New product line to be announced by 21st Century

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:46 pm

Interesting line with alot of possibilities and I like the idea of including a figure with the pilot's likeness. I get the reasoning behind the Boyington Corsair, but the new deal is not enough to warrant another double of the same paint scheme for a plane I already have. 21c would be wise to offer the ground crew figures as a single or double carded set, and perhaps offer the new pilot figures individually carded as well.

However, for those of us with the Boyington Corsair already, we do sort of have a Pappy Boyington figure already, but with the goggles down.

OT, I am a big Boyington fan, largely on account that the famous pilot spent his final years in my hometown of Fresno and was a friend of my father. I have an autographed edition of his autobiography, as well as his business card :)

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:49 pm

Speaking of Tanks-
If I was not mistaken wasn't there a picture shown at comic con of a concept Michael Whittmann tank box?
That could hold some promise, also there was something about a Merrills Mauraders Combo Box? anyone know anything special about "Merrills Mauraders?" What in the world is a merrill maurader?
It looked like a Pacific set. Would go nicely with the new Japanese Figures which would also go nicely with the S2 Marines which should come out soon!
I thought all the figure and Armour guys were having a field day Wal-Mart last week? I am ready to see some new planes on shelves!!!!

...what were we talking about again? Oh yeah a lack of figures and armour? :wink:

You guys crack me up! Ranger - you know we are buddies! Just having fun with you man!
Last edited by tko211 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:51 pm

I guess planes do well regardless of what kinds and types are put out. If it makes the company that much more profitable whos to blame them? :D

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:56 pm

If they want to do Pappy again, why don't they use other paint scheme? If I remember correctly that someone said that Lucybella paint scheme was only used in photo shoot. There are other paint schemes of the Corsair that he flew. I sometimes don't understand these companies. With 21st C doing repaint after repaint and bbi doing only what has proven sells that 21st C had already done, it almost makes you want to get out of this hobby altogether.

About the only thing good from this is the added ground crew with extras and pilot likeness. I don't think they could make the plane look any better, except for retooling it with new extras as they did the Mustang. Sorry about this, but I had to add my two cents.

momaw nadon

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:57 pm

I am most curious about the paint detail and the pilot likeness.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:03 pm

remember the days of the famous silver finger paint corsair, than the re-painted Kepford! That was a huge paint difference! If we see another leap like that in paint detail.... Man that could be REALLY cool. Imagine a custom model quality paint job with weathered panel lines and oil streaks to give it that "in the field" look!
Ground crew will come and they can be swapped and used with any plane BUT give me a museum quality paint job! Oh yeah, that can be cool! my 2 cents.

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by 75th Ranger » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:36 pm

Merill marauders = Rangers

HOOAH!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:43 pm

tko211 wrote:Speaking of Tanks-
If I was not mistaken wasn't there a picture shown at comic con of a concept Michael Whittmann tank box?
That could hold some promise, also there was something about a Merrills Mauraders Combo Box? anyone know anything special about "Merrills Mauraders?" What in the world is a merrill maurader?
It looked like a Pacific set. Would go nicely with the new Japanese Figures which would also go nicely with the S2 Marines which should come out soon!
I thought all the figure and Armour guys were having a field day Wal-Mart last week? I am ready to see some new planes on shelves!!!!

...what were we talking about again? Oh yeah a lack of figures and armour? :wink:

You guys crack me up! Ranger - you know we are buddies! Just having fun with you man!
Zach,

You ARE joking about Merrill's Marauders right? Tell me you are!

I'm really interested myself in the paint quality of the upcoming planes. I bet that they will look just too damn cool to pass up, damn it. You know, gotta get the best sort of thing...... :roll:

The mechanics will be worth the price of admission alone. Finally a Crew Chief!!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Merrill Marauders

Post by 75th Ranger » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:09 pm

The attack on Myitkyina was the climax to four months of marching and combat in the Burma jungles. No other American force except the First Marine Division, which took and held Guadalcanal for four months, has had as much uninterrupted jungle fighting service as Merrill's Marauders. But no other American force anywhere had marched as far, fought as continuously or had to display such endurance, as the swift-moving, hard-hitting foot soldiers, of Merrill's Marauders.

For their accomplishments in Burma the Marauders were awarded the "DISTINGUISHED UNIT CITATION" in July, 1944. However in 1966 this award was redesignated as the "PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION" which is awarded by the President in the name of Congress. The Marauders also have the extremely rare distinction of having every member of the unit receive the "BRONZE STAR".

Unit Citation
Bronze Star

The unit was consolidated with the 475th Infantry on August 10, 1944. On June 21, 1954, the 475th was redesignated the 75th Infantry. It is from the redesignation of Merrill's Marauders into the 75th Infantry Regiment that the modern-day 75th Ranger Regiment traces its current unit designation...

Original Marauder Patch 75th Inf. Patch 75th Ranger Scroll.

http://www.marauder.org/

Image[/img]
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:28 pm

Ski-

Yeah, I was playing. I know all about the famous Mauraders! I just wanted to bring some attention to the fact that there does seem to be some cool figure / armour XD products on the horizon!

I also knew our good friend 75th Ranger had some intel on that unit. It was just a segway for Ranger to do his thang!

It does look like you are gonna get a Crew Chief after all!

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:25 am

Cool! I get to be a Crew Chief playing with a Crew Chief action figure. Yehaaa!!!!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:07 am

Since there will be a jump in quality and added figures the price will surly go up a good bit. I wonder what the target price range is going to be on these. BCA sells planes for a round 52 bucks each. Should we expect 70 or more? Will Wal Mart carry them?
I really like the idea of extra detail and the crew is a KO. I hope they release them on cards as well. I’m just not too sure I’ll pay too much more than I am already for planes. Not that they wouldn’t be worth it. It’s just starting to become hard to explain to my wife.
:roll:

digger

NOOOOOOO

Post by digger » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:25 am

tmanthegreat wrote:perhaps offer the new pilot figures individually carded as well.
Please no, no more carded pilots. They're up there with CIA Hueys in terms of usefullness. :roll:

The ground crew carded is a different story - that would sell in bulk because people have whole damn airfields (Zach?) and nobody to work them :wink: Nobody needs 4 Pappy's.....

Now, if they do a Whitman Tiger that comes with crew...watch out...then we have something to get excited about. :P 8)

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:07 am

Chuck Yeager F-86.
aferg: I agree 100%. 21st would have more than one option with Yeager. Not only could 21st do a Yeager P-51, they can also do a F-86 as you mention.

And what the heck, why not do one of the Vietman aces in a F-4, Steve Richie or Randy Cunningham. Gotta have an F-4.

I think tko211 (or someone) mentioned at Comiccon something about a new P-38. Maybe a Bong P-38. With 40 kills, Bong was the top ace of WWII.

Oh, the possibilities!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:20 am

Like a Galland 109E!

oh wait...

:)

boyx30
Sergeant
Sergeant

SWEET!

Post by boyx30 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:46 am

This isn't that surprising..in fact a logical move. We've all speculated in past posts that this was either a good idea or was going to happen.. (see last Post on the Gunther Rall 109G thread)...I'm very glad...and yes some re-paints or re-do's like a Rudel Stuka or a Yeagar P51..the list of legends spreads pretty far and wide...why not a Rommel tank?...or a Bob Hope USO show diarama!

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:28 am

Always wanted to do a diorama of a 1:18 plane being test fired/bore sited by ground crew. This is now a definite possibility. 8)

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:33 pm

With the added ground crew, we need more detail to the plane like removable panels to key components and engines for them to work on. They have started with the gun bays on the P-51, but I would love to have the engine cowling and bay to be able to open with that high level of detail. If they do something like that to the Pappy Corsair, I would not think twice about gettting it.
momaw nadon

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:23 pm

Beautiful!

ADMIN edit - Please log into Area21 to see the images

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:17 pm

Printing error: Boyington was in Marines not the Navy.

Great box art and I love the idea of the ground crew and accessories I'll say that much.

As for everything else? No comment.

:wink:
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:34 pm

the marines are part of the navy...

corsair was designed and built for the navy, later taken on by the marines when it was deemed unsuitable for carrier operations.

That makes it a navy plane.

heheh.....they either goofed or felt that saying it was a Navy plane sounded better than saying it was a Marine plane.

I think this series is going to be a winner. The potential is great now that they are gearing items towards collectors and not toy buyers. If they keep doing the 'toy' planes plus this 'collector' oriented line it will give us a chance to add both quantity and quality to our collections..

I wonder how many in this series they plan on releasing per year. My guess is only a couple, maybe three..

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:12 pm

I am looking forward to these. Especially since it looks like Bbi is going the other direction with their 1:18 line. I saw the Helocopter set at Target tonight and it is very much PTE style. I wonder if perhaps they even purchased that company or at least the molds. The figs are OK and you can get more accessories.
Todd

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:07 am

I'm with 75th Ranger on this personally... Planes don't interest me, and finding figures/armor hasn't been any easier around here lately than it has in the past several years. Since I just don't do much ordering online I'm just disinterested right now. If Wal-Mart improves so will my opinion, but somehow I don't see that happening.

Would love to build a nice hefty army of Marines and Japanese though... Been nice to have seen some kind of movement forward on those film-based lines too, or those large army builder packs. Planes? *yawn* Got plenty of those on the shelves around here though.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

digger

Figs/armor

Post by digger » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:30 am

Jesse, I hear you but you have to keep the faith :wink: I don't think we will ever be able to troop build off the pegs like S1 XD, SW, etc....just b/c of the relatively small numbers of figures being distributed through the stores, and the odd distribution therein that keeps some stores empty :( But, the Japanese figures are a whole lotta bang for your buck, as are the Marines if you could find them. Now, we see $23 tanks & halftracks? C'mon! Who would thought that day would come? As a guy who does mainly ground based too, I think this is a great time for XD. :D
Think about what is in [some] stores: 2 sets of good guys & 2 sets of badguys (not including pilots), 4 different halftracks, USMC Sherman, Dodge Truck, CC, Panzer IV and all the leftover Tigers, M4s, M2s & M113s. :) It is practically our hey-day! :P
Let's remember the old TRU distribution too - searching for XD has become part of the hobby. :roll:

PS - I doubt we will ever see 1:18 Japanese again so I'd get on board or you might regret it. :?

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:12 am

See, I'm the opposite... I'm loving all these new plane lines (being an airplane fantatic :-P )