Skyworks Toys Update

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Skyworks Toys Update

Post by donnieboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:26 pm

If you go to Jack Plonka's website (www.skyworkstoys.com) and click on "Spitfire Mark 14 and 18" from the left-hand panel, you'll see that Jack has posted mucho pix of the new Skyworks Spitfire Mark XIVe. This is the S1 paint scheme, Johnnie Johnson's plane. I got my model of this plane in the mail the other week, and I must say, Jack's photos don't do it justice. This piece has to be seen to be believed. The fuselage, wings, and tail assembly are spot-on, as is the big blocky cowling for the Griffon engine. The five-bladed Rotol propeller is beautifully rendered, and comes with the appropriate blade decals. The huge radiators, wing cannons, and landing gear are nicely-done, and the clear bubble canopy fits snugly on the cockpit. This model has beautifully detailed riveting and panel lines. The paint job is perfection and extremely accurate. I couldn't be more satisfied with this Spitfire!
Jack's packing system has improved immensely. He now packs his models in a very sturdy and compact box with a foam rubber-padded lid. The mode itself is encased in huge foam rubber blocks that cushion it and keep it from jiggling around in transit. My model arrived in perfect shape.
I really feel that with this Spit XIV and his previous Hawker Hurricane, Jack is starting to hit 'em out of the park.
In other news, the Skyworks website has pix of the various paint schemes available for the new Skyworks Ki-61 Hien (Tony), as well as those for the upcoming P-40E. The latter will include Jack Chennault's Aleutian paint scheme, and Robert Scott's AVG-USAAF paint scheme.
Check these developments out on the Skyworks website, and order some of Jack Plonka's incredible warbird models. Jack and his models won't be around for ever!
Donnieboy Over!
Go Starbuck!

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Nice review, but i don't think Frank will find many buyers on this forum.. :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:23 pm

That is my favorite Spitfire mark. I love that huge 5-blade prop. If you ever get a chance to hear one of those fly, it is a wonderful sound!
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

skyraider
Corporal
Corporal

Post by skyraider » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Wow, that Spitfire is a beauty. That P-40E caught my attention. Are the models shipped fully assembled?
Dylan

art2614
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by art2614 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:33 pm

Isn't Skyworks the one that rips people off? Way to much for their models! IMO
A place for 1/18 chit chat with no BS
www.fighting118th.com
[img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w26/KISSDAWIND/temp_logo.jpg[/img]

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Skyworks Toys Update

Post by donnieboy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Skyraider: Jack Plonka's models are shipped fully assembled, although the propeller, canopy, wheels and antennae (if any) are packed in a small plastic bag within the shipping box to avoid breakage in transit. You just snap on the prop, canopy, wheels, and antennae and your model is ready for display.
Harry Worth and Art2614: I agree that at $500-$700 a pop, Skyworks Toys warbirds are expensive, but are the furthest thing from a rip-off. Think about the many months it must take Jack to research a given warbird's particulars-its shape, small details, and paint schemes. Then you must carve your master patterns for each part, make your molds, cast each part in resin, trim and sand each part, put in steel reinforcing pins as necessary, assemble said parts into a complete model, vacuform a canopy, and then mask and paint the finished model. Sheesh! It takes Jack an average of TEN DAYS to build one specimen of a given model. Under these circumstances, it seems to me that $700 is dirt-cheap. Those other small companies that make museum-quality replicas (such as that Czechoslovakian company) charge multiple thousands of dollars to make you a large-scale warbird model.
I know lots of people on this forum have limited financial means and can't possibly afford Jack's models. I truly feel very sorry for that, but Skyworks Toys models are of unexcelled quality and worth every penny. If you think you're going to find a Hurricane, Spit Mark XIV, or Ki-61 Tony in Wal-Mart for $39 anytime soon, good luck with that. Finally, we must remember that Jack Plonka and his beautiful planes won't be around forever. Jack has a day job doing design engineering for Toyota. Sooner or later he's going to get sick of spending long evenings making warbird models for what amounts to about ten dollars per hour!
Thank you all for looking at this post. I am not a schill for Jack Plonka or Skyworks Toys. I just want to clue y'all in to the treasure we have here with Jack's incredible warbird models-Donnieboy Out!
Last edited by donnieboy on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Starbuck!

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Donnieboy,
I think you misunderstood the point of my post.. If you have read any of Pickelhaubs posts about Frank/Skyworks, you will see that Frank has been dishonest to him and a few others on here that has since angered MANY members here.

So, when I say that Frank won't find many buyers here, it isn't because of money..

Sorry......... :oops:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Skyworks Toys Update

Post by donnieboy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Harry Worth: Sorry I misconstrued the intent of your post. I did think you were alluding to the cost of Skyworks models. I am aware of the problems between Jack and Picklehaube. I myself had some early issues with Jack that were mainly due to misunderstandings on my part. However, these have been cleared up. I can only say that Jack has always been very straight with me and that all the models he has sent me have been of extremely high quality and accuracy. I am getting several paint schemes of every plane he turns out. However, I respect the opinions of you and every other member of this forum. In the final analysis, everbody must decide for themselves regarding Skyworks Toys. I can only relate my experiences with Jack Plonka. They have only been very happy ones! Donnieboy
Go Starbuck!

pickelhaube

Re: Skyworks Toys Update

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:19 pm

donnieboy wrote:Harry Worth: Sorry I misconstrued the intent of your post. I did think you were alluding to the cost of Skyworks models. I am aware of the problems between Jack and Picklehaube. I myself had some early issues with Jack that were mainly due to misunderstandings on my part. However, these have been cleared up. I can only say that Jack has always been very straight with me and that all the models he has sent me have been of extremely high quality and accuracy. I am getting several paint schemes of every plane he turns out. However, I respect the opinions of you and every other member of this forum. In the final analysis, everbody must decide for themselves regarding Skyworks Toys. I can only relate my experiences with Jack Plonka. They have only been very happy ones! Donnieboy
Well at one time I conciderd Jack a friend of mine that has changed. I even was going to become quasi partners with him. That has changed as well.

My P-36 IS STILL NOT HERE WITH NO HELP FROM JACK WHAT SO EVER.

Also I was going to build a Spitfire at the time jack talked me out of it.

Then he built one himself.

I was building a Tony but shelved it. Now he is building one.

I did a mock up of a P-40 E. Now he is building one.

Maybe if I say I am going to build a P-39 he will build one of those as well.

I am still going to do my Tony and P-40 E. I will build it XD style like my P-36 so the average guy can afford it.

BTW Jack has NEVER COME THROUGH WITH ANYTHING HE TOLD ME HE WAS GOING TO DO. That is a fact.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller