JSI P-38 Lightning Review

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
YT
Officer - Brigadier General

JSI P-38 Lightning Review

Post by YT » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:07 pm

I posted a review with pictures over on the Fighting 1:18. http://forums.fighting118th.com/showthread.php?t=803
Here is the text if you are interested:

I received my JSI P-38 Lightning from Badcat yesterday. I had pre-ordered and was very pleased on how quickly the whole transaction went down. I am fairly new to 1:18 collecting and had missed out on P-38s in brick and mortar stores. So I was very pleased when JSI burst onto the scene with their offering, although Putt Putt wouldn't have been my first choice for a paint scheme, it will do. I was really impressed with the packaging, it is much better thought out and sturdy than 21st stuff. They really nailed a "high end" collector look. Is that really necessary for online only offerings? I guess time will tell. My planes get taken out and displayed pretty quickly and the boxes are relegated to the harsh garage attic. I was impressed with how smooth everything of went to together and I couldn't see any issues with the paint or details. The weathering looks good, better than 21st and not quite as pronounced as BBI. I am no expert on the subject, but it looks pretty great to me. I really wish they would have included a pilot, but I was lucky enough to have picked one up when the first pictures surfaced sans figure so I give them a pass, I hope everyone else can. Is it worth a $100 shipped? I would say yes and in fact I would buy another scheme it they end up doing something interesting. Sorry for the pic quality, I snapped em quick with my iPhone and it's camera leaves a lot to be desired.
Last edited by YT on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:17 pm

Nice review, too bad you can't view the pics on the other forum unless your a registered member.. :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

pickelhaube

Re: JSI P-38 Lightning Review

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:21 pm

YT wrote:I posted a review with pictures over on the Fighting 1:18. http://forums.fighting118th.com/showthread.php?t=803

I received my JSI P-38 Lightning from Badcat yesterday. I had pre-ordered and was very pleased on how quickly the whole transaction went down. I am fairly new to 1:18 collecting and had missed out on P-38s in brick and mortar stores. So I was very pleased when JSI burst onto the scene with their offering, although Putt Putt wouldn't have been my first choice for a paint scheme, it will do. I was really impressed with the packaging, it is much better thought out and sturdy than 21st stuff. They really nailed a "high end" collector look. Is that really necessary for online only offerings? I guess time will tell. My planes get taken out and displayed pretty quickly and the boxes are relegated to the harsh garage attic. I was impressed with how smooth everything of went to together and I couldn't see any issues with the paint or details. Although I am not sure the no step decals on the underneath of the tail section are correct. The weathering looks good, better than 21st and not quite as pronounced as BBI. I am no expert on the subject, but it looks pretty great to me. I really wish they would have included a pilot, but I was lucky enough to have picked one up when the first pictures surfaced sans figure so I give them a pass, I hope everyone else can. Is it worth a $100 shipped? I would say yes and in fact I would buy another scheme it they end up doing something interesting. Sorry for the pic quality, I snapped em quick with my iPhone and it's camera leaves a lot to be desired.

Well this new board is new to me.

It looks like they think my stuff is a bit pricey.

Espicially my Sagami mounts and my Pavehawk kits.

It took me about 4 hrs or more to make the masters and about an hr to make the castings not to mention the RTV.

Also it takes about 8 + hrs to make the full Pave Pawk kit. Not counting paint and the resin.

Also what about the full week it took to make the masters ?

Too pricey ? What is a full week compaired to $130 ?

Oh well. They also seem to be.........

Forget it .
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

YT

Post by YT » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:48 pm

Pickelhaube, I wouldn't take it personally, if I didn't have a frame of reference from building resin models and knowing how pricing works for the "garage" producer, I would probably not understand your pricing either. The quality of your product stands on it's own merit. hworth18, I guess I didn't realize that non-members couldn't view pics, sorry about that. You should sign up, it is a different culture than here, not necessarily better or worse, just different. Those guys brought me into the hobby.

snake

Post by snake » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:10 am

I left that board.Not on good terms.

Too many right wing NRA "card carrying" members there.

Really into their GI Joes,and guns,and their second ammendment rights,if you get my drift.

Wanted to talk diecast,but they have political threads as well.I mixed it up on their anti Obama threads,and was presented with a bunch of Bill O'Reilly's hurling personal insults,and attacking me.

I chose to leave that site,as they seemed more concerned with keeping up their right wing policies,and less concerned about taliking diecast.

Only reason I am bringing this up is because a fellow board member is talking about what a great site it is.

I disagree.Strongly.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:13 am

great review!!!!

remember keep it clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Lets not start a flame war between 1/18th boards
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

YT

Post by YT » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:17 pm

YT wrote: I guess I didn't realize that non-members couldn't view pics, sorry about that. You should sign up, it is a different culture than here, not necessarily better or worse, just different.
snake wrote: Only reason I am bringing this up is because a fellow board member is talking about what a great site it is.
????????????????????????????? :roll:

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:37 pm

Hey....I'm in the NRA....:(

flyboy_fx

Re: JSI P-38 Lightning Review

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:48 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
YT wrote:I posted a review with pictures over on the Fighting 1:18. http://forums.fighting118th.com/showthread.php?t=803

I received my JSI P-38 Lightning from Badcat yesterday. I had pre-ordered and was very pleased on how quickly the whole transaction went down. I am fairly new to 1:18 collecting and had missed out on P-38s in brick and mortar stores. So I was very pleased when JSI burst onto the scene with their offering, although Putt Putt wouldn't have been my first choice for a paint scheme, it will do. I was really impressed with the packaging, it is much better thought out and sturdy than 21st stuff. They really nailed a "high end" collector look. Is that really necessary for online only offerings? I guess time will tell. My planes get taken out and displayed pretty quickly and the boxes are relegated to the harsh garage attic. I was impressed with how smooth everything of went to together and I couldn't see any issues with the paint or details. Although I am not sure the no step decals on the underneath of the tail section are correct. The weathering looks good, better than 21st and not quite as pronounced as BBI. I am no expert on the subject, but it looks pretty great to me. I really wish they would have included a pilot, but I was lucky enough to have picked one up when the first pictures surfaced sans figure so I give them a pass, I hope everyone else can. Is it worth a $100 shipped? I would say yes and in fact I would buy another scheme it they end up doing something interesting. Sorry for the pic quality, I snapped em quick with my iPhone and it's camera leaves a lot to be desired.

Well this new board is new to me.

It looks like they think my stuff is a bit pricey.

Espicially my Sagami mounts and my Pavehawk kits.

It took me about 4 hrs or more to make the masters and about an hr to make the castings not to mention the RTV.

Also it takes about 8 + hrs to make the full Pave Pawk kit. Not counting paint and the resin.

Also what about the full week it took to make the masters ?

Too pricey ? What is a full week compaired to $130 ?

Oh well. They also seem to be.........

Forget it .

Or just say..... Go buy from skyworks :lol: :twisted:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:51 pm

VMF115 wrote:great review!!!!

remember keep it clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Lets not start a flame war between 1/18th boards

FLAME WAR!!!!!!
WTF I will just start shooting melted plastic at them and posting pics of barbies :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: oh wait im a member there....
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:52 pm

popeye357 wrote:Hey....I'm in the NRA....:(
so im I :wink: well.... :wink: :wink: :wink:
--Samuel Beckett

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:23 pm

snake wrote:I left that board.Not on good terms.

Too many right wing NRA "card carrying" members there.

Really into their GI Joes,and guns,and their second ammendment rights,if you get my drift.

Wanted to talk diecast,but they have political threads as well.I mixed it up on their anti Obama threads,and was presented with a bunch of Bill O'Reilly's hurling personal insults,and attacking me.

I chose to leave that site,as they seemed more concerned with keeping up their right wing policies,and less concerned about taliking diecast.

Only reason I am bringing this up is because a fellow board member is talking about what a great site it is.

I disagree.Strongly.
Guess I won't be going over there any time soon.
:shock:

Luckily Aferg put that to rest over here once and for all...for now. :?

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

P-38 Question

Post by parrish333 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:11 pm

So I have a minor question on the JSI/21C P -38: any tips for helping the side cockpit door to stay up? Mine keeps sliding down. Cool that it works like the real thing, would just be nice if my pilot didn't have wind blasting in at 400 mph :)

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:16 pm

PARRISH333:

I have two 1/18 P-38s---the 21st Century "California Cutie" and the JSI "Putt Putt Maru"---and both have the canopy problem.
I used Elmers Glue to keep the side canopy section to stay up.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:14 pm

I think Dragons solution using Elmers glue is a good one, in this case if you ever wanted to open the side canopy... just put some water on it and the glue will dissolve.

I have the series 1 P-38 and had the same problem with the Canopy window...........

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Sorry Snake,

I removed it because there is no need to tarnish your image here. Hope you can accept the apology.

Ron
Last edited by pcsguy88 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.fighting118th.com]Fighting118th:[/url] Joe Deserves Better!

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:04 am

wow pcsguy88,

Seems like you are bringing the negativity and personal attacks from that site, here.

One of the reasons I left.

What seems to be on your personal agenda,that you are bringing this up now?

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:47 am

snake wrote:wow pcsguy88,

Seems like you are bringing the negativity and personal attacks from that site, here.

One of the reasons I left.

What seems to be on your personal agenda,that you are bringing this up now?

This thread was just pointed out to me tonight by a fellow SSHQ member. I have no personal agenda. Only fair both sides are seen since you felt the need to trash talk some great guys that share their time together on many forums including this one.

Have a good night.

Ron

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:59 am

If that forum is so great why don't you buzz off and stay there it looks like a POS if you ask me :x
Nev

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:54 am

tankduel wrote:If that forum is so great why don't you buzz off and stay there it looks like a POS if you ask me :x
Nev
Thanks for the input Tankduel. Any opinions on how to improve the site is welcome. As you can see above, I did the right thing.

I have been a lurker here for several years and a member for almost 2yrs. I like that many members visit both boards because each offers different views on subjects. I am also a member at RCU, like you and aferg for my 1:16 fix. The reason the other place exists is because those that play with Joes and love real 1:18 vehicles didn't fit in here or at hisstank, so we made our own place and it's a great place to discuss the toy and model side of 1:18. SSHQ is a great place to research historical accuracy of WWII vehicles for customs.

Now everyone group hug.

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:08 am

I mixed it up on their anti Obama threads,and was presented with a bunch of Bill O'Reilly's hurling personal insults,and attacking me.

That's funny stuff there. A few of them make O'Reilly look like a liberal. :lol:

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:30 am

pcsguy88 wrote:
I mixed it up on their anti Obama threads,and was presented with a bunch of Bill O'Reilly's hurling personal insults,and attacking me.

That's funny stuff there. A few of them make O'Reilly look like a liberal. :lol:
Wow! Right wing freedom loving, gun owning Americans! I'm signing up right away! Who would have thought that we have Military toy (er, collectible) collectors who dont like gun owning, strong defense minded, Freedom loving Americans?! :lol: Maybe collect Daisies and butteflies? :wink:

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 am

Bad form, from both forums.

And, yes, i am a member of both.
I Tan I Epi Tas

norman888
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by norman888 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:03 am

Using Bill O'Reilly as an example of far-right views????? You must be a bit more left than you even realize :lol:

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:10 am

norman888 wrote:Using Bill O'Reilly as an example of far-right views????? You must be a bit more left than you even realize :lol:
O'Reilly is fairly centered on a lot of his views, I think he just likes to bully people and call them stupid. It's the smaller AM radio hosts that get a bit radical. :twisted: