TRU's Exclusive Tank and AAV playsets

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:49 pm

I contemplated buying the "Badger" AMTRAC today at TRU. Looks like it would be fairly easy to make a bit more "realistic" looking.
aferguson wrote:has nobody on here bought one of these aav's yet? I'd like a board members review/opinion.
Same here!
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:00 pm

well i'm gonna dive on it if/when they ever get up here.

I'm distressed by the lack of sighting of the Wespe, though. I was looking forward to it as much as the AAV. Maybe it just hasn't arrived yet and will show in a later assortment.

i'm also hoping the pte chinese tank will show up at TRU in the true heroes line up. It's wierd that the APC would make it over here and not the tank, so i suspect it will show up, probably at TRU.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:46 pm

aferguson wrote:I'm distressed by the lack of sighting of the Wespe, though. I was looking forward to it as much as the AAV. Maybe it just hasn't arrived yet and will show in a later assortment.
Probably the Wespe might show up at Rite-Aid stores? I've been scouting numerous Rite-Aids the last few days and I've spotted the new helicopter and jeep in store that was shown at Toyark. http://www.toyark.com/news/military-toy ... ce-vi-873/

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:41 pm

I may just pick up the Badger for the hell of it. A plus is that they seem to make the more "unrealistic" weapons removable or optional on these vehicles.

The Dragon Wagon-ish tank transporter at TRU was intriguing as well. It had a missile launcher and some other crap on it but it looks like you can clear the bed allowing a vehicle to be carried.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:11 am

Interesting to hear that it might be closer to scale than it looked in the box. I'll nab one the next time I'm at TRU as they are in stock locally.

The Dragon Wagon, though underscale, turned out well with some treatment.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:26 am

that dragon wagon's not bad; it probably would look a little more to scale with a smaller tank on it, like a sherman. Replacing the wheels with bigger ones would really help its scale appearance, though it would be a bear to find all those wheels.

The Wespe will be in the same size package that the oil drum outpost and sand bag outpost sets were in, i think....looks like the same box to me. Keep your eyes peeled for Wespes. I sure hope they turn up as i'm pretty keen on getting a couple or three. :)

Chap mei toys are easy to take apart.....most of the goofy weapons are screwed on and easily removed, so it's not a hard job to make them look more realistic.

I hope these more realistic items sell really well for them, as it should encourage them to make more realistic stuff..

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 am

grunt1 wrote:The Dragon Wagon, though underscale, turned out well with some treatment
:shock: Hmm, sweet! As Aferg said, a smaller tank might make it appear more to scale. Still, that looks nice. 8)

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:04 am

Wow Grunt1, that Dragon Wagon turned out great. If I knew it had such potential I would have picked one up when I had seen them. :wink:

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:13 am

I just saw one of these "Dragon Wagons" at toys r us $40.00. The name on the box was True Hero's, Is this Chap mei ? I thought it was Soldier Force I was supposed to be looking for. :roll: Oh and no Wespe. :x

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:40 pm

the TRU "true heroes" line includes both chap mei and power team items. Most are chap mei, including the little dragon wagon that you saw. Chap mei also sells them under their own 'soldier force' line, but not at TRU, where they are called 'true heroes'.

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:06 am

Thanks Aferguson for clearing that up.

YT

Post by YT » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:39 pm

grunt1 wrote:
The Dragon Wagon, though underscale, turned out well with some treatment.
Wow! Nice work!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:52 am

we finally got the true heroes rocket launcher up here. Once it goes on discount, i'll get one and make a dragon wagon of my own.

Still no sign of the AAV's yet.

usmcchet9296
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by usmcchet9296 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:15 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:The amtrack has potential. Still underscaled, but not too underscaled. With a repaint it would be passable. The T-72 tank looks useful as well. It is obviously small, but with a repaint could work as some sort of enemy armor.
trust me its way underscale
I road in one for 3 years
USMC CHET
John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:58 pm

usmcchet9296 wrote:trust me its way underscale
I road in one for 3 years
I totally realize that it is underscaled, being not much larger than my accurately-scaled and better-detailed FOV 1:32 version. After getting better looks at the Chap Mei tank during subsequent visits to TRU, I am even less impressed. When you first look at it, the vehicle seems cool, but then the fact that it stinks grows on you. I never intended to get it in the first place :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."