New 1/16 R/C tanker here

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

New 1/16 R/C tanker here

Post by NWarty » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Hey guys, posted this on rcgroups.com also

Well, I finally succumbed to the madness!

I ordered my Tiger I from rccommand.com this afternoon after doing a slew of research on the HL tanks, places to buy, upgrades, watching youtube videos etc. Ended up going with the standard Tiger I with metal gearbox and the 2000mah pack; figuring I'd get the hang of this beast first before diving into aftermarket upgrades.

I'm mostly an electric plane/heli guy but any advice for a first time r/c tanker would be greatly appreciated.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge too

Blake
Olympia, WA

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks for stopping by. There are some here that don't cotton to any discussions off their particular scale/forum.

I have a bunch of 1/16 tanks. One thing you want to do FIRST on your tank is to open it up (un screw the upper and lower hulls and inspect the on off switch wiring BEFORE plugging in the battery)

My Heng Long Jadgpanther smoked the battery and harness as the leads soldered on the switch were touching and created a direct short of the battery. My switch was "on" when I took it out of the box and after I had plugged the battery in the lights and noises were normal. However I couldn't get the battery inside the compartment so I turned the switch "off" and boy it instantly smoked.

Repair was a new switch/battery and harness. Switch was rewired as rccommand recommends.

Last tank I got was the KV-1 and waiting for the Sherman.
DH

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:36 pm

DH,
Thanks for the heads up and something that I didn't see after spending a lot of time on Bill's site. Will definitely check out the switch.

I had contemplated going with the Matorro KT, but quickly realized that a metal gearbox, idle wheels and sprockets would push the cost up significantly.

Some of the things I'd like to eventually do, is go with the Creeping Death turrent and go with metal tracks.

Can't wait till this baby arrives next week.

Blake

bananapirate
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bananapirate » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:40 pm

I have the KT and have run it several times outdoors. I feel it's fine without the metal components

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:49 pm

I have two FOV 1/16th scale tanks, and I love them.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:11 pm

I haven't bought a 1/16 yet, but plan to this year coming up... Probably a Tiger-I first, as it's a favorite of mine.

The upcoming Sherman? It's glorious.

I don't think anyone here looks down on talking 1/16... It's "close enough". Most have even pushed me to getting into them. I'm less likely to unload all my 1/18 tanks now though, but the thought is there, at least on duplicates anyway.

I wish Kubels were a dime a dozen because I'd love to see one getting mowed down by that upcoming Shermie though. Oh mama!

Do they ever sell 1/16 tanks that are beat up for cheap? I'd kind of dig putting interiors into some and just ditching the electronics all together.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm sure if you go to one of the RC tank forums you could get enough parts and pieces to put one together, most of the guys there upgrade just about every part they can to metal, also I think Mato sells hulls and turrets separately.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks Ram.

I want to get into RC ones, but I'd like some statics just to do an interior with now and again, mostly so my XD guys have a nice home to hang out in.

Once I start buying I'm going to have to start thinking about which tanks to keep in 1:18 and which to sell. I have dups of a lot, so things may be down to just one of each I think.

There's so many 1:16 tanks it'll become a challenge as to which ones to buy, actually. Or a challenge on how I can display all of the different variations. A Sturmtiger? Unbelievable.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm

before you get too excited about 1/16 tanks Jesse, you'd better get one and see if you like it. They're very much larger than 1/18...kind of tough to collect both in the same collection. 1/16 and 1/18 don't sound much different, but they really are.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:14 pm

Went to American Eagles hobbies in Seattle this morning after doing some business in town and picked up a single action airbrush, paint, etc.

My Tiger I is arriving on Monday. She'll soon be painted up to represent one of the Kursk Tigers, 502 sPzAbt, 1943. :twisted:

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:21 pm

I don't think I'd display them together... I think I'd only keep my 21st tanks (1 of each) for sentimental reasons... My figures and support armor/vehicles would all get displayed with the 1:16 tanks though, ultimately, probably simply because there's more variety than 1:18 appears like it'll ever get.

If that makes any sense...

Like you've said in the past, the support stuff looks ok with the 1:16 tanks. But 1:18 tanks next to 1:16 tanks don't, and I can accept that. Selling 2 Shermans off, or an extra Tiger-I 1st series isn't such a big deal then to me. I pondered selling off all 1:18 tanks I had and just moving up to 1:16 all together save for the support stuff and figures. At this point though, I think I'd just move my 1:18 armor to its own display shelf, all together, and be happy I have a relatively complete set of 21st Cent's armor as a collection.

I honestly don't have much hope seeing new armor in that scale at this point. Nothing high quality anyway, for a fair price. At best, something may slip into the online retail market, but for what? $100? More? That's not really fair considering these 1:16 tanks sell for little more, are more detailed/higher quality, and more variety to boot. We pine away for a King Tiger in 1:18, but one exists in 1:16... and a Sturmtiger, Jagdpanzers, variations of Pz3's, a Sherman now with an actual light at the end of the tunnel for Sherman variants...

My halftracks, trucks, and Kubels/Jeeps will look dandy next to them I figure... as well as the army of troops I've amassed. And if 1:18 should come back to life at all, I've got my collection and can buy if I feel like it. I just don't have much hope for its future anymore, much less its future at any kind of relative value. They're nice toys, they're pretty nicely detailed, but the 1:16 tanks are simply better in most ways, and there's little argument to be made against that, sadly. :cry:

I've gotten to see several of the 1:16 in person now. Local hobby shops are carrying them in abundance it seems, usually for a hefty mark-up. I'll buy online though, as everyone seems happy with theirs... I'll probably wait till post-Christmas, but if I see one cheap enough, I could easily see me cave and get one beforehand.

I just need to figure out what's the best option to buy, and where the best places are to pick them up I figure.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:18 am

I hate to be a jerk and bring up this again, as I know I've asked this and cannot find all the answers again, but here's the deal...

I'm being offered a Christmas gift of a 1:16 tank, my first, and so I'm chomping at the bit here... Can the 1:16 RC gurus please point me in the right directions as to what I should order, where from, and all that jazz?

I have my pick of the litter... Tiger's, jagd anything, and Shermans are my top choices as far as armor goes, but the Sherman's a bit new I know and so I was thinking the cost may be higher. I'd like to not get a "break-the-bank" tank first though, and to the person offering me this for my gift this year, and so I'd like to go under $100 for the price if possible.

Any advice? I know a couple of you guys have helped in the past and I really would appreciate anything you can say again. Thanks so much guys.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 am

I would suggest RCCOMMAND, check it out here: http://www.rccommand.com/tanks.php You should be able to stay within budget with some of the offerings there.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:14 am

Not that I don't belive you guys when you say the difference between scales is obvious but I was wondering if someone had comparison pics, maybe a couple of Tigers?

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:41 am

someone posted pics a while back, as I myself said the same thing 1/16 to 1/18 that's only a little bit, but the scale works out to be about 10-11% bigger which is a few inches larger all around.

try searching in the forum...not sure what key words you might want to try

DH

as for Jesse James I'd siggest a Panzer MKIII.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Here ya go! :o

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:55 pm

Pz. III? Do they have multiple companies producing them, and if so which company would be better?

A lot of guys I recall mentioning a specific battery to get with it, and stuff... Does metal tracks/wheels matter comparedt o plastic?

That's also the kind of stuff I'm curious about.

I love German stuff (besides Shermans and other WW2 US stuff) the most, so a P3 would be right up my alley to get me kicked off into it. A nice plain grey would suffice too which I believe that one comes in most commonly from what I remember seeing.

I've got a start... Any help's appreciated by the way. I was sort of hit out of the blue with being offered this for the holidays as a gift, so I actually hadn't thought about it much lately figuring I'd buy sometime next year on my own.

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 pm

All the panzer III's you are looking at are most likely Heng Longs.
The panzer III and Stug are very good runners.
Whether or not you should get metal tracks etc is up to your budget and taste.
Metal tracks and wheels run more realistically and are sturdy. They are also heavier and cost more leading to upgrades and that's how it starts.

I have 3 HL's and 1 Tamiya and all have metal tracks and wheels, and it makes such a difference.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:58 pm

If you want a Panzer III, then please tell whoever's gonna buy it for you to make sure buy the Heng Long "Smoke and Sound" Panzer III.

If they're feeling generous, also ask for the steel gears and tracks. :)

The plastic tracks are good enough, but if you're gonna drive around the backyard, metal tracks with steel gears will make your tank run better through uneven grounds, grass, rocks, etc.

Some good places to buy:

www.rccommand.com *NOTE* This estore is currently having some trouble with customer service. I still recommend this site because I've had nothing but good experience from them, and they are working hard to rectify their unresponsive customer service.
*EDIT* It seems like a bunch of people are being run around by this company, so until those numerous transactions have been resolved I'd advice against ordering from this outfit.

www.matomart.com very good site to buy 1/16th tanks. Customer service is decent.

http://www.rctankwars.com/Products.asp

Even though I've yet to order from rctankwars, if you google them up, you'll hear nothing but positive things about that company and its owner, Phil. He's a great seller and hobbyist, and wouldn't mind answering your question, no matter how noob-ish it is. :)
Last edited by GooglyDoogly on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:58 pm

I thought I'd get a stock HL Tiger and play with it....nope....

Three weeks later and I have metal sprockets and idlers, photo-etched intake grills, metal track links and hangers, S&T productions resin Panzer Commander, new smoke unit, new airbrush and compressor, and a ton of new paint, tools, accessories, etc. :shock:

The aftermarket is addicting! :lol:

I have a work in progress (WIP) thread over at rcuniverse.com

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:07 pm

NWarty wrote:I thought I'd get a stock HL Tiger and play with it....nope....

Three weeks later and I have metal sprockets and idlers, photo-etched intake grills, metal track links and hangers, S&T productions resin Panzer Commander, new smoke unit, new airbrush and compressor, and a ton of new paint, tools, accessories, etc. :shock:

The aftermarket is addicting! :lol:

I have a work in progress (WIP) thread over at rcuniverse.com
Ooh you must post pics of your tank here as well! I especially want to see your work on that S&T figure. That's one of the best 1/16th figure ever made.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:20 pm

Yeah, too bad the S&T products Commander is missing the alternate left arm for the cupola :evil:

I have an email into coloradominiatures for a replacement arm. The phone number listed for S&T is no longer in service. Looks like I might have to saw, pin, and fill to get the arm at the correct angle.

And yes, it's a beautiful figure :D

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:54 pm

just about all my 1/16 tanks were bought from Matotoys. I got metal tracks for the PzIII but didn't put them on, I did get a set for my Bulldog and make a great change, heavier and more mass, just like a tank should weigh.

Looking forward to more 1/16 stuff. Next up should be the half track.

DH

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:53 pm

Tigers for Popeye Image

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:23 pm

GooglyDoogly wrote:If you want a Panzer III, then please tell whoever's gonna buy it for you to make sure buy the Heng Long "Smoke and Sound" Panzer III.

If they're feeling generous, also ask for the steel gears and tracks. :)

The plastic tracks are good enough, but if you're gonna drive around the backyard, metal tracks with steel gears will make your tank run better through uneven grounds, grass, rocks, etc.

Some good places to buy:

www.rccommand.com *NOTE* This estore is currently having some trouble with customer service. I still recommend this site because I've had nothing but good experience from them, and they are working hard to rectify their unresponsive customer service.

www.matomart.com very good site to buy 1/16th tanks. Customer service is decent.

http://www.rctankwars.com/Products.asp

Even though I've yet to order from rctankwars, if you google them up, you'll hear nothing but positive things about that company and its owner, Phil. He's a great seller and hobbyist, and wouldn't mind answering your question, no matter how noob-ish it is. :)
Thanks Googly... I'm thinking I'm leaning towards rctankwars.com because I hear good things on them as well. Mato's in Canada, no? I've heard they ship for a significant increase then due to that, to the U.S. R.C. Command is a good one too I hear and seemed to have more selection...

Do any of these tanks become difficult to find?

And can anyone give an idea on run-times, charge times, and the like?