and I did hear that big lots was finally getting in more chap mei soldier force stuff.

From what I heard some fans did find the chap mei A-10 in the philippines.....but never heard of anyone getting it in the USA. tis a shame really...its more proportional than the rattler and is more in tune with an A-10. I admit it looks better than the BBI one too. Now if I could FIND it.....

I hope TRU gets it and packs it into their elite operations line. That way ALL of us could finally find this sucker.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

A-10

Post by 75th Ranger » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:49 am

A-10,

I saw the Target A-10, and I have to admit that it is not worth it!

I would not buy it, I also saw the other vehicles and the same ges for them, not worth buying.
On the other hand, the figures are pretty cool and for the price they are sure a great buy. I really think that the figures are ok. A little articulation of the wrist/hands would have made them really good.
The concept of the figures is actually better than the one of the previous bbi modern figures.

my 2 cents.
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

wise690
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wise690 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:31 am

I was thinking about getting this but after seeing the pics I changed my mind. I collect some G.I. Joe, but you have to draw the line somewhere. :(

Edit: I scrolled down on the joe forum to see the chap mei A-10. It looks pretty good except for the turret.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton

Knight26
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knight26 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:03 am

I swung by Target this weekend to see the thing first hand and I have to say I was underwhelmed. I picked it up, looked at it in its box and the thought that occured to me was that it had been squashed. The fuselage width and height looked true to 1:18 scale at points, but the way the whole thing was squished it looked like something for Playskool, except with nicer gimmicks and details. I have yet to see the Chap-Mei A-10 up close, but from the pictures I agree it is a better "joe scale" vehicle, except for the Rattler-esque turret. BBI obviously put some thought into this A-10, but it still falls well short, but I think that a true 1:18 scale A-10 would be well recieved. I know I would buy at least one, one to leave alone and another to detail the snot out of and maybe make into A-10C. Of course I am still planning to break open my BBI and 21st helos and prop drivens birds and put motors in to make the blades spin, not fast, but I do wonder how effective they would be as fans.
Resident Aerospace Engineer, Rolling Airframe Missile Guided Missile Launcher In Service Engineering Branch, Naval Surface Warfare Center Port Hueneme Division .

Or the RAE-RAM-GMLS-ISEA-NSWC-PHD

How's that for a job title?

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:42 am

Found this A-10 on e-bay. Its not to scale but they claim its 1:18. Look how they have an engine mounted on each wing and one on the tail. Very strange.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-Joe-Ultimate-Sol ... otohosting
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!