POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
usmcchet9296
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by usmcchet9296 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Due to xmas I couldnt pay off my Cat but I did put a hundo down on it at my local hobby shop. Cant wait to get it and paint over the spots.
USMC CHET
John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:40 pm

I finally go the ladder to operate. It took many tries with an exacto-knife.

Here are the pics if any of you need help locating the exact area (and yes, the 25th G.I. Joes do fit nicely as I used Hawk and that "Hot Dog" Ace):

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:45 pm

STARMAN 352 wrote:Well i used the Gojoe on the standard verson and then used the Pro Modeller Black weathering wash on it...I was always planing on using the weathering with this standard version. It turned out better then the spots being on there. This does take more time using Gojoe and it's not bad
but i think repainting it would be easier to do. I will repaint the other version i have like Zach did to his.
Ordering the Pro Modeller Black Weathering...RIGHT NOW!

Where can I locate GoJoe, and how do I apply it? I'll get mine Tuesday, I want to be ready to go the second it gets here :)

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:29 pm

Have any of you guys used sakura micron pens? They offer a brush pen for $2, and I use that for weathering. I just use the brush pen and a tissue or napkin.

Basically you brush on a generous amount of ink along and around the panel lines. Let it sit for just a bit, then wipe off with the tissue. You get a weathered appearance for cheap. Made some of my Transformers look completely different, night and day!

The end result is that your brush marker's faux brush is destroyed over time but what the hell I don't like using those for drawing anyways, I prefer real sable brushes.

Yet for weathering? BRUSH PEN FOR ME! Just a suggestion for those of you working the gojo on the surface of these planes.

BTW the gojo with post weathering looks great!
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Got my F-14 today 8)

This plane is amazing! Easily one of the best and most intricate 1:18 planes yet made.

There were very few paint errors on mine... only the black around the cockpit was a little misaligned between the cockpit section and the main fuselage. That will be an easy fix. The spots are not perfect by a long shot, but for the time being, I will leave them.

Still trying to take the whole thing in :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Have shipping charges been about the same for the various online retailers for the F-14 model?
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

CessnaDriver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CessnaDriver » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:40 pm

I just discovered the glove vanes will deploy. :)

Cool walk around to learn about the Tomcat...

http://anft.net/f-14/f14-detail.htm

wolfman1973
Corporal
Corporal

Wing expand

Post by wolfman1973 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:25 am

When your guys F-14 wings expand is the paint job where the wing is covered not finished?

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:20 am

CessnaDriver wrote:I just discovered the glove vanes will deploy. :)

how that work?
whats up doc....

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:23 am

well badnews buy

because all the gripe about spot cat mert might not do another run... what you got is it...mert will not order any more from jsi so great... we got a great bird but that is all and no su or f15...

that is just great...
whats up doc....

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 am

Sabrefan wrote:Have shipping charges been about the same for the various online retailers for the F-14 model?
Looks like most are charging 30.00. My regular was 30.00 from BigBadToyStore, but foxhole toys charged 40.00 for my special edition :-(

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:37 am

well i hope that no one blames the gripers, if that is true. JSI brought this on themselves. I doubt there would ever be a repeat of this incident, so once emotions calm down i'm sure there will be more products from JSI. This spotted tomcat will still probably sell out in time and future runs of it and other big jets will be even more popular, assuming they don't have spots.

I'm sure JSI has learned a good lesson from all of this.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:38 am

Well I see some have gone through and done their entire bird already. Too much work for me to get done with three kids nipping at my heals. I got half the top side done last night. It sure is labor intensive but for those that don’t want to or can’t do a repaint it’s a viable option. My problems with the repaints are the small decals like “no step” on the wings etc. They just won’t look right and I would hate to loose them altogether.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:46 am

I don’t think it’s fair at all to blame people for being discontent with this plane. It’s like having a Ferrari and encapsulating it in petrified poop. Then selling it for top dollar. I have two of these monsters and I am pissed that they did this to it. If stating that makes me a griper then so be it. Everyone notices it. My wife saw the plane for the first time the other day. She knows nothing about these planes and didn’t even know what it was. The first thing she said is “what’s up with those spots?” A buddy of mine came by last night and said the same thing unprovoked. It’s noticeable and not just to the collector. Even kids think it look dumb. This was a big mistake by JSI and I personally hope they get a good slap in the arse for it. You can’t sell a product and just expect that everyone who buys it will fix it themselves or just live with it. Returns will happen. People will be pissed and retailers will be hiding behind their no return policy. What a mess.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:06 am

P47faninchicago wrote:Used tamiya sky grey diluted 50/50 with a little white added and used it to blend in the spots with my Iwata airbrush. I am very happy with the results. Took all of 45 minutes.[Imageimg]
I hope you aren't going to shoot it down with that MG-42/MG-34 in the background.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:31 am

"What is this broken F-14 part?"

I assembled my F-14 and then found a broken part on the floor and don't know where it came from.
It's roughly rectangular, about 1/2" long and is T-shaped when looking at it from the end. It broke on the T-end.
Does anybody know what this broken part is?

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:10 am

"well badnews buy

because all the gripe about spot cat mert might not do another run... what you got is it...mert will not order any more from jsi so great... we got a great bird but that is all and no su or f15...

that is just great..."

-So what is this I hear about Merit and JSI not producing another run/F-14. Is this a joke, observation or real?

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:14 am

dragon53 wrote:"What is this broken F-14 part?"

I assembled my F-14 and then found a broken part on the floor and don't know where it came from.
It's roughly rectangular, about 1/2" long and is T-shaped when looking at it from the end. It broke on the T-end.
Can you take a pic.

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:14 am

Can you take a pic?

CessnaDriver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CessnaDriver » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:17 am

Black_Dragon_One wrote:
CessnaDriver wrote:I just discovered the glove vanes will deploy. :)

how that work?
For the glove vanes I needed to put an exacto tip in to pry a little to get them to swing out.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:35 am

I found that as well. I looked over the plane very carefully, and could not find where it came from. I thought it was originally part of the airbreak, but no (though one of the lower airbrake pushrods on my plane somehow came out). It could be from somewhere inside the plane. However, as others are reporting finding this piece as well, it may just be a little extra "surprise" thrown in by JSI. I may use it as a brace to hold up the canopy in the open position :wink:
Last edited by tmanthegreat on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:35 am

TKJAER21:

I don't have a camera, but here's a drawing. The shaded area is where it broke off. The part is about 1/2" long.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:02 am

I found one as well and couldn't figure what it was for since everything on my plane worked fine. I'm assuming its just something to hold another something in place while its in the box.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:11 am

Black_Dragon_One wrote:well badnews buy

that is just great...
Again, where did you hear this? Merit, JSI?

Is there any validity to this or is it just someone's off the hip comment?

If this is true, looks like JSI learned the worst way they could learn from what some people were hoping for.......so much for hoping to see them do a better job with future releases.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:15 am

I doubt if they are all of a sudden quit making more 1/18 aircraft or discontinue the F-14 line. So far it seems even with spots the plane is a success.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.