JSI F-14 preorder question

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:56 am

looks like usps is getting similar to canada post. I can ship many packages to the US for less than it costs to ship them a shorter distance within my own country.

Now it seems usps rates in the US for larger sized items are nearly the same as they are for shipping to canada.

A 5 pound xd plane costs $26 to ship to canada. This much larger Tomcat box, weighing 15 pounds is $43....so relatively speaking a good deal. Although i think all shipping rates are excessive these days cause oil isn't $147 per barrel, which is what the rates are tuned to.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

art2614
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by art2614 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:38 pm

I am pretty sure the retailers are going to use a larger box to ship the boxed F14 in it along with packaging material. Might explain the higher shipping cost. A friend of mine got a shipping quote from Military Toy Shop that lives a couple of miles from me and they said it would only be about 20 bucks to ship to Houston, not bad at all 8) I preorderd from them.
A place for 1/18 chit chat with no BS
www.fighting118th.com
[img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w26/KISSDAWIND/temp_logo.jpg[/img]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:46 pm

i preordered one from aviator nut and he can wrap it in a skin tight box for all i care. Even if he used 1 inch thick carboard it would still be under the 108 inch size restriction for priority int'l.

Every plane i've ever bought has been shipped in a skin tight box and i've never had any damage. I'm sure these tomcats will come securely packaged in their own boxes.....they better be for a $200 pricetag...should be packed in styrofoam.

art2614
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by art2614 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Well at first we thought these birds were going to be priced at $250, so it's like you're getting 30 bucks off of shipping right of the bat :lol:
www.fighting118th.com

sledgehammer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sledgehammer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:24 pm

Smalljoes Fedex Ground is 35 bucks to me here in northern MI.
succesful buyers or traders: 109, pcoughran, toyktdlgh

art2614
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by art2614 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:30 pm

Smalljoes is 37.14 to me in TX. IMO the last thing we should be bitching about is shipping. At least we are getting an F14 to begin with. If you cant afford shipping then dont buy the bird.
www.fighting118th.com

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:00 am

what kind of attitude is that? Because this plane is super expenisve let's get gouged on shipping too?....

You must have lots of cash to throw down the toilet.

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General

shipping.......

Post by normandy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:14 am

Aferguson, have you checked out The World War II Attic in Quebec? I don't know if they have a warehouse in Canada but you might save on shipping if they do.
http://www.worldwariiattic.com/

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:07 am

i didn't realize they were still in business. I checked a while ago and couldn't find their site.

thanks normandy.

pickelhaube

Re: shipping.......

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:26 am

normandy wrote:Aferguson, have you checked out The World War II Attic in Quebec? I don't know if they have a warehouse in Canada but you might save on shipping if they do.
http://www.worldwariiattic.com/
They sell 'em a little higher there :shock:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:30 am

aferguson wrote:what kind of attitude is that? Because this plane is super expenisve let's get gouged on shipping too?....

You must have lots of cash to throw down the toilet.
I think what he is trying to say is that if people are willing to spend $200+ for a model, $30 isn't that much more to add to the total price to essentially have it dropped on your door step.

Just sounds a little funny when someone says they're willing to pay $200+ for something and then they let a $30 shipping fee bother them. Especially when it's been known all along that the only avenue to buy it will involve shipping.

I'm not saying let them gouge us on shipping but it's going to be a big box. It should be expected to cost a little more than $10-$15 in shipping fees.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:47 am

well money is still money. If you buy a $30,000 car does that mean it's ok to pay $200 for replacement wiper blades for it? I mean, relative to the cost of the car, that's nothing.

I wasn't specifically referring to a $30 shipping cost, but to the attitude. And some people are clearly getting gouged on shipping, like snake who got charged $70 when it should be around $40.

I suspect the root problem is that etailers don't know what this is going to cost to ship yet and for the sake of having a shipping cost for preorder, they are overestimating it to be on the safe side. But money is still money...and just because you're forking out alot of money for something doesn't make it sensible to squander a smaller amount.

Pickel: World War II Attic's price for the JSI Tomcat is the same as most etailers at $219.99. The link normandy posted has the prices in canadian dollars, although they are a bit high. Should be about $130 canadian right now....if you select US funds you'll see the price is the same as most everyone else.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:49 am

The F-14 is $219.95 in U.S. $. $241.95 Canadian.
You can click on currencies.....Canadian, U.S., Australian, GB Pound or Euros. Thats a cool feature.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Shipping to New Zealand is running at about $148 average.........fmylife. Anyone want to just try and throw it over the pacific ocean?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

sledgehammer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sledgehammer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Shipping and getting what you want go hand and hand now. You have to pay to play. Its bad enough that item prices are going sky high, throw in that rediculous shipping (unavoidable now)and bam you could have got 2 walmart planes awhile back. No reason for some of these shipping costs. Just another way for the seller to make alil more. A lot more.
succesful buyers or traders: 109, pcoughran, toyktdlgh

Volksdeutsch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Volksdeutsch » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:32 pm

ive had bad dealings with the worldwarIIattic guys a jerk!

DrMindbender
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DrMindbender » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Wow Volksdeutsch....these accusations are kind of gratuitous. I'm pretty sure you are mistaken since i never had any bad dealings with anyone. But go ahead, let everyone know how you've had "bad dealings" with me and how i'm a jerk. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with...
Matt
www.worldwariiattic.com

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:03 pm

aferguson wrote:well money is still money. If you buy a $30,000 car does that mean it's ok to pay $200 for replacement wiper blades for it? I mean, relative to the cost of the car, that's nothing.

I wasn't specifically referring to a $30 shipping cost, but to the attitude. And some people are clearly getting gouged on shipping, like snake who got charged $70 when it should be around $40.

I suspect the root problem is that etailers don't know what this is going to cost to ship yet and for the sake of having a shipping cost for preorder, they are overestimating it to be on the safe side. But money is still money...and just because you're forking out alot of money for something doesn't make it sensible to squander a smaller amount.

Pickel: World War II Attic's price for the JSI Tomcat is the same as most etailers at $219.99. The link normandy posted has the prices in canadian dollars, although they are a bit high. Should be about $130 canadian right now....if you select US funds you'll see the price is the same as most everyone else.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry about that WW 2 Attic

Jay $148 to ship to New Zealand ? Good God. I guess we have nothing to 8itch about.
Last edited by pickelhaube on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:04 pm

i have found that a seller can go above and beyond and still buyers can feel that they have been treated poorly. i have been even blamed for the buyer making the purchase in the first place! :twisted: dont even ask me how that happens???
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

DrMindbender
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DrMindbender » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:56 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
aferguson wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry about that WW 2 Attic
No problem PH, unfortunately it is a common mistake. People do not always see the currency selector and that prices are set in CAD by default.
Matt
www.worldwariiattic.com

fredricchio
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fredricchio » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:33 pm

I just saw that Big Bad Toy Store is carrying it, but its already pre-sold out. They had it priced at $209.99 and since they're based out of Wisconsin I bet shipping would have been cheaper for some of us. Ah well, something to keep an eye on in the future. They don't seem to be carrying any of the JSI armor, though.

Did anyone here happen to order from them?

Edit: Wow, spoke too soon! Its pre-orderable and shipping via UPS is only $12.79 for me :shock:

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:44 pm

FEDRICHHIO:

Bigbadtoystore's $12.79 is their "estimated" shipping rate---but it sure sounds good compared to other dealers' shipping rates.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Just ordered mine from them. I have always had great service from BigBadToyStore. Always fast shipping and product in great condition and they are always less priced and shipping than competitors. I am surprised to see ther F-14 from them though because they usually dont carry military type stuff but I guess they sell so many Japanese toys that JSI already had an "in" with them. This is great news! :D

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 pm

High-Vis confirmed by MTS:

JSI 1:18 US NAVY GRUMMAN F-14A TOMCAT VF-84 JOLLY ROGER (HIGH VIZ) JSI0007

I thought for a sec they might have had a pic of the model on their website, but it's just a pic of the real-deal.

Good to know finally.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:20 pm

would have preferred low viz but no biggy. Not surprising really as that is the one we saw on preorder in japan last year.