1/16 RC M16 Halftrack

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

1/16 RC M16 Halftrack

Post by ostketten » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:00 am

Rumor at the RC boards is these will be available on the North American market sometime in 2010. Looks very nice, includes 2 figures, and and will feature 5 channel proportional control. As the funeral dirge for XD 1/18 armor slowly fades into the background, 2010 promises to be a very good year for 1/16 armor.... 8)

http://www.torro-shop.de/index.php/catalog/shipping.php
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:51 am

My only knock against it is that it is not all wheel drive (front wheels do not provide drive) like the real thing.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 pm

LOLL... Yeah, I guess you're right... sorta like the JSI F-14 doesn't have real jet engines... :lol: :lol: I suppose it would be really nice in terms of realism, but a feature like that would come at a tremendous increase in cost... we're talking about a TRANSAXLE here... very, very complex to implement in an RC model, nuff said.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Actually that was a complementing comment meaning that was it's only fault.

I do know all about trans-axles, front wheel drive transmissions and differentials. Glad I entertained you. :lol:

Oh and the JS F-14 is a static display model, nuff said.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:25 pm

Glad I entertained you
I wasn't trying to bust your chops or anything, I just wanted to point out that a feature like you were suggesting, ie. independent front wheel drive and steering, would likely come at a huge increase in complexity and, and perhaps most importantly, cost. The bottom line is, I think there is a limit in what we can expect from a sub $200 RC model... with or without spots.. :lol:

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:42 pm

Sure came across like that.

Look, I have $300, $800 and some over $1500 tanks and to me I would pay to make them as real as possible. If it were more expensive with the front drive, then so be it. I would be more happy paying the extra amount to make it less toy-like but it isn't, so came the comment.

Take it lightly and as an informative reply to those who did not know about it's feature ... the model or the real thing. :roll:

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:29 pm

I believe the tankzone uk price is 178 pounds, which was around $290 I guess the 5 channel radio is spiking the cost, I sent an email to their site but no response now, as I really don't want to order from overseas, but I don't want to miss out on a 1/16 r/c vehicle.

DH

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:46 pm

If you really want one, wait and please don't order it from them. They are a bit higher than everyone else. One guy on RCU ordered it from the manufacturer but I would wait to see who picks it up on their inventory.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:42 pm

For those who do not know, the main drawback in the 1/1 German half-tracks was the lack of a powered front axle.

It was a drawback but certainly did not hinder their performance... much. :wink:

The lack of a powered front axle in this 1/16 White half-track model is not a drawback in my view. I'll be getting one after they are released and reviewed. Gone are my days of buying a model blind after buying the all metal DID 1/6 Sdkfz 251 as a pre order for some heavy tink and finding accuracy problems. I still have and like the model but should have waited to see reviews. I could have save a few bucks but would still have bought it. :roll:

My advice, wait until we actually see this 1/16 M-16.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

bananapirate
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bananapirate » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:46 am

Someone reviewed it on another board, can't remember who or where though..

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 pm

I'd like to see that review, you know, that review on that vehicle by that manufacturer on that site.

Know what I mean?

If it is as good as it seems, rc with working .50 turret and firing simulation, wow, at $200 or around, I'd be in for that in a New York minute. :roll:

TTT

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:I'd like to see that review, you know, that review on that vehicle by that manufacturer on that site.Know what I mean?
TTT
There is a review that includes a description, pics and video that one of the members of the RC Tank HQ forum wrote. Wa San are also sending one to me to write a review about. :D
Nev

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:21 pm

TD:

Can you tell us where this review is?

I've been all through the RC Tank HQ forum and find no mention of a halftrack.

TTT

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:03 pm

It's on the forum ,(membership required), you'll also find a pic of the Matorro Jagdtiger in there too.
Nev

bananapirate
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bananapirate » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:35 pm

its based on the Trumpeter kit, so it has the metal frame rails and is molded really nice (like the T-34) and the tracks are rubber bands, but the real one had rubber band tracks IIRC so it would be accurate.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:22 pm

FYI - The "real" 1/1 White and Intnl half tracks had what were called "endless" tracks that were hard rubber with steel cables moulded into the track. If they broke, the tracks were unrepairable, they were replaced. Extended riding on pavement wore out the tracks.

The tracks were very good, mileage were good on them but after the war and we gave 4,000 half tracks to Israeli, the Israeli's made a replacement new formula rubber track that will outlive any half track. They are great.
Why am I not suprised? :wink:

TTT

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm thinking of re-fabricating the drive unit(s) to use a front piece like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D2

Not that it needs it, but because it had it. :D

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Here's a pic that Wa San sent to me including the box with the Wa San logo

I'll be doing a write up/video of this soon.
Nev

EDIT, had to remove a couple of pics since they showed up way oversize for this forum, rest of the pics here www.rctankhq.com

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:43 pm

That is quite badass.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!