1/18 Tiger

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Brutal

Aslav
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aslav » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:13 pm

gliderdwm wrote:Brutal
Nope, I must be wrong, that custom seems quite good. Historically accurate paint job, probably. I'm no expert.
There was another turkey a while ago selling a out of proportioned, Zimmerit coated Jagdpanther. Looked really odd, but his eBay add told of his greatness and high starting price. I think he re-listed a few weeks later at $250, then down to $150 or something like that.

edit: found the post on custom 1/18 jagdpanther, but the eBay link is expired.
B/S/T Contacts : exether_mega, Fritzkrieg, granch (x3), Grilledcheese, trigger1 (x2), USCGMK2.

Aslav
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aslav » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:40 pm

SolidSnakeEyes wrote:Is it just me, or is the whole "anti tank mines dangling from a tank turret," a bit wonky? haha
I had a good look at his pic's, and in all fairness the Tellermines are slung at the rear of the stowage compartment.
Although adding to your view, why would a Tanker conserve anti-tank mines when he has a BIG BLOODY 88mm to destroy any thing the Allies or Reds throw at you.??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
B/S/T Contacts : exether_mega, Fritzkrieg, granch (x3), Grilledcheese, trigger1 (x2), USCGMK2.

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Again, has anyone asked him where is pattern came from?
Best,
-Paul

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Well

Someone should help him out.... :D He has got talent .....just not the right taste in camo.....
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Aslav
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aslav » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:00 am

flyboy_fx wrote:Well

Someone should help him out.... :D He has got talent .....just not the right taste in camo.....
totally agree with this also.
Ignore potentially inaccurate paintjob and his actual workmanship is excellent.
Quite good paint work and detailing.

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:15 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:
On this forum we welcome all comers, but please don't insult us by calling yourself an expert and then showing us that you are NOT an expert.... :roll: This man may be a talented painter but his paint job not accurate for any WW2 theater.

TTT
Actually, you really don't welcome "all comers". This board is pretty good at driving newbs away because they wanted to join in on custom fun and don't have well developed skills. Far more insults than constructive, helpful advice are given.

I must have missed the post on here where Jnewguy posted his work and claimed it was factual. It looks to me like you guys went searching offsite to find something to tear apart.

Flyboy, I know it's fun to jump on the bandwagon, but your age really shows thru. I'm glad you have found a great hobby that encourages you to study history and the sacrifices your grandfathers made for this country, but I don't think they did it so you could flame people who try to do something different from behind a monitor and keyboard.

I'm all for authentic patterns, but sometime you just have to step out and have some fun. Here is my example of doing this exact thing. Flame away, but I certainly had fun playing with my airbrush and trying to sharpen my skills.

http://forums.fighting118th.com/attachm ... 1256660295
[url=http://www.fighting118th.com]Fighting118th:[/url] Joe Deserves Better!

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:42 am

And thank you gliderdwm for being honest. It is funny to see some of the junk sold on Ebay and comment on it. But the absolute bashing and insults that followed do not enhance anyone's life and they certainly don't put members of this board in a favorable light. That's not a big deal if you don't care what outsiders think of the members here, but then that would just make the statement of welcoming all types even more inaccurate.

This strange hobby of ours needs to stick together and encourage growth in membership if it is going to survive. It's back from the dead, but not for long if people can't break out of their crusty shell and encourage people who might not share the same exact views. Look at the 1:16 tank market. It is growing by leaps and bounds worldwide and as a reward for optimism and continued growth of the community, they are producing 3 or 4 completely new tanks a year at over $100 a pop. The manufacturers even use board members to help design new tanks like the Mato Sherman VVSS.

The 1:18 scale will never survive if it's just 20 of the same guys for years griping about what's wrong with everything that is produced and how crappy everyone's customs are.

The 1:16 guys gripe, but then they fix the issues and then help everyone else who wants to know how to replicate the fixes.

Sorry about the rant, just really struck a nerve to see fellow 1:18 enthusiast going out of their way to shred someone on a different site.
[url=http://www.fighting118th.com]Fighting118th:[/url] Joe Deserves Better!

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:24 pm

pcsg:

Sorry but it is a simple fact that this guy (who claimed, in his eBay listing, that he is an "expert on WW2"), simply is not an expert. He makes good looking dios with nice paint jobs, but making a nice looking model does not make him an expert in anything but model making.

His listing states "Model has great Zimmerit coating that was then painted in the tri-color ambush pattern authentic for France in 1944"

We, on this board, simply state, on this thread and earlier threads, that from the looks of his models, he is not an expert and despite what he says, his huge polka dot paint is not accurate and was never put on any 1/1 vehicles. We even asked him if he could show us some real pics of such a paint scheme, and he has not. I would expand that with a request to show us some Teller mines hung on tank turrets. I would be interested in seeing pics of German tanks so stupid as do such such a thing.

If you can show us some pics (not from a model magazine but actual WW2 pics) I would be glad to recant my comments.

I personally object to your comment that "Flyboy, I know it's fun to jump on the bandwagon, but your age really shows thru". Is Flyboys age a limiting factor in his ability to make a comment? I think not. Not on this board.

Accuracy is important to most of the members of this board, creativity does not belong in a forum devoted to war theaters. Creativity belongs in GI Joe sites or SciFi sites.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:pcsg:

Sorry but it is a simple fact that this guy (who claimed, in his eBay listing, that he is an "expert on WW2"), simply is not an expert. He makes good looking dios with nice paint jobs, but making a nice looking model does not make him an expert in anything but model making.

His listing states "Model has great Zimmerit coating that was then painted in the tri-color ambush pattern authentic for France in 1944"

We, on this board, simply state, on this thread and earlier threads, that from the looks of his models, he is not an expert and despite what he says, his huge polka dot paint is not accurate and was never put on any 1/1 vehicles. We even asked him if he could show us some real pics of such a paint scheme, and he has not. I would expand that with a request to show us some Teller mines hung on tank turrets. I would be interested in seeing pics of German tanks so stupid as do such such a thing.

If you can show us some pics (not from a model magazine but actual WW2 pics) I would be glad to recant my comments.

I personally object to your comment that "Flyboy, I know it's fun to jump on the bandwagon, but your age really shows thru". Is Flyboys age a limiting factor in his ability to make a comment? I think not. Not on this board.
Accuracy is important to most of the members of this board, creativity does not belong in a forum devoted to war theaters. Creativity belongs in GI Joe sites or SciFi sites.

TTT
Well said TTT
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:29 pm

ok guys, I think everyone has made their points. Lets move along.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:09 pm

this custom was shown on here before and i think it was decided that the mines all over the turret were an early form of explosive reactive armour. :lol:

In truth, i don't know why any tanker would drape his tank turret in big mines, unless he wants to help his enemy out by giving incoming shells a little extra oomph.

We've seen our share of nebulous accuracy customs over the years; some have sold for big dollars and others not. Ebay has no rules about claims of expert knowledge that i am aware of, although misrepresentation is an offense. It's a question of severity. What looks wrong to us may be considered acceptable by an independent arbitrator.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MG-42

* Stupid customs / duh ?

Post by MG-42 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:22 pm

* I knew this would spark some controversy. lol * :lol:

v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

VMF115

Re: * Stupid customs / duh ?

Post by VMF115 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:07 pm

MG-42 wrote:* I knew this would spark some controversy. lol * :lol:

v MG
:lol: :lol: And it always does...this thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episodes
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: * Stupid customs / duh ?

Post by exether_mega » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:40 pm

VMF115 wrote:
MG-42 wrote:* I knew this would spark some controversy. lol * :lol:

v MG
:lol: :lol: And it always does...this thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episodes

phil

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:09 pm

What's truly funny about this whole thing is that some of the people here who's laughing at this guy's custom have plenty of laughable customs too.

And then there are some who doesn't even try to paint or do any kind of mod on their stuff, yet laugh at other's skills.

You all know who you are.

At least he try. It's not like he's deceiving anyone with his auctions. What you see is what you get.

How about let's see some of your custom work and paintjobs?

:roll:

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:15 pm

really......

like I said his planes are kick butt %90 of the time and his tanks look very nice just not right. :?

nice work though! :D
--Samuel Beckett

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:
We, on this board, simply state, on this thread and earlier threads, that from the looks of his models, he is not an expert and despite what he says, his huge polka dot paint is not accurate and was never put on any 1/1 vehicles.

TTT
Aside from what may or may not be accurate to this particular piece you and i both know that not every camo pattern was recorded and there was a lot of liberty taken in the field by the units that took the tanks after factory delivery. Painting paste was sent with the units to apply as they saw fit for the environment.

It is impossible to know every color or pattern due to this fact. We do however have a general idea of how the colors and patterns were applied though. We can take that knowledge and yes (gasp!) we can be creative with our toys. We can create original concepts, following general guidelines that could have served on the front lines.

It is common fact that the colors and representations of the vehicles and patterns are simply speculation. Black and White photos provide almost no reference to the exact shades and colors used. A lot of artistic interpretation has been taken over the years in order to create a "likeness" of the vehicle.

There are very few records from the German side of the war, particular about minutia such as paint schemes. We have approximations, but it can never be 100% known.
Best,
-Paul

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:58 pm

update:

i got word from the auction runner. Here is the message i got, cut and pasted here. The name has been deleted for privacy.

I relisted the Tiger, the paint scheme was common for Das Reich in summer/fall of 1944 in france as seen in Das Reich Tigers (Hardcover) ~by Wolfgang Schneider

Do with that as you will, i don't have the book. If it is there, great, if not, fine.

As i pointed out before to claim to know all about this type of thing and summarily judge others for doing a decent job is simply laughable.
Last edited by paulpratt on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best,
-Paul

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:58 pm

paulpratt wrote:
Threetoughtrucks wrote:
We, on this board, simply state, on this thread and earlier threads, that from the looks of his models, he is not an expert and despite what he says, his huge polka dot paint is not accurate and was never put on any 1/1 vehicles.

TTT
Aside from what may or may not be accurate to this particular piece you and i both know that not every camo pattern was recorded and there was a lot of liberty taken in the field by the units that took the tanks after factory delivery. Painting paste was sent with the units to apply as they saw fit for the environment.

It is impossible to know every color or pattern due to this fact. We do however have a general idea of how the colors and patterns were applied though. We can take that knowledge and yes (gasp!) we can be creative with our toys. We can create original concepts, following general guidelines that could have served on the front lines.

It is common fact that the colors and representations of the vehicles and patterns are simply speculation. Black and White photos provide almost no reference to the exact shades and colors used. A lot of artistic interpretation has been taken over the years in order to create a "likeness" of the vehicle.

There are very few records from the German side of the war, particular about minutia such as paint schemes. We have approximations, but it can never be 100% known.

What he said . 8)
--Samuel Beckett

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:46 pm

My contention is that the giant polka dot paint scheme was never used. The dots shown on the eBay listing would be giant dots and would not have been used, no matter what the "WW2 German expert" says in his listing.

Tank crews were issued colors in gallons and whitewash to cammo the straight gray factory colors.

Check this for some samples:

http://www.alanhamby.com/paint.shtml

TTT
(The Expert in everything connected to everything exept anything of any importance....... :roll: )
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:56 pm

Here are some other nifty patterns.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/431/ ... ageut3.jpg

52 observed patterns on the king tiger alone. That means 11% (roughly) of the entire tiger II inventory had a different pattern. I don't even think we can fathom the amount of possible patterns that may have been used across all other tanks.

I see some dots too...

511 Heavy panzer battalion - Olive on tan

509 heavy panzer battalion - Brown on tan

501 Heavy panzer battalion - just whacked out paint job. those are some big dots.

Still not the exact pattern, but these are dot patterns. Huge dots...
Best,
-Paul

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:20 pm

Ambush pattern on Tiger I is inaccurate. You can speculate all you want, but the fact is that the Germans stopped production of Tiger Is before they introduced the "ambush" camo schemes.

And no, the crews couldn't have possibly applied the "spots" on the field. they didn't even have time to repair their vehicles when they broke down, I doubt they had enough time to add little dots all over the tank, when natural foliage is a better camoflauge anyway.

By late 1944 through the end of the war, the Germans stopped the practice of painting the camoflauge by crews in the field. They simply did not have the luxury of doing it in the field, when they were all being pushed back hard in all fronts. That is why German directives commanded that all camo jobs is to be done in the factory.

I would be careful using artist rendered color schemes on WWII. Some of them are extremely inaccurate. How do I know? They actually based some of their rendition to tanks that was well-photographed or was seen in WWII propaganda films.

Using your own picture example, I could quickly tell you that the Tiger #008, did NOT have huge spots like those, since Tiger # 008 of the S.SS.Pz.Abt. 501 is quite famous, because it was seen in the famous German propaganda video before the Ardennes offensive, and there are plenty of pics of #008 after it was abandoned near Trois Point.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:24 pm

King Tiger #008 of the S.SS.Pz.Abt. 501. See any huge dots?

Pics of Tiger #008 summer 1945.
Last edited by GooglyDoogly on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:29 pm

pcsguy88 wrote:
Threetoughtrucks wrote:
On this forum we welcome all comers, but please don't insult us by calling yourself an expert and then showing us that you are NOT an expert.... :roll: This man may be a talented painter but his paint job not accurate for any WW2 theater.

TTT
Actually, you really don't welcome "all comers". This board is pretty good at driving newbs away because they wanted to join in on custom fun and don't have well developed skills. Far more insults than constructive, helpful advice are given.

I must have missed the post on here where Jnewguy posted his work and claimed it was factual. It looks to me like you guys went searching offsite to find something to tear apart.

Flyboy, I know it's fun to jump on the bandwagon, but your age really shows thru. I'm glad you have found a great hobby that encourages you to study history and the sacrifices your grandfathers made for this country, but I don't think they did it so you could flame people who try to do something different from behind a monitor and keyboard.

I'm all for authentic patterns, but sometime you just have to step out and have some fun. Here is my example of doing this exact thing. Flame away, but I certainly had fun playing with my airbrush and trying to sharpen my skills.

http://forums.fighting118th.com/attachm ... 1256660295
That's funny, because the "Sewing Circle" forum threads (where you are an admin, no less) are full of invective aimed at other boards (especially Hisstank, but also SSHQ and Toyark). And then you have the gall to come here to lecture the readership on good manners? That's rich. :roll:
07-25-2009 12:17 AM pcsguy88
Hisstank it is. Glad you found your way here. I'm sure you will find it to be more pleasant than the Tank. We run an adult board, not a place for the kiddies to bitch.
http://forums.fighting118th.com/member.php?u=104

And, no, I don't think grandpa fought the nazis so Paris Hilton could be a skank either, but ain't that a little beside the point? Or do you think grandpa would approve of every single decision you have made in your life? ('Cause I know mine wouldn't approve of mine.) Besides, if one, as a teenager, can't even critizice a guy selling his wares on e-bay because a WWII veteran will start spinning on his grave (or something), then one might as well go to live with the Carthusian monks (which I'm sure it's lots of fun).

And, BTW, the custom you have linked can't be accessed because the topic/attachment/whatever is, err, PRIVATE? (Only the initiated can access it? Say it ain't so, Joe!)
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.

You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Ooopsy! I CAN'T HAS ZEKRIT ATTACHMINT? :P

To the best of my recollection, we have no ZEKRIT threads here, just private messages. Maybe I'm wrong and don't know the SSHQ secret handshake protocol.

This other board of which I speak shows little, if any, respect for the 'rivet counters' here, so maybe you should stop lecturing us on good manners. Just a thought.