1:18 Bradleys

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
margras77
Sergeant
Sergeant

1:18 Bradleys

Post by margras77 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Hey,
After reading a book called House to House, I would love to add a couple Bradleys to my collection. Now, I know that FOV has one in a desert scheme. I know 21c has one and that JSI is reproducing it, but they seem to have a different interior.

So, what are the types? Are the FOV ones M3s and the 21c and JSI ones M2s?

I wish that Target still carried the 1 18 bradley. I prefer the FOV desert version.

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:40 pm

David Bellavia's "House To House" is awesome! I read it too.

Well, I own 21C's Bradley, and it is quite detailed and heavy. I like it - except of the awkward paint scheme. It is the M2 version.
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

margras77
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by margras77 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Is it the woodland-ish camo?
And Im not too familiar with this one part-is the troop area on the M2s ONLY the three seats, and the M3s the two benches?

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:34 pm

FOV makes a woodland and desert camo version, I have both. I also have the 21st cent. woodland camo version.
I actually saw two FOV bradleys at TRU a few weeks ago - after Christmas- kinda shocked me to see FOV 1/18 Bradleys.
21st Cent. is a little more detailed - the TOW launcher raises up and the firing sheild lowers when you raise it. Also, more hatches open on the 21st Cent. version. I like FOV's woodland camo paint job better than 21st. Actually I like the FOV desert paint scheme best of all of them.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

margras77
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by margras77 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Ill have to check back for more Desert FOV bradleys. How much do they cost at target, by the by?

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:14 pm

I read H2H a couple of months ago. Incredible stuff.

Nothing like the sound of a 25mm Bushmaster

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:08 am

Yep, H2H is a hell of a read.

I have the Desert Tan paint scheme.

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

Bradleys

Post by digger » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:36 am

The FOV version has the additional armor you see today, and is actually weathered quite nicely. It has enough playability that I would get this one. They were 20-30 at Target.

The 21C Bradley has awesome detail (at least a dozen moving parts, hatches, etc..) but is more accurate to the first Gulf War. You would want to paint a woodland one tan.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:56 am

The FOV version comes in desert tan and woodland cammo, and represents the current type of M2/M3 being used with the extra armor, etc. The FOV tank has rolling treads, rotating turret, elevating main gun, opening turret hatches and opening rear ramp with rear compartment. The compartment is detailed with the benches and the turret wall. You can fit 3-4 figures into the rear with two in the turret. The overall detail is good on the tank, but could be better, especially when compared to its 21c cousin.

The 21c Bradley is probably one of the best modern armored vehicles in 1:18. It comes in two variants: plastic construction in woodland cammo and diecast construction in desert cammo. The desert one is a replica of a vehicle used in Desert Storm. As digger noted, the 21c Bradley represents an earlier variant as was used before and during Desert Storm. It does not have the added armor and sports the rifle ports along the sides of the hull. All hatches open: driver, commander & gunner, rear compartment upper hatch, rear ramp and door. A number of other hatches storage hatches open as well, including rear storage boxes, infrared sensor on the turret, etc. The TOW launcher raises and lowers and can be opened as well. The rear compartment is detailed with three seats, ammo boxes, and two stowed TOW missiles. The driver's compartment is detailed with the seat, controls, and periscopes. Unfortunantly, the turret has no interior and the figures stand in the hatches. You can fit 3-4 figures in the rear compartment, two in the turret, and one in the driver's compartment.

If I had to choose one over the other, I would go with the 21c Bradley simply due to the overall quality of the piece. However, if you can, I would try to get both. They compliment each other well, being different variants of the same tank. The FOV version will be the easiest to find.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:27 pm

The 21C Bradley seems to be pretty sturdy, thanks to its die-cast construction. Even though there are so many small and filigree looking parts, I think it is very durable.

The only thing I have to "criticize" is the - at least a bit - odd-looking paint scheme. The grey looks more like silver if you ask me.

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Post by trex0770 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Here's some pictures of my Bradleys:

margras77
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by margras77 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Nice pics!
Is there any way you could take some of the rear compartments of each?

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:19 pm

I have a custom one. :D

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 pm

i like the FOV Bradley better, despite the lack of moving parts, just because i like the more modern look to it. The 21c Bradleys both had cruddy paint jobs too.

My biggest knock against the FOV is that the TOW launcher is fixed in place. I made mine movable by pulling it off, cutting off the plastic nubs that hold it to the turret and making a hinge out of a strip of tin, super glued to the side of the turret. It works well, able to go up and down now but the door on the front of the launcher doesn't open of course. Still, it's better.

Neither troop compartments are very spacious or accurate.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:30 pm

wow, they are looking good. Are they still available? Where can I get one of those? I'd love to have the one wearing the Desert Tan.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:49 pm

the FOV Bradley is nice. It's a wonder that they didn't follow it up with something better than the cruddy LAV they made. I'm sure these did well at retail.

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Not to much into modern armor but there are about 12 FOV Bradelys at my local ToysRUs for $25. They are all woodland camo, but I might as well get one in case my tastes change.
Is that you John Wayne, this is me!!

digger

Post by digger » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:55 am

cranedriver wrote:Not to much into modern armor but there are about 12 FOV Bradelys at my local ToysRUs for $25. They are all woodland camo, but I might as well get one in case my tastes change.
You sure those aren't LAVs?

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Nope they are the Woodland Camo Bradleys and the same 12 have been there since before Christmas. I did pick up the last of the BBI WWII guys they had there for $2 each. I havent seen the LAV at this paticular store I guess they have no space on the shelf for them because all the Bradelys taking up space.
Is that you John Wayne, this is me!!

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Post by trex0770 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:56 pm

margras77 wrote:Nice pics!
Is there any way you could take some of the rear compartments of each?
Sorry it took so long! Here you go:

and here's a bonus...the M113:

and hoping someone makes this someday!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:06 pm

pssst....chap mei....steel badger