Where's the WWII Warbird love?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Where's the WWII Warbird love?

Post by Airacobra » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Am I the only one that is wondering when the next new WWII Warbird will be released? Enough with the repaints, lets see some new planes. Don't get me wrong, I love the F-14, but I think we need some new WWII Warbirds that cost under $100. The surface hasn't even been scratched at this point. There has only been one Japanese plane produce thus far......I mean, really?........Three German, One British, No Russian, No Italian, etc. etc. And no, I'm not including $500 models, they don't count in my opinion. If I'm paying $500 for a model airplane, you can bet your a$$ it is going to be able to fly and not sit on a shelf. Anyways, end of rant. I just really want to see something new.

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:09 pm

Absolutely. It would be great to see any of these in 1/18:
Bf-110
Me-163
Me-410
FW-190A
Wildcat
Dauntless
P-39
P-51B/C
Mosquito
Hurricane
Swordfish
Kate
Val
Rufe
Macchi C.202
It would also be great to see some larger planes, such as the P-61 or B-25.
Builder and Collector of RC Aircraft

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:19 pm

P-61 Black Widow !

phil

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:27 pm

I don't think we will see anything new WWII wise from JSI until they completely go through their inventory of 21st Century stuff. If they do, I'd like to see a Wildcat, and P-39 myself.

The field is really wide open for BBI I'd say. It would be a great time to come out with an Fw-190. It would be nice if Admiral would come up for air about now. There Mosquito would do well I think. Airfix some of you may know is releasing a 1/24 scale Mosquito.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:33 pm

I totally agree with you that there are a ton of WWII planes that need to be produced in 1:18, but then I am also very glad to see JSI tackling the modern aircraft. There are interesting subjects and relatively few that have been made.

If we take the total types of WWII planes produced by 21c/BBI/Admiral/Pegasus so far, it is around 18. For any modern aircraft (post-1945), counting helicopters, we have around 12. Those numbers are counting variations of the same aircraft type (ie ME-262A and ME-262B) but not the same aircraft types made by different companies (ie 21c Corsair and BBI Corsair). When we get into numbers of repaints, the WWII era aircraft far outstrip any of the modern planes.

While I love the WWII aircraft, I feel that they have had a fair run and it is nice to see something different. The JSI F-14 seems to be drawing a lot of attention, so hopefully it will spur them to make large WWII planes in the future like a Mosquito or B-25 :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Well I will be comming out with my Spitfire with clipped wings and it will be way cheaper than $500.

It will be over $100. Regular custom planes are going for $300 for just a repaint.

I am trying to go in in the $200 range if it could be done.

The P-39 and Wildcat got voted down a while ago.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:50 pm

pickelhaube wrote:Well I will be comming out with my Spitfire with clipped wings and it will be way cheaper than $500.

It will be over $100. Regular custom planes are going for $300 for just a repaint.

Who voted down the P-39?! :shock: I want a list of names. :lol:

Hey B-29, I thought I remember you working on a P-39 that looked really nice? How is that project going?

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:56 pm

How about a Westland Whirlwind....?? Sleek and deadly with four 20mm cannon in the nose, I've always thought this was one of the coolest looking aircraft of the war. Sadly, the whirlybird never achieved the kind of performance the RAF wanted and it was phased out, but it still looks pretty neat IMO.

Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:58 pm

ostketten wrote:How about a Westland Whirlwind....?? Sleek and deadly with four 20mm cannon in the nose, I've always thought this was one of the coolest looking aircraft of the war. Sadly, the whirlybird never achieved the kind of performance the RAF wanted and it was phased out, but it still looks pretty neat IMO.

Wow, very cool.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:09 pm

ostketten wrote:How about a Westland Whirlwind....?? Sleek and deadly with four 20mm cannon in the nose, I've always thought this was one of the coolest looking aircraft of the war. Sadly, the whirlybird never achieved the kind of performance the RAF wanted and it was phased out, but it still looks pretty neat IMO.

Yes, the Whilwind has always been a special plane to me. My dad built a large r/c Whilwind when I was a young boy. I still remember how pretty that plane looked on the ground and how awesome it looked ripping through the sky. Not many people are familiar with that Warbird, good call.

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:18 pm

I'd like to see an Me-163 or a Bf-110 they'd be very cool.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:21 pm

I'd be in for either cobra for sure after seeing them at Wright Patterson.

Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:02 pm

In terms of realistically happening (e.g. no B17) I would have to say the B25 is the one that begs to be done the most.
I'll put in a Horten IX/229/Gotha 229 also. Tell me who wouldn't buy that one.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:29 pm

I'm still waiting for an affordable P-51 B/C and a P-40E.

I don't see too much risk in producing such well known planes.

The P-51 B/C wouldn't compete with the P-51 D's that are still in stock at some places because they look different and most of the cool(est) camouflage schemes are OD green.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:47 pm

i think we can count out BBI for awhile. ive been asking around and they dont even have a distributor. Merit dropped them, historic laughed when i asked and no one else has any info. whats up BBI??????
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:53 pm

I'm thinking that if we hold our breath waiting for some new WWII planes, we will probably turn blue.

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Airacobra wrote:
pickelhaube wrote:Well I will be comming out with my Spitfire with clipped wings and it will be way cheaper than $500.

Who voted down the P-39?! :shock: I want a list of names. :lol:

Hey B-29, I thought I remember you working on a P-39 that looked really nice? How is that project going?
Well, it has wings now. I had a deal with Jason to get some landing gear off of a damaged 262, but he hasn't responded since February. The panel lines are done. I have to build the canopy frames and tackle the doors and interior. That probably won't be until summer though, high school honors homework doesn't leave time for customizing. But, on the other hand, I am getting a prototype made on a CNC machine of a 1/18 Chinook in a couple of weeks...

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:55 pm

This place has a kit for a balsa 1/18 Whirlwind: http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/d06.htm Might be passable if you covered it with thin styrene instead of tissue.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:08 pm

I'd like to see a YAK-9, P-51B w/Malcolm hood, and an all new P-38 with more moving parts and new pilot.

A Bearcat and Tigercat would be cool too.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

TEMPEST

Post by supersonicfifi » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:29 am

http://www.hawkertempest.se/

i've got the skymax CLOSTERMANN one in 1/72 scale : Fantastic

http://www.hawkertempest.se/Miscmodels.htm

1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?