POST BBI CORSAIR FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 am

Mighty Mustang:
Your historic information on the BBI Corsair made very interesting reading. As with my other Corsairs, I researched photos of the pilots and have them displayed with the airplane. I am now able to do it with the BBI Corsair, Thanks to You. I just wanted to tell you that a Corsair with your AOR on it, will be taxing onto the tarmac sometime early this afternoon. I wanted the flight schedule to St. Paul filed before I left. I will email you the tracking number and ETA later tonight when I make my pit stop.
Take care
JOC

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:32 am

Thanks JOC! I do the same as you as far as doing research on the planes I get from Bad Cat. I've done that with "Killer", my Kepford Corsair, "Snortin Bull", "Marines Dream", and I'm currently doing more research on Capt Petersons "Hurry Home Honey".

Thanks again though JOC for the update!

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:02 pm

Picking up on what HardenSteel was saying about quality between the 2 companies in the beginning 21st's quality and accuracy wasnt very good, their first Mustang series is an example. With their new tool Mustangs it seems that they have come along way from the early days. I dont know bbi very well because I dont know to much about the early days but with their Mustang and now Corsair you can see that they are setting the bar as far as accuracy goes. Their Mustang blew me away plain and simple but it seems they have gotton even better with their Corsair release from what I've seen. I can just imagin what they have going on behind closed doors with their next release. Will it be even better then what we have seen so far? Time will tell. 21st have taken a major step as well with the upcoming Avenger and Mustang. The competiton between these two companies is going to get very interesting I think. But hey I'm glad we have both companies doing what they are doing because without them god knows what we would be talking about! :shock:

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:11 pm

HardenSteel wrote: This begs a question - who does the design for BBI? Does Roy do some stuff for them, as well?

HD
Lol.. You guys crack me up.....
As I recall, Roy Sutherland is the PRESIDENT and CEO of 21st.. Not just the "mastermodel" builder.. Which I am curious to see how he qualifies as a "master" unless he carves these by hand.. (just being sarccastic) :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:10 pm

Roy is a master modeler.
i have one book he wrote and another on order from amazon.com about D H Mosquito's.plus he is doing a 1/32 cockpit for a Fisher Model's British Sea Fury kit. that and running a 21st design dept. putting out stuff like F-104 makes him a master in my sights. i read somewhere that the old P-51 and me-109 were before his watch.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:12 pm

No, i believe Roy is just the head of new product development...one of the top dogs but Jim Allen is still the boss.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:40 pm

KAGNEW wrote:Roy is a master modeler.
i have one book he wrote and another on order from amazon.com about D H Mosquito's.plus he is doing a 1/32 cockpit for a Fisher Model's British Sea Fury kit. that and running a 21st design dept. putting out stuff like F-104 makes him a master in my sights. i read somewhere that the old P-51 and me-109 were before his watch.
No, i believe Roy is just the head of new product development...one of the top dogs but Jim Allen is still the boss.
Thanks guys, it just goes to show you learn something new everyday.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:49 pm

MightyMustang wrote:I just wanted to put this email I got here. I came from the owner of the "Marines Dream" website:

Thanks for your nice comments about our website. It's obviously a work in progress! Yes, I know about the models. Marines Dream is painted to represent the Corsair flown by Ken Walsh in 1943. This scheme was selected at the time of restoration because Ken Walsh was the first Corsair ace. He was flying with VMF-124.

Terry

Its nice to know that bbi's version of the F4U they did represents a Corsair flown by Maj Walsh who was the first Corsair Ace and a Medal Of Honor winner. The "Marines Dream" website tells about the restoration of the Corsair and has photos of the plane and so fourth. Its a new website and they are just getting started on it with more to come. If anyone is interested about the site let me know.

8)
I searched all over the place (on the internet) for Ken Walsh's paint scheme, and I have not found any sort of photographic evidence of him flying White 19. Does anybody have such evidence? I would like to add it to the profile album, but I'm rather doubtful that White 19 even existed. So far, I have only seen his White 13 birdcage........

-Ski
Last edited by Teamski on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:52 pm

I've found a ton of photos of him in White 13, but nothing in White 19 so far.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:33 am

Well I guess the guy who runs the "Marines Dream" website is a liar then huh?. Go to "MarinesDream.com" and email a guy named Terry and he will tell you what he told me.

:?

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:03 am

I'm not calling him a liar. I just would like a photo or profile of the original for the profile album. I will definately E-Mail him......

.....E-Mail sent.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:08 am

No one called anyone a liar MM. I'll just ask the original owner and restorer of the plane Ray Dieckman :-) He's a regular at the Planes of Fame Museum.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:52 pm

Hey p51 I love the photo. I'm glad your going to ask Ray because then we will get a conformation one way or the other. Really though it dont matter to me because I like the color scheme on the bbi bird whether its accurate or not. Having a replica of an Air Show Corsair aint bad. I'm just happy to have Corsair that looks better then what 21st put out.

I wonder if 21st is going to re-tool the Pappy Corsair when it gets re-released as part of the legend series?

digger

Post by digger » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:44 am

MightyMustang wrote:I wonder if 21st is going to re-tool the Pappy Corsair when it gets re-released as part of the legend series?

I doubt it. With how similar the too birds are they probably won't bother with small upgrades like bbi did with their Corsair.

I think 21st is now tooling 2 more jets so I doubt they're also retooling S9 of the Corsair :roll: I think they said it will have a fresher paint job, collector packaging, ground crewmen with tools and Boyington himself :D Can't beat that for $54. 8)

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:20 am

I WISH THEY WOULD DO A MATCHED SET WITH
PAPPY'S FLYING TIGER P-40 AND BLACKSHEEP F4U

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:48 am

I got my corsair last night at TRU and its awesome. It was hard putting the main wings on. But once I got her togethet couldnt help flying her around the room like a little kid. My wife thought I was nuts and my 2 1/2 year old daughter thought I was having a good old time. And she was right. :D

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:42 pm

Just checked with FedEx and my Corsair will be arriving tomorrow! Cant wait. Now all I have to do is wait for "Hurry Home Honey" next month and bbi's new Zero which hopefully pics of it will be posted on Bad Cats website soon.

:)

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:32 am

Just got my bbi Corsair today this morning guys and what a beauty. Putting it together was a chore but once I got it together "Marines Dream" looked great. The only complaint I have with it is the tail wheel which is wrong but other then that no complaints at all. It beats the 21st Corsair in every way. Hell bbi did a more accurate engine then 21st. I cant say enough about it. I WAS going to switch the wing assemblys but thats out because it would be a crying shame to do that to the bbi Corsair. I know this my Ike Kepford Corsair will now go up for sale because it has been replaced.

BBI has got 21st beat when it comes to the Corsair and if anyone says otherwise they are either blind or their loyalty to 21st is very strong which is ok because I'm loyal to them as well. But I'm also being realistic. If bbi keeps turning out product like their Mustang and Corsair 21st will have their hands full. I can only imagin what bbi's Zero will be like! Now 21st has their Avenger and new tool Mustang coming soon and for me that will tell the story and who is getting better then who.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:50 am

i agree.
i won't sell my 21st Corsair, but it now is on reserve duty.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:49 pm

I didnt sell my 21st Corsair but gave it to a freind of mine who only collects 21st stuff no matter what bbi does, although even he admited that the bbi Corsair was very nice. Now I wait to see what the Zero looks like!

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:18 pm

San Antonio fully stocked with new Corsairs!

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:23 pm

And for those who dont have one yet, get one, you wont be dissapointed. I know I'm not.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:27 pm

Now 21st has their Avenger and new tool Mustang coming soon
I've seen the Avenger in person and actually held it at Comic Con... and I can tell you 21st still rules the market. The Avenger is by far the most gorgeous looking plane I've seen yet. BBi's planes so far have NOTHING on it at all.
And I'm still sticking to the 21st Corsairs are very very well done and the BBi one is close enough that I really don't need to get it. Working flaps, some extra details... no thanks.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:40 pm

P51:
With all due respect, not all of us here, had the opportunity or chance to go to ComicCon and actually "hold" the Avenger in their hands. I truely value your expertise and judgement, but until we too get to hold the Avenger in our hands, sometimes the old adage, a bird (plane) in the hand is worth two in the bush. At least for us, BBI is putting things in our hands, and not just toying with "when and if it will be available."
If this sounds like flaming, that was not my intention. I too have all of the 21st Corsairs, but I also have the BBI Corsair. Sometimes maybe flaps that move, move some and not others. IMHO.

digger

No flame at all

Post by digger » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:48 am

JOC wrote:P51:
With all due respect, not all of us here, had the opportunity or chance to go to ComicCon and actually "hold" the Avenger in their hands. I truely value your expertise and judgement, but until we too get to hold the Avenger in our hands, sometimes the old adage, a bird (plane) in the hand is worth two in the bush. At least for us, BBI is putting things in our hands, and not just toying with "when and if it will be available."
If this sounds like flaming, that was not my intention. I too have all of the 21st Corsairs, but I also have the BBI Corsair. Sometimes maybe flaps that move, move some and not others. IMHO.
Well, you don't need the Avenger to know where the Bar is set - get the F-104, if you can find somewhere they are not sold out :shock: The fact that a more obscure bird is selling out so fast is a testament to the detail on it. Until you have 21st's newest release, you really can't talk about where the bar is set.

Until the Zero comes out, bbi hasn't taken the first crack at anything WWII, which is always harder I'm sure. Let's stay grounded folks - 21st is constantly improving with every AC, they are making accurate wartime schemes, they are showing new product ahead of time (which only manages to piss us off :roll: ) and they are keeping us figure guys happy at the same time :wink:

JOC, How can you say bbi is putting it in your hand? The 21st corsair has been out 3 years? :? Wasn't that "in your hand" first? And the consensus is the planes are scarily similar. Mike says they didn't use the 21st bird and I believe him but you don't think they maybe looked at it? No....I'm sure they started with a lump of clay.... :roll:
The bbi mantra is "wait and see" and we love them for it but when 21st tries to give a timetable they get killed. If this keeps up I'm afraid all the Toy Fair Coverage will be like the bbi booth - it won't be :o