Value of keeping an XD model, stock VS custom

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Value of keeping an XD model, stock VS custom

Post by Jay » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:20 pm

So here's my question for you guys. Seeing as though (with the demise of 21st) XD items are now more collectable. Is their significant drawbacks in customising these models instead of just leaving them stock?
I always look at the landing gear areas on some of the xd planes and think "that could look so much better". I have no intent of selling them in the future, but I like the idea of being in possession of something "collectable". I don't have huge multiples of anything so I can't have a "custom" model and a MIB model stored in an attic.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Typically, if you modify any "collectible" from its original appearance, (good or bad) it will deminish the value of that item.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Actualy, I keep one of each models mint in box. Spare ones are for customising.
I keep one of each model mint in box just for reference and for my collection only. I don't plan to sale them. just want to keep them.

phil

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:07 pm

Paint it up man!!! You do a good job with some weathering or adding parts and a serious collector will recognize it and pay for it. Some one will buy it!! I have two Apaches, one is the regular and the other is painted in IDF colors, I know that with the going prices for the Apache, that I would make a killing with the IDF one. I know you said you cant have two of each but my point is that I know I would get more money for the custom than for the stock bird.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Unfortunately for "collectors", the "last gasp" 21C sale by MD, has meant many guys now have a large (in some cases, huge) stocks of 21C.

"Collectors" will have to wait a year or two before their toys will appreciate in value as "super rare". Of course, that assumes that no manufacturer buys the molds and starts cranking out those "rare" toys.......... if in fact that hasn't already happened.. :wink:

Collecting anything hoping to sell at a huge profit is chancy.

Case in point, is 21C's 1/6 WSC. Last in TRU, they went for under $70 on clearance. Now, NIB, they go for $500 up, on eBay. while Armor Hobbies brought out a great Sdkfz 250 in 1/6 a few years ago for $229. Now four years later, they still are sold for $229. Supply and demand. 21C is gone, after years of our favorite toys. The smaller AH is still here with stocks of the Sdkfz 250. Who'd a thunk?

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:19 pm

I think it depends on the model or the paint job too. Some are pretty rare, best done if you have one for back-up.

I just found my 21st S1 Corsair and man the factory paint is crappy. A sure candidate for a repaint.
I think you can paint or modify a few of the Corsairs or even the Atlantic Avenger and actually increase the value depending on how well you are with the paint details.

Look at some of Airstrike Toys paint and modifications, and the prices $$.

While I don't think I have the skill to do much modification of the aircraft, I would have no problem repainting a few of them.

I would pick one there are plenty of and have the lowest resale value if you're not sure. A few though expensive will be re-issued soon by JSI, like the Corsair, P-40B, P-38, and yet another Stuka.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:19 pm

that remember that I still have my AH 250 boxed with add-on parts waiting to be build...

phil

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:47 pm

I think it depends on the collector's market, for that paticular item. Star Wars for example is more focused on Original mint retail examples. But, military lines tend to appeal to model collectors were a well done completed or customized model is usually more valued.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Yeah, just keep the box. Nothing like trying to pack a loose 1:18 airplane re-painted or not, and try to ship it if you do decide to unload it. :wink:

BELTxFED
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BELTxFED » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 pm

I suggest asking Teamski about speculating in XD ...He's had a pretty good month on eBay :idea:

JamesW
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JamesW » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 am

For me "collecting" is more about my own enjoyment. Although i like to think I have something someone will give me $ for in the future (if I need the money). That is only a possibility (and sadly when ya need the money, hey where's that buyer?).

So I have always opened up packages because I enjoy the models more when I can touch em and really look at them. To heck with the potential resale "value" down the road. If I wanted to invest I'd invest in the stock market (oops! maybe not, Gold maybe??)

If you'd be happier modifying a model, I say make yourself happy. This is a hobby right, a selfish past time. Enjoy!

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:08 am

JamesW, you know - as obvious as it sounds, your right. I guess someone can tell themselves "my model is worth $xxx - but it's only worth that if somebody actually buys it. Although I do wish I could have multiples of everything, i pretty much just have to enjoy the stuff I have. Maybe I'll just consider landing gear assemblies and leave out the heavy plastic surgery. Still undecided on weather to keep original XD paint schemes.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 am

I've heard that from most collectors, but lately XD has been doing just about the best I've ever seen in appreciation of value, and I have many different toy lines I collect.

I open some of mine, but I got tired of seeing the same ones up there hanging on display so I rotate them. I don't have room for everyone I own.
First time I did that I was panicking whether or not I kept the box, but I found it. They are easy to put back if you tire of them. Luckily I kept the twisty ties too.

Seems to me you can't really ruin the value of these planes no matter what you do, unless you absolutely butcher one or break them.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 am

I dont care Unless it is like the spit or something but then i will still mod it a little. :D

I weathered my Bunker Hill Corsair and just finished recently and I am repainting my Snake stuka to be historically correct. :wink:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:09 am

it has to be for your own enjoyment...
to collect toys as investment will put a lot of unwanted frustration into your hobby.
Sure there is always the suprise - finding out something you bought for $19.99 can be now sold for $100-200
even the $100 toy can be later sold for $200 and up

not a bad investment -

but the big picture - as investment your gonna need 300-400 of these toys to beable to pay off bills and living expenses for what a few weeks?
maybe these toys can go toward that dream vacation - after hours of work boxing and packing and shipping.....

one way I invested with toys was before my engagement....
I had a transformers collection and Vintage POTF that I had been building up from Childhood - Boxed sand skiff, carded figures and all.
Ebay was pretty new then and not as expensive - before episode 1 there really wasnt a market and it was easy to find items at discount but I used the hype from episode 1 to sell my entire collection
I was able to use the money - which unfortunately was probably cents on the dollar to what I paid but was still able to purhase a nice large engagement ring, pay for the honeymoon and have some money left over. The wedding ring actually was ensured for three times what I paid for it - sp probBLY a bit closer to what I originally put into the POTF collection.

toys and collectables should be about %5-10 of investing - i would put gold and coins in that same catagory -
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:11 am

Jay,

If you have no plans to sell your XD, enjoy it and repaint them as you wish. Your work is very good and the value of a well made custom is often demonstrated by the Hun, picklehaube, and other daily. If modifying your stuff turns you on, I say do it and don't worry about what others think. That is truly enjoying your hobby.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:18 am

KAMIKAZE wrote:Jay,

If you have no plans to sell your XD, enjoy it and repaint them as you wish. Your work is very good and the value of a well made custom is often demonstrated by the Hun, picklehaube, and other daily. If modifying your stuff turns you on, I say do it and don't worry about what others think. That is truly enjoying your hobby.

Mark

yes I agree -
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 am

I also agree, as long as it adds to the subject and not detracts, its all good.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.