POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:51 pm

NWarty wrote:Overall, I do think it looks okay, not great, but okay. Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed in the finish from what I can see in the photos.

toyktdlgh,
I think you're right in that we should hold off on the shotgun blasts until we have it in our hands.
so which is it? does it look okay or do you hate it? you sound like you hate it so much, but you are still buying one, i'm confused? hmmmmmm?

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:14 pm

F14guy,
It looks OKAY, but let me say that I'm disappointed in the finish. From what I can see in the photos, the production model could have looked much better than what's been shown. I've posted questions to Merit that still have not been answered.

Yes, my Tomcat is already paid for. Can I fix the serious issues it might have? Absolutely. Should I have to fix those issues? Absolutely not.

I'll let my wallet do the talking in the future as this is the first pre-order I've ever made on anything for fear of not being able to get one in the future. My combat incentive pays from my recent deployment funded this purchase and was already set aside. If the Tomcat shows up at my front door and I have to spend an additional $50 in paints and supplies to fix her, it'll be my last purchase from JSI. I like this hobby, I don't need JSI for my fix.

Perhaps you saw my post as a flip-flop; your opinion. But I'd take a good, hard look at your track record here and BCT before calling me or anyone else out on the carpet.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:30 pm

dude if it wasn't for this forum as my wife clearly pointed out, i would never gave a damn about polka dots or anything else you have brought into lite this in forum. i came to this forum looking for people who share the same enthusim as i about the first 1/18 tomcat, and then you started or someone else started posting concerns about polka dot weathering and etc, so i figure what the heck why not help my forum buddies out and try to get merit and b-cat to post some pics of the plane. bad cat pissed me off by telling me i can't voice my opinion and by telling me to back off, it had nothing to do with the tomcat at all. you don't tell people who are paying customers to back off, thats bad business, specially an ex-marine who understands far to well what the costs of freedom is all about. besides fussing at me isn't going to make the tomcat look any better, thats jsi's job.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:47 pm

F14guy,
[EDIT] Lemme be honest and tell you, at times I have no idea where you're coming from. One moment you told Bad Cat Rob to go eff off, the next you're calm and enthusiastic and returning to their blog and apologizing to them, then calling forum participants "retarded".

I honestly don't get it dude. It's like multiple personalities with a light switch. If I'm wrong, tell me. I'm not trying to be rude but it seems that's how you're coming across on this forum. Others have mentioned it also.

Like you, I enjoy this hobby, but it's one of many I have. I have a relatively small collection of 15 1/18 birds and nine 1/32 aircraft compared to other fellas on this forum. I am neither a rivet counter or a nit-picker. I was an art and history major in college, like to illustrate and paint, both ink and canvas. I'm also getting back into scale models after a six-year absence. I like to think I have a pretty good eye for artistic interpretation. The minute these photos were posted, both in-production and post-production, something with the finish did not seem right with me. My opinion and my dollars.

With a family and two boys, my purchases for "toys", whether they're models, R/C, computer peripherals, etc. a few and far between. I want to see good value for my money. JSI has shown they could do it with the Corsair and Lightning. But something doesn't sit right with the Tomcat.

Like I said, I'm not a nit-picker, but simply pointing out the obvious. I've seen enough "1/18 Zombie Collector" posts around the web. I thought it was important enough to bring up. If we're not critical and constructive in our critiquing the examples set forth by companies like JSI, how the hell do we ever get them to improve?
Last edited by NWarty on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm wondering why JSI painted the TCS lens red.

The plane doesn't look as spotty as earlier pics but it might be because of the lighting. I'm not sure.
perhaps someone who is still getting one (hint me) should take some pics of it in proper lighting, no flash or background reflections of light, and post them. but that could be a few weeks.
Planning on it.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Let's them off the hook totally...good thinking guys. Also makes me wonder what other problems this bird might have. I mean if they can't even do a decent weathering job, what else is wrong with it? Wrongly painted ordnance...minor but annoying. Saggy undercarriage maybe? Wings that don't swing well, no pilot, we already know the answer to that one.
  • Inaccurate A-model Tomcat for VF-84
  • Wrong gun vents
& more.

IMHO JSI should have just tooled up an older block A model initially, that way it would be accurate for the majority of color schemes most fans want on an F-14A.

Then use the current mold for Black Aces/Black Knights(later years).

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Whoa..didn't realize I double posted
Last edited by Shin Densetsu on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:29 pm

I'll probably be lambasted here but I've preordered one and hopefully will get the special edition with lights as well (keep me on the list Foxhole!). I'm not liking the splotches and was one of the first to comment on them, but I love 1:18 scale aircraft and havent found anything new to buy in a couple of years. What was the last one? The Night fighter 262? Hec, I need to get my fix of 1:18 so bad that I just cant let this F-14 go! Im counting the days :-)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:40 pm

you know, i don't care at all about the other minor flaws that people have pointed out. Those things i've come to expect from mass produced items. And overall the paint job is fine. All they had to do was not paint spots on it. Just have left 'em off and everything would be hunky dorey.

But it has spots, all over it, top and bottom and over the markings as well. They look ridiculous, they look completely unrealistic and at any price point this should never have happened.

I'm definitely not getting one with spots. I'll take my chances they'll be another one someday, of whatever paint scheme, that is better finished. In the meantime i'll be quite content with the r/c Tomcat i've talked about. Has the same markngs as this one, is the same size, is cheaper, has white undersides, which i prefer and it hasn't got one spot on it.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:53 pm

i give you guy a review on the special edition on sunday night...

after work

Johnathan from avatornut will hook me up with on... so i let you know the color...

he has the special edition at heros something on sat if you want to buy some but i can only get it from him after work on sunday.

so i let you know whats up... if you want it early you can order from him
whats up doc....

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:59 pm

Does it mean Aviatornut already has access to the special edition planes?

It would be helpful if any of you could please provide some pics when you get a hold of one of them to see exactly how they look.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:33 pm

Spots, did someone say Spots! :)

Couldn't resist! :)

So I suppose we should send every JSI F-14 model that has been produced to the cutters to be cut up or melted down like the real Tomcats were. Then it will be how many more years before we have a 1/18 aircraft?

Every model that has ever been made in 1/18 has had its problems and flaws. Look at the BBI F-16 and that guy in Greece who is customizing it. That guy is redoing the entire model because he wants it to be more realistic. It shows just how inaccurate these toy/models are that he is redoing it basically from scratch. For someone who wants a decent representation of an F-16, in a durable form, the BBI airplane is probably fine, like it is for many of us. For those that think they need to be taken to the next step, they customize, which many are doing such as that guy from Greece.

Another thing to consider is that product cost has gone up considerably since the BBI F-18 and F-16 were made. That's true for all items from gas to groceries. Anyone look at how much their grocery bill has gone up in the past few years? These industry costs are being passed to consumers in every business, from toys to groceries to technology. I'm sure you would be very hard pressed to find any industry or business that has not raised product costs over the past couple of years. Even tickets to events have gone up in costs as the cost to produce the events goes up. The bottom line is, no company is going to purposely lose money and charge less than what they have actually made the product for. This is a big airplane, lots of plastic. I'm sure that reflects the cost of the model. I am 100 percent positive if we get a rerelease of the BBI F-18 and F-16 one day, they will cost more than they did in their other runs. I honestly think this may be why BBI has held off reissuing those planes, they know they will cost more this time around. Given the way it seems collectors react to the prices, I can see why they are not producing anything. It also doesn't make sense to complain about price when many of the smaller scale products seem to have a going rate of $40 to $50 a model, sometimes more. And in my honest opinion, these companies each have their own pros/cons with paint finish as well.

Everyone who has preordered this has the option of backing out of it. If this plane has truly upset you that much and you are that disappointed with it, that's what you should do. If you don't feel it's worth the price anymore, you should do the same thing. That's really the bottom line here. If you don't like it, don't buy it. As I recall, there isn't anyone being forced to buy this or put it in their 1/18 display.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:54 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:Spots, did someone say Spots! :)

Couldn't resist! :)Corey

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:00 pm

For what it's worth, this is the real thing in 1989:

snake

Post by snake » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:00 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:Spots, did someone say Spots! :)

Couldn't resist! :)

So I suppose we should send every JSI F-14 model that has been produced to the cutters to be cut up or melted down like the real Tomcats were. Then it will be how many more years before we have a 1/18 aircraft?

Every model that has ever been made in 1/18 has had its problems and flaws. Look at the BBI F-16 and that guy in Greece who is customizing it. That guy is redoing the entire model because he wants it to be more realistic. It shows just how inaccurate these toy/models are that he is redoing it basically from scratch. For someone who wants a decent representation of an F-16, in a durable form, the BBI airplane is probably fine, like it is for many of us. For those that think they need to be taken to the next step, they customize, which many are doing such as that guy from Greece.

Another thing to consider is that product cost has gone up considerably since the BBI F-18 and F-16 were made. That's true for all items from gas to groceries. Anyone look at how much their grocery bill has gone up in the past few years? These industry costs are being passed to consumers in every business, from toys to groceries to technology. I'm sure you would be very hard pressed to find any industry or business that has not raised product costs over the past couple of years. Even tickets to events have gone up in costs as the cost to produce the events goes up. The bottom line is, no company is going to purposely lose money and charge less than what they have actually made the product for. This is a big airplane, lots of plastic. I'm sure that reflects the cost of the model. I am 100 percent positive if we get a rerelease of the BBI F-18 and F-16 one day, they will cost more than they did in their other runs. I honestly think this may be why BBI has held off reissuing those planes, they know they will cost more this time around. Given the way it seems collectors react to the prices, I can see why they are not producing anything. It also doesn't make sense to complain about price when many of the smaller scale products seem to have a going rate of $40 to $50 a model, sometimes more. And in my honest opinion, these companies each have their own pros/cons with paint finish as well.

Everyone who has preordered this has the option of backing out of it. If this plane has truly upset you that much and you are that disappointed with it, that's what you should do. If you don't feel it's worth the price anymore, you should do the same thing. That's really the bottom line here. If you don't like it, don't buy it. As I recall, there isn't anyone being forced to buy this or put it in their 1/18 display.

Corey

I would agree completely with Coreyeagle on this.

I am not overly concerned about the finished product,from the pictures I have seen.

A couple of months ago,people were begging that this model would be done.
"I'll take one,even if it's pink" and all that.

Granted,it could look better,but it is still a 1/18 SCALE F-14 TOMCAT! 8)

If you want it,buy it.

If it has too many issues for you,don't buy it.[/b]

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote: Another thing to consider is that product cost has gone up considerably since the BBI F-18 and F-16 were made. That's true for all items from gas to groceries. Anyone look at how much their grocery bill has gone up in the past few years? These industry costs are being passed to consumers in every business, from toys to groceries to technology. I'm sure you would be very hard pressed to find any industry or business that has not raised product costs over the past couple of years. Even tickets to events have gone up in costs as the cost to produce the events goes up. The bottom line is, no company is going to purposely lose money and charge less than what they have actually made the product for. This is a big airplane, lots of plastic. I'm sure that reflects the cost of the model. I am 100 percent positive if we get a rerelease of the BBI F-18 and F-16 one day, they will cost more than they did in their other runs. I honestly think this may be why BBI has held off reissuing those planes, they know they will cost more this time around. Given the way it seems collectors react to the prices, I can see why they are not producing anything. It also doesn't make sense to complain about price when many of the smaller scale products seem to have a going rate of $40 to $50 a model, sometimes more. And in my honest opinion, these companies each have their own pros/cons with paint finish as well.

Corey
I agree with you 100%. Another word for it is called inflation and its growing at a faster rate then ever before. Many investors are looking at investing in precious stones or gold before it gets really ugly. And saving your money away in a bank somewhere won't help a whole lot either. Using an inflation calculator what would cost you $250 now could cost $1841.44 fifty years from now. Though this is only an estimate the real truth remains. Just look back 50 years in history and there you go.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:15 am

I'm definitely not getting one with spots. I'll take my chances they'll be another one someday, of whatever paint scheme, that is better finished. In the meantime i'll be quite content with the r/c Tomcat i've talked about. Has the same markngs as this one, is the same size, is cheaper, has white undersides, which i prefer and it hasn't got one spot on it.
Hey aferg, have you get built one of those 1/18 or bigger models and wired it to fly? I've seen videos and it's something I want to do eventually, they look awesome in flight and fun to fly.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:37 am

So what's the current inflation rate in the US? And in China?

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but unless the aggregate figure is well over 100% I can't see how the price hike can be attributed to a higher inflation rate. These Just-A-Toy planes have gone from $100 to $250 in the last year, so unless JSI is paying those Somali pirates a nice ramson for their F-14s, I can't really see how inflation can justify such an increase in price point. Quite simply because there has been no spike in production costs (oil prices have been down).

From what I see here that's not the case:

http://www.bls.gov/CPI/

In fact, according to this page (Consumer Price Index for the United States), annual inflation is down:

http://www.rateinflation.com/inflation- ... n-rate.php

(Besides, we've had etailers tell us, repeatedly, that the new price point was the result of shorter production runs aimed at a very narrow niche market made up entirely of hardcore 1:18 scale collectors, instead of Ye Olde WM Patrons. So, no, this has nothing to do with inflation.)

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:59 am

King O' Fools wrote:Does it mean Aviatornut already has access to the special edition planes?

It would be helpful if any of you could please provide some pics when you get a hold of one of them to see exactly how they look.
i do not own a camera so i can only give review of it.. can not wait three more day
whats up doc....

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:03 am

King O' Fools wrote:So what's the current inflation rate in the US? And in China?

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but unless the aggregate figure is well over 100% I can't see how the price hike can be attributed to a higher inflation rate. These Just-A-Toy planes have gone from $100 to $250 in the last year, so unless JSI is paying those Somali pirates a nice ramson for their F-14s, I can't really see how inflation can justify such an increase in price point. Quite simply because there has been no spike in production costs (oil prices have been down).

In fact, according to this page (Consumer Price Index for the United States), annual inflation is down:

(Besides, we've had etailers tell us, repeatedly, that the new price point was the result of shorter production runs aimed at a very narrow niche market made up entirely of hardcore 1:18 scale collectors, instead of Ye Olde WM Patrons. So, no, this has nothing to do with inflation.)

it most likly not very much abought inflation as it is abought qaunty produce per profit,,,, i do not think they are able to sale 500k of these thus price goes up to cover cost....
whats up doc....

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 am

Black_Dragon_One wrote:
King O' Fools wrote:So what's the current inflation rate in the US? And in China?

it most likly not very much abought inflation as it is abought qaunty produce per profit,,,, i do not think they are able to sale 500k of these thus price goes up to cover cost....
Exactly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_scale

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:11 am

King O' Fools wrote:
Black_Dragon_One wrote:
Exactly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_scale

i do not fault them on making a living...or profit....because i have to make a profit at work to pay my bill too
whats up doc....

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:14 am

come on f15,,,,f15,,f15...go f15.....also go su go su go su

please let them make these and i buy them
whats up doc....

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

REAL TOMCAT

Post by supersonicfifi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:42 am

here are the real pictures of a product model :

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/badcattoys_2083_57471638

see more on badcataviation !

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/badcattoys_2083_57611504
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 am

PRODUCTION MODEL :

1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?