when you take your XD outside do people point and laugh?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

when you take your XD outside do people point and laugh?

Post by aferguson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:29 am

I had a similar thread to this a long while back about the consequences of taking XD outside, with respect to the effect the elements would have.

Now i'm wondering about the human factor. I'm rigging up my Rudel stuka so i can hang it off of my balcony, in a vertical dive. I'm a few stories high, so it gives a nice scale height effect.

I was thinking of making a convoy of Russian trucks for it to dive bomb (Indy trucks converted to Zis 6 cargo trucks). This would entail me taking the trucks outside and setting them on the grass below my balcony, for all the world to see. I could then look up at my stuka, from the russians perspective, or go back upstairs and have a pilots eye view of the convoy below. I thought it would be fun, but i'm just thinking about what the neighbours might say..
Last edited by aferguson on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:55 am

The only time I took my XD out was when I got my first 1/6 scale Stuart tank.

All the kids in the hood came out to see. I let everyone drive it. Then I got the idea why don't you all lie down and I can run over you. They all did and it was a lot of fun.

Then a chubby kid came by and wanted to play. He laid down I went to drive over him and the Stuart flipped over on it's back. :?

Then it became time to go.

It was a lot of fun :D
Last edited by pickelhaube on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:15 am

FUNNY!
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:23 am

I have a nice mid-sized backyard, and like to take various 1:18 items out and photograph them. Usually it is around dinner time, so if I'm heating up a dog on the grill and downing a beer, I can enjoy the vehicles (less so people) in an ad hoc diorama.

I then send the photos to my brother the next week.

The only people who would know would be him and my neighbors ... the boys next door are curious ... many eyeballs watching me through the cracks in the fence. :)

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:28 am

Whenever Mrs. TTT has a yard sale, I do put some 1/6 stuff (Stuart, German half-tracks and Jeeps) at the street end of the driveway and they always incite interest from kids and adult men. It draws them in to look at the 1/18 stuff, that I put prices on. I never put prices on the big stuff because I have found that if I put a high price on something I really do not want to sell, the high prices makes them just walk away.

Works every time

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:29 am

Who cares what the neighbors might say or think. At least your neighbors don't park in their front yard or block the side walk like this one of ours does. :lol:

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:52 am

I have a six foot privacy fence around my back-yard, and 2 Pit-Bulls, who put on a good show when my neighbors peak over, so in my case there is no human factor.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:11 am

Fritzkrieg wrote:I have a six foot privacy fence around my back-yard, and 2 Pit-Bulls, who put on a good show when my neighbors peak over, so in my case there is no human factor.
I like your way of thinking! :lol:

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:35 am

i would do it.

if the neighbors dont like go tell them to go f*ck themselves.

lol sorry my mom is from New York. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

J/K

I think it is a good idea :idea:

I mean i would have them EVERYWHERE
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:37 am

Fritzkrieg wrote:I have a six foot privacy fence around my back-yard, and 2 Pit-Bulls, who put on a good show when my neighbors peak over, so in my case there is no human factor.
Im not coming to your house :D :shock: :shock: :shock:

HATE DOGS!
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:38 am

Panther F wrote:Who cares what the neighbors might say or think. At least your neighbors don't park in their front yard or block the side walk like this one of ours does. :lol:
OHH im lucky I live on 4 1/2 acres. :D
--Samuel Beckett

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:49 pm

I live on the end of a dead end street. I take my models out often and take pictures of them. No one sees me, but the mail man did take a second look when he came by. :D
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:28 pm

A friend of my wife's work was over last night and HAD to see my hobby room after all of what my wife has told her. She thought it was neat to see 10 planes hanging from the ceiling, 1/18 and 1/16th tanks on large shelves and 1/35th models everywhere.

I was surprised to see that reaction. All of my old racing friends scoff at what I do now.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:46 pm

I am little self conscious especially with the WWII German stuff. I don't want people thinking I am some sort of neo Nazi.... besides I now live on main street. so I don't take anything out side.

Beside the Hanson brothers from Slap Shot come to mind....LOL :lol:

Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:42 pm

VMF115 wrote:I am little self conscious especially with the WWII German stuff. I don't want people thinking I am some sort of neo Nazi.... besides I now live on main street. so I don't take anything out side.

Neo Nazi pufffff

I love the ww2 german stuff.
--Samuel Beckett

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:25 pm

VMF115 wrote:I am little self conscious especially with the WWII German stuff. I don't want people thinking I am some sort of neo Nazi.... besides I now live on main street. so I don't take anything out side.

Hah.

They still live around here and a couple of them coach local hockey... That made me laught out loud though, with the picture.

Classic.

I liked Newman's reaction to them over the phone to the GM... Just classic stuff.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

killoff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by killoff » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:23 am

"Slapshot". That's a funny movie back in the day. I haven't really even thought about taking my stuff outside. My downstairs is pretty big and that suffices. I do love the German/SS uniforms and vehicles colors they incorporated. They kicked !

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:49 am

cornbreadfred wrote:I live on the end of a dead end street. I take my models out often and take pictures of them. No one sees me, but the mail man did take a second look when he came by. :D
When I lived in an apartment, the UPS delivery guy was asking me what all these huge, light boxes were that he was delivering ... I brought him in and showed him my living room, which had three of them out at the time.

He seemed pretty interested.

Your mail carrier may already know. :)

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:50 am

I live in the boonies, so I guess I could take my junk outside and nobody would laugh because nobody would see... However I don't think I have the ambition to load it all up and take it out. :?
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:05 am

When my XD does go outside, it is usually in my backyard where no one really sees it.

However, there have been a number of times that I created diorama setups at my family's cabin in the local Sierra Nevada mountiains. The cabin (which is really a house) is located in a residiental area that is heavily forrested. The undergrowth right out in the front yard of my cabin works perfectly as a 1:18 scale forrest, so I've had planes, tanks, and action figures out there many times in variable weather conditions, quite often with other neighbors around. No one ever paid any attention to me, even when I had my RC Panzer IV running around wtih its sound features. I guess the undergrowth hid my toys and everyone else simply thought I was gardening...

I also once took my 1:18 scale RC tanks over to the house of some elementary school age students that I tutored as part of a previous part-time job as an academic tutor. I figured they would get a kick out of playing with the tanks after their lesson. They and their mom (a wealthy doctor) were fascinated by them :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am

One thing I have found about 1:18th scale models, people really are impressed by the sheer size of the models. I have many members of my family who think my models are really cool. I show them off all the time.
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:10 am

cornbreadfred wrote:One thing I have found about 1:18th scale models, people really are impressed by the sheer size of the models. I have many members of my family who think my models are really cool. I show them off all the time.
YUP :D
--Samuel Beckett

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Some will remember a photo shoot I did with ALL of my 1:18 planes all in the driveway. It was pretty impressive...

Anyway, on that day I did have a couple people stop and stare. On guy rolled by and thought it was some kind of aircraft yard sale. While my back was turned he got out of his car actually got as far as having picked one up and started to approach me as if ask how much for it. I explained that it was not for sale and that I was taking pictures for a Toy company. As he left and drove off I thought ok that was funny. Then another car came by with kids and they stopped and all piled out of the van!

Later that afternoon I discovered that there was a left over Yard Sale sign someone left pointing into my street and apparently a few people thought this had to be it!

I plan to shoot another photo when I get a bigger driveway as the collection is easily 2x the size now. LOL

TEXAS_HOSS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by TEXAS_HOSS » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

I went to TRU once and was buying some XD stuff, the lady, looked at me like i was crazy, and asked if that was for a family member, i said, no im a collector and she chuckeled and gave me my change... :evil:
When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Yes, I've gotten the stare or two when I walked up to the register with a bunch of figure cards or boxes. Other times, the clerks thought the stuff was pretty neat and were actually surprised something like that was in stock. Whether the clerks think I'm wierd or not, I am simply bringing their store business and helping them in some small way to get their paycheck :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."